Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Dr._J »

Hey All,

Is this a Cairo or Hawaii Pocket? Thanks.

Regards, Dr. J
Last edited by Dr._J on Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It doesn't match up with the RH Hawaii pictures on the BK website, so I would think it's Hero. Where's the picture from? Would be helpful to know.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Did you mean Cairo or Hawaii? That photo is a pretty similar to the pockets on my Hawaii jacket. The pocket flaps on BK's Cairo model would have more subtle scalloping and be a bit narrower over all.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

The photo is from my new BK that arrived yesterday. It’s the Hawaii version but as stated, they don’t match the pockets on the website. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a mistake.
andrea1984
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by andrea1984 »

It’s the same to my Cairo hero RH
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Yeah, not a mistake. I find them a bit exaggerated, but it doesn't bother me. The Cairo model seems to have more screen accurate pocket flaps overall. The photos on their website look similar to me, but a bit narrower.

How's the jacket as a whole?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Dr._J wrote:Hey All,

Is this a Cairo or Hawaii Pocket? Thanks.

Regards, Dr. J
IMG_6898.jpg
I'm not seeing any differences between your photo and the SA/Hawaii version shown on the BK site. They look identical.

What leather did you get? I'd like to see the whole jacket as it looks rather lighter brown in that photo.

Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I dig the jacket; I just wasn’t sure about the pockets. It’s darker than it appears in the photo. It changes in the light. If someone would please explain to me how to post pics I’d be glad to share along with a review. Thanks.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Dr._J wrote:I dig the jacket; I just wasn’t sure about the pockets. It’s darker than it appears in the photo. It changes in the light. If someone would please explain to me how to post pics I’d be glad to share along with a review. Thanks.
Open an imgur account and upload the pics there. Then use the Img button when writing the post to post direct links to the pics or use URL button to post the hyperlinks.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey All,

As alluded to in my earlier post, I received an early Christmas present from myself...to myself.

I received (after almost five months) a Kelso Relic Hunter in Striated Lamb. It's an amazing jacket with an amazing hide and cut. As other have stated, it's amazing how light the jacket is yet it feels so much more substantial than other jackets I've owned (and I've owned ALOT). ;)

The craftsmanship is top-drawer. The stitching and materials used are amazing! The sliders and nickel hardware are as "Raiders" as it gets. It just feels "quality" and I wish I could adequately describe the smell with words. Those who own this jacket know what I mean.

I asked for the Hawaii version with the pointed collar. Also, I asked for "few striations" in the leather. I was concerned it would look like "dino-hide" if I didn't but that isn't a problem with this hide. The subtle striations in the leather just add character to the jacket. I'm confident with wear and natural weathering it will just gain more character.

The fit is the best part. I am 5'10 and weigh 220. I'm not a small guy. I usually wear a 44 Reg and that's exactly what I ordered. Andy said there would be extra room in the chest and he was right. It fits beautifully! It falls off the shoulder slightly and felt like a second skin right out of the box.

In summary, I'm stoked I bought a Kelso!. Originally, I was dubious about spending so much but I'm glad I did. Ultimately, I bought the jacket I deemed to be the best Raiders jacket for ME. It fits great, and the materials and hardware are perfect! I can't recommend it enough! I could have done without the five month-long weight but ultimately, it was well worth it! As others have said, "you can't rush quality!"

Regards, Dr. J
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Dr. J

Beautiful jacket and perfect fit. Wear it in good health.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Awesome looking jacket Dr. J! It fits great on you, congrats. :clap:

I suspect that perhaps your jacket took so long is because you requested few if any striations and maybe they needed more time to find the appropriate pieces to make your jacket. I, on the other hand, actually want the striations plentiful. Exactly how the product pics look on the site.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Dr. J - I remember that out of the box feeling well. It’s a great one, and that jacket looks great on you. Another home run for BK.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Awesome. Congrats!
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

Another masterleatherpiece from Bk,congratulations ! :TOH:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Also, that’s a spectacular Raiders hat you’re wearing in the pics. What make is it?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

I am wondering the same about the hat ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Great fit! Looks good. You described it well. Seems paradoxical that it is lightweight and substantial, but there you go. Just wait till you get those natural creases and it really conforms to you. Then it will really be your jacket. :TOH:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Thanks Gents! The hat is an Adventurebilt in 100% Beaver custom made to my specifications by Mr. Steve Delk. It's MY "holy grail". ;) :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Nothing like the intoxicating leather smell of a new Kelso, right? Perfect fit and hide. Nicely done! :TOH:
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Tibor wrote:Nothing like the intoxicating leather smell of a new Kelso, right? Perfect fit and hide. Nicely done! :TOH:
Thanks buddy!
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

So, I ordered my RH on November 30th. The only confirmation I ever got was that my order was Processing. Did I maybe miss a confirmation, or is it possible it’s still procession over a month later?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Your order won't be confirmed until they email you to go over and double check the measurements of the jacket you ordered. My follow up email was about 6 weeks after I placed the order.
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Okay so it should be any day now, cool. Thanks for the info!
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

Hate to double post but: I got my email confirming sizing today! Andy told me they should get it shipped to me in February, so that I have it when I commission and move away. I’m very excited!
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Great news! Congratulations and enjoy your new jacket when it arrives!
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Anybody know if Mr. Andy is ok? I have payed for half of my jacket in advance and I have sent him several emails letting him know what size and lengths I want but he has not emailed me back in almost a month. I don't know if My jacket is in line to be made or what. I just wanted to see if anybody knew anything. if he is well then I afraid I may have made him mad or annoyed him.

Thanks
Cabe 8)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Huh? How do you pay for only half a jacket? From all my experiences ordering, BK doesn’t take down-payments...

BK is occasionally slow in responding to emails, since they don’t have a separate customer support wing. Andy runs the business and handles orders.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Andy was online at COW on March 5th. Maybe try a PM.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Mulceber wrote:Huh? How do you pay for only half a jacket? From all my experiences ordering, BK doesn’t take down-payments...

BK is occasionally slow in responding to emails, since they don’t have a separate customer support wing. Andy runs the business and handles orders.

He allowed me to pay for about half under the terms that if I canceled the order the half I payed was not refundable

Caber 8)
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Caber wrote:Anybody know if Mr. Andy is ok? I have payed for half of my jacket in advance and I have sent him several emails letting him know what size and lengths I want but he has not emailed me back in almost a month. I don't know if My jacket is in line to be made or what. I just wanted to see if anybody knew anything. if he is well then I afraid I may have made him mad or annoyed him.

Thanks
Cabe 8)
Why have you only paid for half a jacket? If he's doing you a favour, be patient.
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

xmasters wrote:
Caber wrote:Anybody know if Mr. Andy is ok? I have payed for half of my jacket in advance and I have sent him several emails letting him know what size and lengths I want but he has not emailed me back in almost a month. I don't know if My jacket is in line to be made or what. I just wanted to see if anybody knew anything. if he is well then I afraid I may have made him mad or annoyed him.

Thanks
Cabe 8)
Why have you only paid for half a jacket? If he's doing you a favour, be patient.
He is letting me pay the rest once its made due to using a leather that is no longer in stock and will not be restocked.

Ok ill be more patient. That's basically the question I was asking was if I just need to be more patient.

Caber 8)
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

xmasters wrote:

Thanks
Cabe 8)
I wont lie I am supper anxious to get this jacket. Mr. Andy's work should be in a museum. Its that good! Each jacket is a priceless work of art And I cant wait to show you guys the jacket once its done.

Caber 8)

Caber
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Which leather did you get? Victory?
Caber
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Caber »

Canasta wrote:Which leather did you get? Victory?
I got Italian goat. its a lighter brown then his regular goat.

