Without Action Back?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Without Action Back?

Post by Grendl »

Ahoy all. I'm a lurker who just joined after receiving my Wested LC in goat. It's great, fits good, and I'm breaking it in, but every time I pass a mirror I'm bothered by the seemingly functionless "action pleats" which look really odd from the side. Just seems like an extra complication that adds "noise" without any real purpose.

I've looked and looked and cannot find anyone who makes a jacket with all the other features of this jacket minus the "action back." Any ideas besides a custom order?

Thanks in advance!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Without Action Back?

Post by lantzn »

If you do find one I believe it will be called the “laid back” option. ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

lantzn wrote:...the “laid back” option. ;)
:roll: :lol:

I think the closest thing you would find to an Indy jacket without action pleats is a half-belt.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Or you could find a company that specializes in customizations of existing styles as well as fully custom leather jackets. 8-[] Magnoli Clothiers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Never heard of em. :-k

:CR:
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Thanks gang! :TOH:
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Wested will do whatever you ask ... My Wested Skyfall has the back pleats sewn down as they also are functionless to a great extent and just Bat-Wing out ... that said arguably its iconic to the Indy Jacket and if you watch the movies .. (what am i saying of course you have) they do have a function in just allowing especially when closed up that little bit of extra movement front to back and up.

al
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

When the elastic band is properly installed in the lining, the action pleats work as designed, and (as said above) allow for ease of forward/backward motion as compared to a jacket without them.

They perform the same kind function as gussets do for the sleeves...ease of motion without the rest of the jacket to ride up.

When they either not installed properly, or are left out, then you're left with the 'bat wing' appearance and non-function.

This band was standard in military flight jackets that had action pleats, and work great.

G&B Expedition jackets have this band, and they, too, make the action pleats function as they were designed to function. If you have an Expo, you'll also notice that the lining mirrored the outside pleat, allowing the lining to move and flex WITH the outside pleat. This set up of band and lining pleat closes the pleat when standing straight, and open when bending forward.

Think of a screen door with a return spring. When the door is open, the spring is expanded, but once the door is released, the spring pulls the door closed. That's what the band does to the action pleat in the jacket.

That said, some people just LIKE the look without the band, as the original Raiders jackets had blown out action pleats due to the missing band, so they're wanting to duplicate that 'look'.

I even recall some members years ago opening the back of their lining and cutting the band on their jackets to get that 'look', be it G&B, USWings, OR Wested. :shock:

Just a bit of 'useless' information for you in case you weren't aware of what was going on (or SUPPOSED to be going on) there. ;)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Very interesting, thank you. I didn't realize the elastic was missing. So it's the "slack jaw" or "floppy bat wing" I find offensive more than the actual pleats. Looks like G&B no longer makes the "Expedition" but US Wings is still good to go?
Michaelson wrote:When the elastic band is properly installed in the lining, the action pleats work as designed, and (as said above) allow for ease of forward/backward motion as compared to a jacket without them.

They perform the same kind function as gussets do for the sleeves...ease of motion without the rest of the jacket to ride up.

When they either not installed properly, or are left out, then you're left with the 'bat wing' appearance and non-function.

This band was standard in military flight jackets that had action pleats, and work great.

G&B Expedition jackets have this band, and they, too, make the action pleats function as they were designed to function. If you have an Expo, you'll also notice that the lining mirrored the outside pleat, allowing the lining to move and flex WITH the outside pleat. This set up of band and lining pleat closes the pleat when standing straight, and open when bending forward.

Think of a screen door with a return spring. When the door is open, the spring is expanded, but once the door is released, the spring pulls the door closed. That's what the band does to the action pleat in the jacket.

That said, some people just LIKE the look without the band, as the original Raiders jackets had blown out action pleats due to the missing band, so they're wanting to duplicate that 'look'.

I even recall some members years ago opening the back of their lining and cutting the band on their jackets to get that 'look', be it G&B, USWings, OR Wested. :shock:

Just a bit of 'useless' information for you in case you weren't aware of what was going on (or SUPPOSED to be going on) there. ;)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep, USWings are still making them with the band.

Wested puts them in as well.

I sure wish the Expedition was still being made.

I'm glad I own two.

Regards! M
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Michaelson wrote:Yep, USWings are still making them with the band.

Wested puts them in as well.

I sure wish the Expedition was still being made.

I'm glad I own two.

Regards! M
Did Nowak add the band?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I believe he did, but it's been too long since I 've had one 'in hand'. :-k

According to this old thread, Tony did.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... stic+strap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

lantzn wrote:Did Nowak add the band?

A quick and dirty search turned up Tony put the band in his CS jackets as a standard practice, but not the ROLA jackets unless requested.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Same for wested. No band unless it's asked for as it's not screen accurate for the first three movies.
AttyOzzy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AttyOzzy »

Hi! I appreciate your inquiry. I must say that I have only had one Indy Jacket where I found the action pleats to be objectionable in appearance (out of 3 vendors and 5 jackets).

I first contemplated a non-action pleat jacket, but ultimately decided that it just isn’t Indy without the pleats. I am happy to PM you on my preferences if you would like to discuss further.

There are several vendors who make the jacket well, with pleats, without them being overly expanded or distractingly inflated. I will say that it heavily depends on which movie version you choose. I will also humbly say that I may have been responsible for the one jacket (in terms of sizing and measurements) that I did not care for.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

The Character wrote:Wested will do whatever you ask ...
al
Well... not exactly...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

knibs7 wrote:
The Character wrote:Wested will do whatever you ask ...
al
Well... not exactly...
:D Yeah, sometimes a little more like rolling dice... they are dear to my heart, but sometimes like a crazy uncle.