Breaking in a USGI Holster

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Breaking in a USGI Holster

Post by ChrisMD »

Hey Everyone!

I know I'm a ghost lately, but I wanted to share this with you in case any of you run into a similar issue. I HEAVILY collect military surplus items, in addition to Indygear. The 1911 holsters used in Vietnam are basically the same as in WW2 (as seen in Cystal Skull opening) except they are black leather instead of brown. I ended up getting a GREAT deal on a 1963 dated USGI holster. When it arrived I could tell it was barely used but must have sat under quite a bit of weight for many years in storage. I couldn't get the pistol in without forcing it so hard the slide would retract. So instead of my old ways of breaking it in I tried this:

1. LIBERAL coating of Pecards on inside and outside. It looked like overkill honestly.
2. Pistol in plastic bag (nothing new here)
3. Insert pistol, close holster, and wrap in another plastic bag
4. I then squeezed any air out and wrapped it up tightly in a heating pad with a rubber band around. (make sure your heating pad has an auto-off feature in case of overheating if you leave it unattended)
5. I let it "cook" for several hours

When I unwrapped it, what I had was a very supple holster, yet it retained the rigidness where required. I assume it soaked up all the Pecard's as there was almost zero residue on the bag or anywhere else. The pistol slides in with ease, as if the holster was very well used and broken in. This might become my new method, as I am VERY satisfied with the results. Sorry I completely spaced and forgot to do before and after pictures.

I know, not an Indy holster directly, but this will no doubt translate to general leather break-in. I am willing to bet I am not the first to try this, but I was so happy with the results I wanted to share. If you look at some of the Jim Steranko art, you can just make out the brown flap holster on his side. This is basically that but black instead of brown.

I hope everyone has a great Monday, and rest of the week!

Respectfully,

Chris
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Breaking in a USGI Holster

Post by cm289 »

Welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Thanks for the tip on the really tight ones.

I collect a lot of military surplus rifles and pistols. I have been lucky so far that the holsters just needed some good leather conditioner to restore or if unused to soften up to allow the firearm to fit. May not be correct but every time I handle them after that, I wipe off the outside with whatever I am lubricating the gun with.....
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Glenville86 wrote:Thanks for the tip on the really tight ones.

I collect a lot of military surplus rifles and pistols. I have been lucky so far that the holsters just needed some good leather conditioner to restore or if unused to soften up to allow the firearm to fit. May not be correct but every time I handle them after that, I wipe off the outside with whatever I am lubricating the gun with.....
I wipe them as well with some oil or the like. Those WW2 1911 holsters started out a raw light color. They darkened with sun, gun oil, grime, etc during heavy use. I think some dirty gun oil adds that nice touch of authenticity sometimes.

..and thanks cm289!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Hey, Chris! Great advice.

Your post reminds me that I wish there were more Steranko gear examples, as I feel that look captures a version of Indy that would've been fun to explore on screen.