The Jim Steranko Indy look?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: The Jim Steranko Indy look?

Post by captblitzdawg »

Steranko is a first-class guy! I've met him a couple times at HeroesCon in Charlotte, and had him sign a blank journal. He loved talking about Indy, Nick Fury and being a magician. Quite a guy!
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Since we are on the topic of Jim Steranko, is there a site or somewhere prints can be purchased of all 4 concept art paintings?
I have seen the popular one with Indy in the desert but the background color is wrong and the hat is always cut off. Any suggestions would be greatly appropriated.
Best wishes,
Stefan
Barry the Bounty Hunter
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Barry the Bounty Hunter »

So I know this is an older post, but I wanted to chime in, anyway. The aspect of Steranko's concept that most appeals to me is the choice of pistol. Doctor Jones has a bit of duality to his nature when it comes to weapon choices in the movies. On the one hand, he maintains an air of traditionalism with his Smith & Wesson and Webley revolvers, which would have been dated tech even in the mid-to-late 30"s. But at the same time, he reveals a hint of what we would refer to as "tech-nerdism," with the Browning Hi Power, which at that time would have been the bleeding edge of sidearm technology.

Enter: Steranko. In at least one of the Steranko concepts, Indy carries a Colt 1911. This weapon appeals to this duality. On the traditional side of things, the M1911 was a 20 year old design, and had been used with much success in World War I, which Indy was heavily involved in as a young man. On the tech-nerd side of things, the weapon was a semi-automatic, and had been modified with shooting ergonomics in mind with the 1924 introduction of the M1911A1, which shortened the trigger, lengthened the beavertail, and added an arched mainspring housing. The weapon would also have sported faster reloads (which we can safely assume was important to Indy, especially in the context of his switching to the top-break, auto-ejecting Webley), comparative ease of concealment and/or carry compared to a revolver, and was highly customizable. In fact, it is still popular in the gun world today, though it appeals more to the traditionalists now. With all this in mind, I believe it would have been the right choice for Indy. Chances are that a 1911A1 may have been issued to him during his OSS days. So it was only natural that this was the weapon that he was drawn with, and I believe it would be a great addition to an Indy costume. It just fits him.

Now that I've made this case, I'll probably be adjusting my own gear to accommodate this aspect of the Steranko Indy. I would love to hear any thoughts regarding that idea. Sorry for the long reply.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Support the M1911A1 addition though you will need the right furniture...

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

distantpeople wrote:Support the M1911A1 addition though you will need the right furniture...
Please...share where you found your furniture! :)
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Cajunkraut wrote:
distantpeople wrote:Support the M1911A1 addition though you will need the right furniture...
Please...share where you found your furniture! :)
Well the holster is a plain old WPG M1916 reproduction http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/646 ... ter/?bc=no that David of MakeItJones http://www.makeitjones.co.uk kindly dyed, aged and weathered. His work is consistently tip top.

The M1936 belt, M1923 ammo pouch and M1942 first aid pouch are original war time issue found cheaply but after a long search on the bay. If you are in a hurry, a passable reproduction is available here: https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/colt-45-web-set.html

The M1911 belt comes from El Paso... eventually... after a long but worthwhile wait: https://epsaddlery.com/product/1911-military-belt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

distantpeople wrote:Well the holster is a plain old WPG M1916 reproduction http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/646 ... ter/?bc=no that David of MakeItJones http://www.makeitjones.co.uk kindly dyed, aged and weathered. His work is consistently tip top.

The M1936 belt, M1923 ammo pouch and M1942 first aid pouch are original war time issue found cheaply but after a long search on the bay. If you are in a hurry, a passable reproduction is available here: https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/colt-45-web-set.html

The M1911 belt comes from El Paso... eventually... after a long but worthwhile wait: https://epsaddlery.com/product/1911-military-belt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! :TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Just wanted to show my "Steranko"" gear. Just got the two belts yesterday. Ordered them in the EU from Quartermaster. They are only replicas, but they work fine for cosplay and collecting purposes:

The holster I made myself a while ago, as the 1911 is one of my favourite handguns. The 1911 itself is an airsoft Cybergun, with parkerized finish and full markings.

I used to have a whip inspired by the Steranko art, but I sold it a while ago. My whip rack was getting a bit too full and this one was paracord, so I let it go. :rolling:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

bearbeast wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:58 am Just wanted to show my "Steranko"" gear. Just got the two belts yesterday. Ordered them in the EU from Quartermaster. They are only replicas, but they work fine for cosplay and collecting purposes:

The holster I made myself a while ago, as the 1911 is one of my favourite handguns. The 1911 itself is an airsoft Cybergun, with parkerized finish and full markings.

I used to have a whip inspired by the Steranko art, but I sold it a while ago. My whip rack was getting a bit too full and this one was paracord, so I let it go. :rolling:

COOL Gear, bearbeast - and matches very nicely with the original paintings!

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thank you, Mitch! :TOH: I was really surprised at how accurate the web belt is especially. I think Steranko really paid attention to these details when working on the concept art, to base the gear on real stuff.

Cheers,
Bear
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hey Mitch! Long time, no see. :TOH:

I was wondering if you'd be able to repost your Steranko pictures, as the original pics are no longer showing up. [-o<
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I remember that in years gone by, we needed to have links to our photos (that were uploaded to an Image Hosting site) ...is that still the way it's done?
I ask because I used to have a membership with one of those... but no longer

I'd be happy to upload directly from my own PC ... but I'm guessing that won't work?

Apologies for having to ask; I'm very "not caught up" on all of this lol
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hi Mitch. Yes, you have to use a hosting site. I would definitely suggest this one.

https://23hq.com/

:mrgreen:
rangertexan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rangertexan »

indyclone wrote:here you go , this is the article from the media scene magazine with popeye on the cover .discussing the art of raiders ....
Pity Charleston Heston has been forgotten in the article as the original model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk