Fountain pen recommendations?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Fountain pen recommendations?

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Hey gang,

Any recommendations on getting the best Fountain pen? I know some of you on here have experience using them! Should I go vintage, or is there a current merchant that’s recommended?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :whip:

Thank you kindly!

-Chuck
Attachments
0C1CB6FA-7F45-4EE2-9129-B7F03BAE595E.jpeg
0C1CB6FA-7F45-4EE2-9129-B7F03BAE595E.jpeg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Last edited by IndyFanChuck on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fountain pen recommendations?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This is a good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50033&hilit=fountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Excellent read, thank you Jeff. That was perfect. My father may have a few vintage fountain pens so he’s going to check around for me. If he has them I’ll post photos up here. What I’m thinking about purchasing now is a Fountain Pen-esque item I stumbled across online that uses India Ink. I found it here:

https://indigraph.myshopify.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought I might give it a try for another Indy project I’ve wanted to do since I first joined.

-Chuck
Indiana Jeff wrote:This is a good place to start.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50033&hilit=fountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

That 2011 tutorial was a fascinating read! Thanks for the link back in time!

Are there any "close enough" modern fountain pens that convey the Indy film look? Ideally for less than several hundred dollars? Personally, being a classless low-brow with a tendency to break or lose things like pens, I enjoy writing with the inexpensive "disposable" Pilot Varsity fountain pen. It might be fun to own a "better" pen with vintage styling but not a "collectible" or "status symbol" price.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

This thread inspired me to dig out my 1987 Waterman Laureat. A present from Missus Nosirrah on getting my MA in History. \:D/
I had forgotten how smoothly it writes. The look is not exactly '30s vintage, but it's still a classic:
Got to find excuses to write more important stuff. Maybe start a diary? Yeah, that's the ticket... ;)
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

davidd wrote: Are there any "close enough" modern fountain pens that convey the Indy film look? Ideally for less than several hundred dollars?
One of my daily drivers is the Wing Sung 601. It's a modern clone of the Parker 51 vacumatic, a pen made from 1941 to 1947. And I have to say, replacing the diaphragm with a short piston was a stroke of genius. From a mechanical point of view, it's superior. Being a $14 pen there is always the chance of getting a dud, but hey it's $14. And it's completely disassembleable for cleaning, another advantage over the original.

If you want to go really vintage there is the Wing Sung 626 which is a copy of the Sheaffer Balance, specifically the clip style from the mid 1930s. Not Quite as user friendly, it doesn't post well, and he nib is a bit soft. The 626 is $30.

Here's a picture of the pens with their vintage counterparts.
IMG_20200104_215409_resize_30.jpg
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Lightning wrote: One of my daily drivers is the Wing Sung 601. ... Being a $14 pen there is always the chance of getting a dud, but hey it's $14.
Thank you! Excellent information!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

To add, I did a quick and dirty search online and found a variety of modern fountain pens for between $15-30 in a variety of materials and looks. Certainly good options for anyone wanting to dip their nibs into the fountain pen world without spending the money on a vintage option.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

$30 dollars has a nice ring to it! :lol: I may have to give that one a shot. Thank you!

-Chuck

Lightning wrote:
davidd wrote: Are there any "close enough" modern fountain pens that convey the Indy film look? Ideally for less than several hundred dollars?
One of my daily drivers is the Wing Sung 601. It's a modern clone of the Parker 51 vacumatic, a pen made from 1941 to 1947. And I have to say, replacing the diaphragm with a short piston was a stroke of genius. From a mechanical point of view, it's superior. Being a $14 pen there is always the chance of getting a dud, but hey it's $14. And it's completely disassembleable for cleaning, another advantage over the original.

If you want to go really vintage there is the Wing Sung 626 which is a copy of the Sheaffer Balance, specifically the clip style from the mid 1930s. Not Quite as user friendly, it doesn't post well, and he nib is a bit soft. The 626 is $30.

Here's a picture of the pens with their vintage counterparts.
IMG_20200104_215409_resize_30.jpg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Nosirrah wrote:This thread inspired me to dig out my 1987 Waterman Laureat. A present from Missus Nosirrah on getting my MA in History. \:D/
I had forgotten how smoothly it writes. The look is not exactly '30s vintage, but it's still a classic:
You inspired me get MY Waterman out as well, and I had also forgotten how nicely it writes.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

You gotta show us yours, now! Come on! :lol:

Michaelson wrote:
You inspired me get MY Waterman out as well, and I had also forgotten how nicely it writes.

