Crystal Skull lanterns

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Crystal Skull lanterns

Post by backstagejack »

Anyone else hear of this or has one of these puppies? Looks like it's the lantern that Mutt is carrying around. Seems you can also custom order one if you want.

https://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/me ... ms-Gallery

What a surprise to see where the above lantern turned up when we went to see the latest Indiana Jones movie. Actually, there were five of these that we hand made to a very specific order about a year ago for Genre Productions, a prop company that was working on a "secret" movie project. The name of the movie they were to be used in was never revealed to us, not even a working title. "The lantern" is used and seen for about 5 minutes in the first half of the movie when Dr. Jones is "visiting" an ancient cemetery. The lanterns were built with specially cut "vent" holes to cast light back onto whoever was holding the lantern. The prop company used an ultra high powered, and very hot lamp as a light source, so the lanterns were made with welded and riveted construction so that they would hold up to the heat. Although these were not based on any specific lantern model of the past, they certainly "looked" the part.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Crystal Skull lanterns

Post by Grendl »

Woody has a great company and his website is an amazing resource for lantern collectors. I've spent hours browsing his site and am a repeat customer. I'm now very tempted to purchase one of these to add to the hoard! Thanks a lot!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Interesting! Thanks for the info! I've been getting in to kerosene lanterns over the past year, and have done some perusing on the Kirkman site myself, but I missed seeing this.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

davidd wrote:Interesting! Thanks for the info! I've been getting in to kerosene lanterns over the past year, and have done some perusing on the Kirkman site myself, but I missed seeing this.

I found it completely by accident, I was doing research for a film I'm working on and was looking at Pirates of the Caribbean lanterns. Then while scrolling found this.

I think it's electric? I know the POTC lantern they had was. Makes sense as while filming you'd want something reliable that wouldn't possible burn the place down. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Adam Savage recently posted a video on making a lantern for an electric fire bulb and portability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMv0PlMKkbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff