Sutro Ellington Cognac boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Sutro Ellington Cognac boots

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

As anyone here seen these or own a pair? I like that they don't have the raised moc toe stitching like wolverines or red wings. I also like that they don't have that funky shape like Thursday boots. Plus they have some tread on them. From my research I found that they're San Francisco designed, but made in Mexico. And at less than half the price of Alden's they seem like a steal. I'm thinking of getting myself a pair but wanted to consult the COW gods first. What do you think fellas?
https://www.sutrofootwear.com/products/ ... gIK1vD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Sutro Ellington Cognac boots

Post by Wotalark »

Never heard of them or seen a pair ( though I am a long way away).

But they've got the look all right, give them a go and report back!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Look the part very well. Next to nothing online in terms of reviews. For the price I would expect/hope they would hold up for many years.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'm quite impressed with what I see and read here.

These look like a nice pair of boots! The only real way to find out is to put a pair on your feet and walk in them for a while. THEN you'll know if they're a good boot or not (yeah, like 'DUH!' :roll: :lol: )

What I also find interesting is they have speed lacing up to the top, then a standard grommet to close the lacing! Interesting design!

Yep, if you order a pair, PLEASE give a full report, as these look very VERY promising!

They also come with Vibram soles and Goodyear welted for future repair.

GREAT discovery! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I took the plunge! They will be arriving tomorrow. I'll give a full report once I get them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

So they came in, and I've been wearing them for a week. Here is my review. First off, I was amazed at how light they are. I mean super lightweight. Like a pair of sneakers. They are also very comfortable. The leather is very soft and flexible. The thickness is on par with Alden's and Wolverine 1000 mile boots, but is not as stiff or tough feeling as Alden's or Wolverines. It's a very nice soft leather. The color is that perfect saddle tan you want in an Indy boot. It's not all pumpkin like the picture on the website, and not too purple like the Thursdays. The insole is actually an insert which was an interesting choice. This might be a turnoff for some, but I assume this was one of the ways they were able keep the cost down. I actually like the insert as I can most likely just get a new pair of inserts later down the rode versus a costly trip to the cobbler later when they wear out. The good year welt feels very solid. The outsoles are put on extremely well. And the Vibram soles are very nice. Not too bulky, but with some nice tread on them. The grommets and speed laces are small and close together like Alden's, and they have the same amount as Alden's. There is a standard grommet at the top instead of a final speed lace which is no problem for me because I don't lace my boots all the way to the top anyways. Another interesting design choice is there is a slit in the tongue for threading your laces through. I didn't thread my laces through them. I saw no point in it. And they came with some nice waxy laces like Wolverines do. Final diagnosis:perfect for casual and costume wear but I don't think I'd use them for any heavy adventuring. Great price at just over $200. Total Indy look, a nearly identical clone to an Alden.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Here are some pics. A comparison shot between the Sutros and my 15 year old Alden's that have been put through the ringer and resoled. A shot of the insert, the soles, and the slit in the tongue.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/ ... j0ibiv.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/ ... gxkbq2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/ ... kzkwdo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/ ... b2wfnx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The 'plus' to inserts is that you can change them out if/when those wear out. They sell all sorts of replacements at stores like Walmart, etc. You can also sometimes wash inserts, so they're head and shoulders above shoes that do NOT have them in that regard.

Fine looking boots, my friend!

Regard! Michaelson
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

They look like a great pair of boots. And I think your 15 year old boots are in better shape than my 10 yr old Aldens
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Indiana Cromeens- if you don't mind me asking, what are the width like? I reached out to Sutro to see if they had any wide widths. Their reply was that they only sell in standard width. I'm an 11ee, so I'd be curious to know how roomy they are.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I'm a D and I find the fit perfect. Maybe try an 11 1/2 or a twelve? What size do you wear when you can't find Orthopedic sizes?
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Short answer, I don't.

Long answer, I've got Four pair of shoes/boots. Jungle boots for work in 11XW, chuck Taylor's in 11(canvas stretches), a nice pair of handmade dress shoes I picked up in Guatemala( made for me) and a pair of "Mickey" boots 11w for winter. As I wear them out I just replace them.

Now, to get back on topic, I guess the only way to find out is to buy a pair and see. Cause,dang If they're not nice looking boots.
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

I had in mind to upgrade my personal style a bit, and stumbled on this site while doing research on boots. I've worn a fedora as a bad weather hat since the 1980's, killing two, and currently on my third. Since I've always liked the look, I decided to go with some authentic looking Indy boots. I first thought to go with Aldens, but I find the $550+ pricetag on a pair of workboots to be, shall we say, a bit excessive. I scoured the internet for alternatives, including ones listed here. It's kind of amazing how many reasonably priced "close enough" boots have been produced and then discontinued. I finally found, and purchased a pair of Sutro Ellington boots in Honey from Huckberry on sale for $196. I received them on Saturday and have put a few miles on them, breaking them in. The leather is starting to take on a wrinkled worn look, which I quite like. After a few more days, I'll hit them with some Leather Honey conditioner and see if I can't darken them up a little. You can see how they looked after a couple of days of wear in this album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/72SC33zCSk4hXTHq8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there is interest, I'll add more pics as they age. I'm planning to wear them on a regular basis as long as the weather is cold. Coastal Virginia summers are hot and humid, and I'd rather wear lighter footwear once it warms up in the spring.