Caber 8)
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I have recently become the proud owner of a Bill Kelso Indy jacket. The previous owner received it as a gift, but decided to part ways with it because he has only worn it twice and wants more room in his closet. I am not sure how long he has owned it. Being that it was a fantastic price and that the jacket was exactly my size, I could not pass it up! I received the jacket on Saturday and it fits like a glove. It's obvious that it is a very well made product.

...but here's my dilemma. The seller indicated that the jacket was the "Fortune and Glory" model from Kelso. Upon receiving it, I compared it to the photo of the Fortune and Glory that is on Kelso's website. The 2 big differences that I noticed were that the side strap buckles were not the SOLIDE model and the snaps on the pocket flaps were not the NEWEY style as indicated on the web site. The buckles DID however match the style that comes on the Relic Hunter.

And then there's the condition of the leather. It definitely looks like the striated lambskin (definitely more textured), but there was also an odd white-ish film over the entire jacket that gave it a sort of sticky, rubbery feel. I cleaned and conditioned the entire jacket and it has made a world of difference in bringing the leather back to life. It may take a few more follow up treatments, but I definitely think it's on the right track.

Based on my research, I think the jacket is a Relic Hunter South America '36 in the striated lamb. I would love it if the wise sages of COW could weigh in and give me some opinions on which model the jacket may be and how accurate my assumptions are. I will attach some photos below.

Post cleaning and conditioning:

Here are 2 "before" pics:

Any info is helpful. Thanks everyone!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The white film on the leather is most likely fatty spue. https://www.leather-dictionary.com/inde ... on_leather" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the Relic Hunter jackets were numbered in some way. If you can find a tag with a number, you could contact BK directly and they can give you all the detailed specs.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Indiana Jeff wrote:The white film on the leather is most likely fatty spue. https://www.leather-dictionary.com/inde ... on_leather" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the Relic Hunter jackets were numbered in some way. If you can find a tag with a number, you could contact BK directly and they can give you all the detailed specs.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks Indiana Jeff, I think you're spot on with the spue :lol: I thought that it may have been previously treated with some sort of weatherproofing that was maybe over-applied, or applied incorrectly, but that's merely speculation.

I've seen the posts from other Relic Hunter owners talking about the finding the numbers somewhere in the lining of their jackets. I've looked, but so far I have not had any luck in finding the number. I don't recall reading if there was a specific place where the numbers are usually stamped. So far I've only been able to find the "Manufactured by Bill Kelso MFG" tag under the one pocket flap and the size tag under the other, but I'm still searching. Thanks again for the insight!
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

I am not an expert, I am just shooting from the hip. But, I seem to recall the TOD jacket having a larger upper back yoke than the Raiders. Your jacket looks to have a more substantial upper yoke than the Raiders (albeit not as large as the LC).

Thus, perhaps this is the TOD Fortune and Glory as advertised? Others might be able to chime in on the front pocket differences.

Either way, it looks great!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

That looks like the Hawaii (South America) Relic Hunter in striated veg. tanned lamb. It has the original hardware on the straps that BK was using for the first several batches of these jackets. That does not look like the Fortune and Glory at all. Looks like it got soaked at one time for that much grain to be popping out. The number stamped on the lining of the inner pocket rubs off really easily, so no surprise it isn't there any more.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

The puffiness of the striations implies this jacket has definitely been soaked with water at some point.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I knew you guys would come through for me, thank you all for your help. :notworthy: The size of the yoke was the only thing that suggested that it may be a Fortune and Glory. However, considering the jacket is a 48, I felt that the size may have been causing that effect. And when all the other characteristics said "Relic Hunter", I was almost totally convinced. If anything, it was a very pleasant surprise since my "ideal" Kelso was the Relic Hunter Hawaii, by far my favorite sequence in all of the films.

