Current batch of Wested pre distressed cowhide?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Current batch of Wested pre distressed cowhide?

Post by Hammerklavier »

If anybody has their recent pre distressed cowhide made jacket, is it substantial weight? I had two jacket made from pre distressed cowhide, one weight around 2 lbs and another was over 4 lbs.

I asked Wested and they didn't answer my question.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Current batch of Wested pre distressed cowhide?

Post by CM »

Hammerklavier wrote:If anybody has their recent pre distressed cowhide made jacket, is it substantial weight? I had two jacket made from pre distressed cowhide, one weight around 2 lbs and another was over 4 lbs.

Interesting difference. I can't answer except to say that Wested cowhide weighs between 2.oz and 2.5oz and never goes heavier. It's heavy fashion hide. My Australian made bike jacket, of a similar size to an Indy, weighs 6 pounds and is 3.5oz.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

CM wrote:
Hammerklavier wrote:If anybody has their recent pre distressed cowhide made jacket, is it substantial weight? I had two jacket made from pre distressed cowhide, one weight around 2 lbs and another was over 4 lbs.

Interesting difference. I can't answer except to say that Wested cowhide weighs between 2.oz and 2.5oz and never goes heavier. It's heavy fashion hide. My Australian made bike jacket, of a similar size to an Indy, weighs 6 pounds and is 3.5oz.
Thanks for your information, I returned the one that is super lightweight and asked for heavier one and I got 4.3 lbs jacket, not sure which one represents pre distressed hide better. Of course, that was 4 years ago.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Didn't they change their pre-distressed hide a few years ago? I know they've been using something that's less marbled, I guess you could call it. I know their previous pre-distressed started looking more and more like it had been stamped on and was getting a feel more and more like linoleum flooring. I believe they may have said the newer stuff they've switched to maybe 2-3 years ago is lighter and more supple, or at least breaks in more supple.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hammerklavier wrote:
CM wrote:

Thanks for your information, I returned the one that is super lightweight and asked for heavier one and I got 4.3 lbs jacket, not sure which one represents pre distressed hide better. Of course, that was 4 years ago.
Not sure but I would expect a pre distressed hide jacket in a size 42 to weigh around 4 pounds, so that would sound right. Two pounds is super light for cowhide and sounds more like lamb.