Water repellant

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Water repellant

Post by GoldenHistorian »

Hey guys,
I haven't posted in a while but just need some help with with an upcoming trip to Florida.
I'm taking my coyles downtowner to WDW in mid March and have just realized there may be Florida rain and occasional chlorine water from any fountains or rides.
Can anyone reccomebt a good water repelling spray for my hat?
I have looked into scouts hat spray but I can't get it over here in the UK. The only option is to get it posted to my hotel and do it the night before.

Any help?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Water repellant

Post by jlee562 »

Scotch guard should do the trick.
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

I second scotchgard. Makes it water resistant. So outside a massive downpour it should be fine.
Wear it in good health and enjoy your trip.
Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've gone on an annual trip to WDW for the past 6 years (just got back this week from one), and find the Scotchgard a good suggestion, though I wear beaver fedora's when the weather allows.

One thing you MAY want to stick in your bag 'just in case' of a long frog strangler storm system (and they can happen) is the cover I got to put in MY day bag 'just in case'.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A felt hat, regardless of felt, can and will soak through if you're caught in a day long down pour. This is especially true for a rabbit or rabbit blend felt. Beaver is MUCH more resistant, but the operative word is 'resistant', not water 'proof'.

This cover is the perfect emergency cover if something like that rears its ugly head.

One year I got caught at Universal Studios park wearing one of my beaver AB's and it rained ALL day. The AB did a great job, but eventually started soaking through, and I was wearing a heavy water logged hat the rest of the day. :(

If I had one of these covers back then, it would have been a MUCH more comfortable day.

I put one in my day bag and belt pack as well, right beside my emergency poncho. They don't take up any room at all! :H:

If it's as humid next month as it was THIS month, you MAY want to poke around for an inexpensive straw fedora to wear as a back up to your fur felt. That's what I did this year....no reason you can't have TWO hats on your adventure! ;)

These hat covers fit straw fedoras too!

Just a couple suggestions from one who's been there and done that at WDW! Have a great trip!

Regard! Michaelson :M:
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

Thank you soo much friends!
I'm gonna take scotch and some protectors. Many thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: