Fedora's Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fedora's Jacket

Post by Mike »

In talking with Richard Young, he also told me this little nugget about his jacket...
As a side note, Steven had put me in a brown leather jacket and changed his mind going with the black jacket that appears in the film. At the end of production, Steven gifted the jacket to me which I still have!
And he was kind enough to send pics...
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fedora's Jacket

Post by Dalexs »

:shock:

Nice!
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Super interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess I didn't know it was black. I thought dark brown.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I never realized how "unique" Fedora's jacket was. I guess I never paid close attention to what he really had on... :-k
It's a treat to see this prop, this way. Thanks for posting it!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That is so flippin' cool! Weird looking jacket, but so neat that he got to keep it and shared this with you.

Cheers. :TOH:
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Nice!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Oh my god, this is awesome. :shock:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

captblitzdawg wrote:I never realized how "unique" Fedora's jacket was. I guess I never paid close attention to what he really had on... :-k
Agreed, my first thought was "look at all those pockets."

Super cool to see the real deal.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Very cool. I guess those are sueded cuffs and collar? Yeah, and check out the patch pockets! Awesome!

And if you go over to the Fedora's Fedora thread in the Fedora section, the first post has a picture of him wearing the jacket. That's it alright!
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

How I have I (or any of us) never noticed the suede accents before? The brain really does see what it wants to.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Lightning wrote:How I have I (or any of us) never noticed the suede accents before? The brain really does see what it wants to.
Right? but knowing g where to look now, sure enough. wow.

Also, according to the Indiana Jones wiki, his name is Garth. That's definitely new to me haha.
"Fedora" is the name of the character given in the script and credits. While the subtitles on both the 2003 and 2008 editions of the Last Crusade DVD acknowledge the Fedora name spoken by Roscoe, Ryder Windham's junior novelization of the film and the Spanish dub of the film gives his name as Garth
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Lightning wrote:How I have I (or any of us) never noticed the suede accents before? The brain really does see what it wants to.
The suede was the first thing that jumped out to me and I initially went “huh?” But sure enough it’s all there! Pretty cool that even after all these years we can still learn new things!
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Might be an additional character to cosplay.

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Wow!!! - I always wanted to see this up close. It's difficult to make out in the film. Sure is a thin, soft hide; I knew about the black accents on thte collar, but I thought they were corduroy. Thanks very much for this.

Things I didn't notice are; suede cuffs, gold/brass buttons; fourth pocket with suede flap; triple stitched seams; odd angle of the top pocket opening.
Last edited by CM on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Actually, not sure how thin it is. I just got this additional tidbit from Mr. Young.
That jacket is built to last. A bit heavier than I would have liked as some of the days on top of the train were a bit warm!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Mike wrote:Actually, not sure how thin it is. I just got this additional tidbit from Mr. Young.
That jacket is built to last. A bit heavier than I would have liked as some of the days on top of the train were a bit warm!
Fair enough - it looks to be a thin hide, you can see from the drape and creasing. That doesn't mean it isn't heavy - it looks like if could be cowhide - I'd say around 2.2oz and that would be difficult to wear in a warm place if you are moving about. Of course I can't know for certain. :Plymouth:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Western Costume? I remember it being reported that the jacket was made by Peter. Michaelson had a version made about 15 years ago.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

That's great that he got to keep it as a souvenir of the movie, and that he still has it all these years later.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

CM wrote:Western Costume? I remember it being reported that the jacket was made by Peter. Michaelson had a version made about 15 years ago.
Yep, I did and still have it.

Peter made the claim, but said he didn’t keep the pattern and would have to make it again by memory. He asked for screen shots to ‘refresh his memory’. :-k

That puzzled me at the time, but I just rolled with it. ;)

He actually did a darn good job. All he missed was the compass pocket and the odd cuffs.

Regards! Michaelson
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

This is amazing! We replicated this one as well and, although we got the suede collar, we definitely missed the suede cuffs and the extra flapped pocket. Too cool! If anyone wants to commission an updated version, we'd LOVE to do this one accurately. It's a crazy jacket.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

What is amazing is that in the picture, even though he says it is black, it looks brown in the lighting.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Charybdis wrote:What is amazing is that in the picture, even though he says it is black, it looks brown in the lighting.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on how it was worded, I am assuming Young meant that the initial, unused brown jacket was the one gifted to him?
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

No, that is the screen used jacket. If you compare it to the one in the Fedora thread, then you can see its the same.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Kind of interesting that the cuffs remind me of US Cavalry from the F-Troop days, if you were around to remember that show.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Mike wrote:No, that is the screen used jacket. If you compare it to the one in the Fedora thread, then you can see its the same.
It doesn't even look like it's distressed in the movie, so I'm not surprised it's in such great shape. I doubt Richard Young wears it at all.
Ghostsoldier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Tibor wrote:Kind of interesting that the cuffs remind me of US Cavalry from the F-Troop days, if you were around to remember that show.
Sadly, I'm from that generation and remember that TV show well.

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Ghostsoldier wrote:
Tibor wrote:Kind of interesting that the cuffs remind me of US Cavalry from the F-Troop days, if you were around to remember that show.

I loved F-troop too. Nothing to be sad about. It's good fortune to be able to look back across decades. I watched it on TV about 45 years ago. Oh Sarge!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CM wrote:
Ghostsoldier wrote:

I loved F-troop too. Nothing to be sad about. It's good fortune to be able to look back across decades. I watched it on TV about 45 years ago. Oh Sarge!
I loved F Troop as a kid. But I will ask, looking at pictures from the show, they seem to have typical cavalry uniforms. Nothing special about the cuffs. Unless it's the impression of cuffs when some of the cast would roll up their sleeves to reveal the red union suit. :-k

On the off topic of F troop, has anyone been to the "trading post" called F troop "Fort Courage" on I-40 on the way to Vegas? It's great. Not sure it it's still there or not.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hmmm, guess you’re right. We only had fuzzy black and white TV as a kid so ...

I have seen that style of uniform cuff somewhere... I’ll have to look around. Similar in design to some confederate civil war uniforms.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Mike wrote:No, that is the screen used jacket. If you compare it to the one in the Fedora thread, then you can see its the same.
Ah, my bad! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Interesting enough, LC is showing on tv as we speak, and you can clearly see the cuffs on top of the train when Garth pulls Indy out of the lion car. You also hear one of his henchmen CALL him Garth when they first find the cross.

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

And if you compare the color of the jacket to the hat, the jacket does look quite darker than the brown fedora he is wearing.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Charybdis wrote:And if you compare the color of the jacket to the hat, the jacket does look quite darker than the brown fedora he is wearing.
I've always thought it was black especially in the outside scenes. But you're def italy right, compared to any browns around and it's much darker.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Dark brown often looks black on film.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I always liked his jacket, but like everyone else, I never noticed all the little details. I too thought the collar was corduroy and never really paid any attention to the cuffs. The leather looks similar to modern-day G-1s.