Screen Used Raiders Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Screen Used Raiders Jacket

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Ah I see it now, which hat would you say was used for that exhibit?
Last Crusade hat from Smithsonian as well, if I'm not mistaken. The hat and the jacket were taken out of view when the National Museum of American History did their big renovation. Been in storage or on loan since.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

IJJTM wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs Isn’t this the Raiders Jacket around the 15 minute mark?
That's a GREAT video (which I'd not seen before) with Adam Savage and Deborah Nadoolman talking about the Indy costume!

Which also appears to answer the question (from another COW thread) about Harrison Ford's height at the time of Raiders: Nadoolman shows a drawing from this costume exhibit in which she labels Ford as 6' 1-1/2" tall. Since she needed to know his height accurately in order to design and create the wardrobe, that would seem to be pretty definitive, no?
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Last Crusade hat from Smithsonian as well, if I'm not mistaken. The hat and the jacket were taken out of view when the National Museum of American History did their big renovation. Been in storage or on loan since.
The hat, jacket and bullwhip is in storage in the museum. Not on loan. They will part of a display called America's Story which the Smithsonian has been working on for the last couple of years. There is a lot of great pieces from American pop culture which will be featured too.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Howard Weinstein wrote:
IJJTM wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs Isn’t this the Raiders Jacket around the 15 minute mark?
That's a GREAT video (which I'd not seen before) with Adam Savage and Deborah Nadoolman talking about the Indy costume!

Which also appears to answer the question (from another COW thread) about Harrison Ford's height at the time of Raiders: Nadoolman shows a drawing from this costume exhibit in which she labels Ford as 6' 1-1/2" tall. Since she needed to know his height accurately in order to design and create the wardrobe, that would seem to be pretty definitive, no?
Ford currently stands close to 6ft.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah 5'11" now that he's close to 80. Just a hair over 6'ft in Raiders. In boot height would make him about 6'1"
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Indiego Jones wrote:
CM wrote:
What is your source that the hero jacket is lost?
We have contact with people at archives and private collectors.
(our research of the last year. here is the story: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Perhaps I express myself wrongly.
What I meant to say is, it's lost for us (fans).

Not in the archives, and not on any known private collector.

If still exists, it's in possession of someone who has keep it for himself all this time.-

That's great I look forward to hearing the argument and learning about your sources.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Howard Weinstein wrote:

No. Not definitive. She would need to know his specific measurements. That doesn't mean she had his actual height on file. I have a friend who is shorter than me but wears longer, broader shirts. Height won't have bearing on getting clothes to fit. Nadoodlman in that same video gets the jacket details totally wrong - that Last Crusade jacket It is not the one she remembers so clearly from Raiders. :shock: Her accounts are always subject to further questioning.

But I am willing to accept that Harrison was close to six one when younger.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Stefan Hills wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:
The hat, jacket and bullwhip is in storage in the museum. Not on loan. They will part of a display called America's Story which the Smithsonian has been working on for the last couple of years. There is a lot of great pieces from American pop culture which will be featured too.
That's great to hear. I visit DC every few years, and I've been bummed all this time that the those pieces have not been on display. Saw them once way before the renovation.