Last Crusade Jacket at Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Last Crusade Jacket at Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Hey, all. Not sure if this one has been shared here, but a search didn't turn anything up. Just got back from the Museum of Pop in Seattle Center and stumbled onto this jacket. Label said it was from Paul Allen's collection and was a screen-used jacket from Last Crusade. I don't recognize it at all. It has a collar stand with cloth backing and a hidden press stud, bottom hem stitch, x-box strap stitching, and a narrow yoke one inch above sleeve seam. What gives? Looks like an early Wested from the 90s to me. Photos:

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Last Crusade Jacket at Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle

Post by xmasters »

Yeah that's not a movie used jacket. Probably somebody's custom Wested that has been mis-sold as a movie used jacket.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Ouch. Looks like it was distressed by somebody with OCD and a Dremel tool. :shock:
Somewhere in Seattle there's a museum curator who needs a refresher on checking provenance. :-k
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Well, the extreme distressing actually seems consistent with the Last Crusade jackets. The color of the leather is spot on as well. But the construction of the jacket doesn't match any of the hero jackets at all. Perhaps it was a stunt jacket? I don't know. It just has such an odd combination of features.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

That’s a promotional jacket created by Wested and supplied to Berman’s which then found it’s way to Gary Kurtz. The museum of pop culture in Seattle, displays it as a screen used Indiana Jones jacket from Kurtz collection which did include a collection of Star Wars props since Kurtz was a producer on Empire Strikes back. I believe it was distressed in house at Berman’s.

The jacket was auctioned for a little less than a $100,00 and it was claimed to have been screen used in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. However, the labels did not match with jackets from both Lucas archives and the jacket in the collection of the Smithsonian.

Jackets from Last Crusade have the same inventory number and follow the same format of text. The Museum of Pop Culture’s jacket bares a completely different number and is hand written.
ImageImageImage

Clearly, something shady occurred here where the jacket was passed off as being a screen used Indiana Jones jacket that resulted in the bidder Paul Allen paying so much for a non screen used jacket. I guess since the jacket came from the collection of a producer it’s authenticity was never questioned.
Last edited by Stefan Hills on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hi, Stefan. Thanks for the info! I don't doubt it. Do you think this jacket was produced after Last Crusade, or during production?
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Wasn't this discussed here?
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Cowboy wrote:Wasn't this discussed here?
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Different jacket. The one in the Smithsonian is legit. In that thread, it sounds like someone referenced the jacket in Seattle, or one like it, but most of that thread pertains to the Smithsonian jacket.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:
Cowboy wrote:Wasn't this discussed here?
Different jacket. The one in the Smithsonian is legit. In that thread, it sounds like someone referenced the jacket in Seattle, or one like it, but most of that thread pertains to the Smithsonian jacket.
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Thought I'd add a small bump... looks like they swapped out the jacket for the hat.
Not really sure this is actually "Screen used" but who knows... I'm sure Paul Allen paid a pretty penny for the stuff

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Yikes, that looks terrible. That just looks like a regular run of the mill brown Stetson with an incorrect colored ribbon. If that's the screen worn hat, then it's been mangled and changed beyond anything that was worn on screen.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

This is a bit sad... Someone paid a fortune to have these in their collection... :x
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

A fool and his money...
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

wow,is it really that hard to look at some photos and compare? reminds me of a documentary i watched on youtube about the comedian frank skinner who purchased what he thought was elvis's black velvet shirt that he wore in 1956,he bought it from one of elvis' bodyguards and he paid thousands for it,but it turned out not to be authentic-it looked NOTHING like the actual shirt,it was obvious!(the original was handmade by elvis' mother and looked like it)i try to be sympathetic but all he had to do was look at a photo of the actual shirt before spending that much money! :shock:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Maybe it's a ToD fedora... :Plymouth:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Oof. That hat looks worse than the jacket. It is hard to believe that a museum dedicated to displaying authentic screen-used props got this so wrong.