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Looks like his, just green. [-( ;)

Regards ! M
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Okay M, I’ll just use my imagination! I’m Irish, so Green is easy.... :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:

Green marbling, actually..... :-k
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Well you inspired me. I ordered this one, and yes I know it’s a cheap-oh! But, it was on sale!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0793PRT ... prod_image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, if you guys can recommend a moderately priced vintage pen, I’ll order one. You’ll have to suggest an online vendor, please. :TOH:
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Perhaps try this one: https://www.peytonstreetpens.com

They have good feedback on the fountain pen network: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Also very tempted to get a pre-war fountain pen.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

Weight is a consideration if you're going to really carry. I've carried the same tortoise shell resin Pelikan Souveran every work day for 30 years because it's light. I've had other pens, but they were all too heavy for a shirt pocket. Looks sloppy to have your pocket hanging out in support of a heavy metal pen.

She's on her third cap (don't know why I wear them out) and I just found her back-up at a decent price, but I'll keep carrying the old girl until she ruins a shirt (knock wood).

The secret to not loosing an expensive fountain pen is never put the cap on the pen during use or loan. Always keep the cap in your weak hand, that way the user is sure to return it (they won't keep an open fountain pen) or your you're sure to retrieve it.

Enjoy the romance!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

My problem hasn't been weight, but length.

Some of my good fountain pens, including my Waterman and 1930 Parker Duofold, are REALLY long, and if your shirt pocket isn't deep enough, the pen sits sideways in your pocket.

Not a problem when wearing a vest, but it can cause the pen to fall out easier when leaning over. :shock:

That's one, if not the ONLY, reason my pens get occasional carry.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Amazon shipped my Fountain Pen and sent me that “Your package will arrive today!” email. Then moments ago Amazon sent me their infamous “Just kidding, it’ll be another day!” email.

The wait struggle is real.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

She's petite too, just 4 7/8". Works in dress shirts when I go to court and Hilo Hattie aloha shirts the rest of the time.

Here she is with whatever I had in the drawer; a sterling Waterman and a resin Levenger.
Michaelson wrote:My problem hasn't been weight, but length.

Some of my good fountain pens, including my Waterman and 1930 Parker Duofold, are REALLY long, and if your shirt pocket isn't deep enough, the pen sits sideways in your pocket.

Not a problem when wearing a vest, but it can cause the pen to fall out easier when leaning over. :shock:

That's one, if not the ONLY, reason my pens get occasional carry.

Regards! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I’ve been using fountain pens on a pretty much daily basis since 1970. I used to have a couple of Parker pens that were castoffs from relatives, and over the years I’ve acquired a few Watermans, a couple of Pelikans, a Porsche Design pen that looks like a braided steel brake line, a Montegrappa and others.

Since about 1980 I’ve carried at least one of two Mont Blanc 149s, and sometimes I carry a Mont Blanc Hemingway that’s unfortunately so valuable now it pretty much stays at home.

My solution to the shirt pocket issue, other than using an inside jacket pocket (some of my jackets have specific pen pockets) is to use my leather reading glasses case as a pen case. It comfortably carries both glasses and pen securely and I can put it in a pants pocket if I have to.

As far as inexpensive vintage pens go, there’s a lot available , but more important, a lot of resources to refurbish our repair them. Anyone getting into using one on a daily basis should probably stick with one of the major brands of the day, find a model they like at a price they like and jump in. My only suggestions are stick with a fine or medium nib and try to get a pen with a gold rather than steel nib, since the latter trend to be scratchy.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

;)

My Dryden Designs Fountain Pen came in today. (Thanks Amazon!) This purchase is my first Fountain Pen so I’m excited to see how it will write. It has a nice weight to it. Here are a few photos:

:H:
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

And a couple more:

Now it’s time to test out her script!

-Chuck
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

:x

Annnnnnnnnd the pen absolutely wont write. I have followed the directions on the cartridge. I tried six different cartridges. I shook the pen. I prayed. I sang it a song. It won’t write.

SADFACE
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

get yourself an rubber ear bulb syringe, cut the end back to it seats snugly into the section (where you would stick the cartridge). **** and expel water through the nib, you can add a touch of ammonia if you like. Don't shake out the nib, put in a cartridge and stick the nib in a paper towel and let capillary action pull the water out, hopefully with ink to follow.
edit:
having a laugh at the auto censor, fine, "draw and expel water".
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

By the way I just spotted this on the Crystal Skull desk they set up at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences 2008 Summer Exhibition Grand Opening Reception.
IndyPen.jpg
IndyPen.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
My first thought was Sheaffer but haven't found a perfect match yet.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Well. Sadly I’ve had my new Fountain Pen for several days and been unable to get the ink to move. It won’t write.

The manufacturer has yet to reply to my emails, but I assume they are busy. We’ll see.

What pen should I try now? Suggestions?
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

GREAT NEWS! The ink is flowing! It was suggested I prime the nib by squeezing the ink cartridge over the sink and it worked!

I’m crazy excited!