It never donned on me that water may have caused the puffiness in the striations, but it makes perfect sense. Perhaps the previous owner jumped in a river with his jacket on to get away from the Hovitos :D I've also noticed a slight bit of "bleeding" of the brown cotton onto the edges of the Bermans & Nathans tag, which definitely supports the water soaking theory. All things considered, after a bit of rehab, the jacket has a great "adventured-in" look to it, and compliments my authentic lamb Wested Hero nicely.

So this may be a dumb question, but if I was ever interested in "de-puffing", is there any way to do so? My instinct says no, but if anyone would know of a way, you guys would.

Cheers!
Nate
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I don't think you can undo the grain pop at this point. What you may want to use some more leather conditioner on it. What are you using?
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I had some Lexol on hand and have been using that. It's been working fairly well, I'd say. The leather is softer and has a much nicer texture than in its former state. I'm always open to alternate suggestions though. I know Picard's has a loyal following.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah it's definitely not the Temple of Doom jacket is it. It's obviously a Raiders jacket, possibly the '36 others have mentioned.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I would vote that this is a South America '36 Raiders jacket. Awesome find! I'm still waiting for my order which I placed in November. I haven't head anything in months, but with the worldwide pandemic, that's to be expected.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

marker2037 wrote:I would vote that this is a South America '36 Raiders jacket. Awesome find! I'm still waiting for my order which I placed in November. I haven't head anything in months, but with the worldwide pandemic, that's to be expected.
Thanks! Yeah, just by design cues alone, that’s my conclusion. I wasn’t intending on purchasing another jacket, having just received a new Wested Hero about a month or two ago, but when it popped randomly in my eBay search and was my size, I had to go for it.

I’m certain it will be worth the wait. This jacket was in anything but perfect condition when I received it, but the fact that it bounced back as quickly as it did (I’ve only had it 4 days), is really a testament to the quality of the leather. I definitely see a brand new one in my future, but the WAITING!!! That’s what you sign up for when you purchase a Kelso though, I suppose. (Even pre-pandemic). Much credit to Wested though, I received my Hero in no time.

Cheers!
Nate
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hey guys. Planning on ordering very soon a relic hunter. Which leather is best : Grainy Lamb or Goat seal? Let me see your jackets in these leather if you can!

Envoyé de mon JSN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

ltfoley wrote:Hey guys. Planning on ordering very soon a relic hunter. Which leather is best : Grainy Lamb or Goat seal? Let me see your jackets in these leather if you can!

I haven't seen too many examples of those leathers on here... I think maybe just one of each in the past several years. Both looked good to me. Pretty sure they are both chrome tanned leathers, not the vegetable tanned leather of the striated lambskin or the liberty horsehides. Both are a screaming good deal price-wise. I would be tempted to go with the goatskin, simply because it is harder wearing. That said, the lambskin vs. goatskin is kind of an age-old debate, as lambskin is the only leather that will look like the film jacket in the way that the jacket drapes and moves, but of course, is not as durable.

Good luck on making your choice! :TOH:
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
ltfoley wrote:Hey guys. Planning on ordering very soon a relic hunter. Which leather is best : Grainy Lamb or Goat seal? Let me see your jackets in these leather if you can!

I haven't seen too many examples of those leathers on here... I think maybe just one of each in the past several years. Both looked good to me. Pretty sure they are both chrome tanned leathers, not the vegetable tanned leather of the striated lambskin or the liberty horsehides. Both are a screaming good deal price-wise. I would be tempted to go with the goatskin, simply because it is harder wearing. That said, the lambskin vs. goatskin is kind of an age-old debate, as lambskin is the only leather that will look like the film jacket in the way that the jacket drapes and moves, but of course, is not as durable.

Good luck on making your choice! :TOH:
I actually have owned a RH in grainy Lamb years ago. Had to sell it for a size issue.
I was very satisfied with it but I'm curious about the goat too with is sold as tought and durable.