I should mention that these shipped with flat, waxed laces. I found these to be way long, and also didn't stay tied very well. I replaced the laces with some modern, round, 48" long boot laces and these are a bit more functional.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

welcome.

With Aldens you get what you pay for. I have two pair and have worn them hard for the past 3 years. they have eliminated my back issues I had previously. I love them and they have more than paid for themselves. excessive? might be at first but they can be rebuilt so long as you care for the uppers.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Jeremiah wrote:welcome.

With Aldens you get what you pay for. I have two pair and have worn them hard for the past 3 years. they have eliminated my back issues I had previously. I love them and they have more than paid for themselves. excessive? might be at first but they can be rebuilt so long as you care for the uppers.
Fully agree with Jeremiah. I have a couple of pairs of Alden's which are fabulous , really comfortable and will last for years. I also have a couple of pairs of Chippewa 1901s which are a good "could have been".

I bought a pair of Sutro's and need to sound a word of warning. Leather is beautiful and ages really nicely BUT maybe I got a rogue pair, the quality has been terrible. The bit with the lace holes came away from the lower section, then eyelets started coming out. In both cases I had to pay a local cobbler to mend them. After the first issue I raised the issue to Sutro but no reply.

My cobbler thought the quality was rubbish.

If I'd been in the US I'd have returned them for sure, but I'm 6000 miles from San Fransisco and when they didn't reply I just wrote them off as a bad lot. I wasn't going to get into incurring shipping to a vendor who didn't even reply.

I also find the heels really uncomfortable, though that might just be my tendonitis. Never had the same issue with the Alden;s though.

So, I think, caveat emptor. I hope I just got a rogue pair. I'm sticking with my Alden's and Chippewas from now on.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I take it these are the same ones?

https://www.sutrofootwear.com/collectio ... n-mahogany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

Canyon wrote:I take it these are the same ones?

https://www.sutrofootwear.com/collectio ... n-mahogany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Same model I got, in a different color. Leather Honey darkened them up a bit.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Canyon wrote:I take it these are the same ones?

Yes - in a new colour. Mine were a tan but they have also done a darker, more oxblood shade. Nice colour . As I said the leather was great but I got a pair that fell apart with light use.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I'm tempted to pick up a pair of these in honey instead of the mahogany:

Has anyone seen this color in person?
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

Indy Magnoli wrote:I'm tempted to pick up a pair of these in honey instead of the mahogany:

Has anyone seen this color in person?
Yes. The pair I bought was the honey color. Here is what they looked like when new.
https://photos.google.com/u/2/share/AF1 ... NXZmV4TkxR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About a week after I got them, I treated them with Leather Honey, and they darkened a bit. I wore them all winter and they broke in nicely and are super comfortable. A few weeks ago I did a wipedown and a second conditioning treatment, and they darkened another shade. When I did this second treatment, I noticed that a few stitches had come loose on one of the boots. I contacted Sutro and they confirmed that they should last years, not months. They stood by the product by sending me a replacement pair, while letting me keep the original boots and recommending that I have them re-stitched at a cobbler. I work with leather myself, so I'll put back in the loose stitches by hand. For the replacement boots, I requested the mahogany color. These just arrived late last week, and I haven't had a chance to wear them yet (the weather here is hot now). But, the 2x treated honey colored boots are now very similar in color to the untreated mahogany boots.

To make things even more interesting, in the months between when I bought the original pair in November and now, I've been monitoring Aldens on ebay. The right deal finally came along and I pulled the plug on a pair of used 405 Indy Boots. These are due to be delivered today. If I'm lucky, they'll be waiting for me when I get home from work. So, I'll have THREE pairs of suitable Indy boots to choose from. I plan to make a video comparing these. I'm what some might call 'frugal'. I'm always interested in exploring the lower cost, but decent quality, alternatives to the higher priced vendor produced gear. I completely understand why labor costs of custom made or small production lot items mean that the costs need to be high. But, as a handy guy, I enjoy putting in a little extra labor to adapt lower priced gear to fit the task. I'll probably do at least a couple videos showing how the less well heeled Indy enthusiast can make do with less expensive gear.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Thanks for that! Looks like Honey will be on my shopping list.
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

The Aldens arrived today, so I shot come comparison photos. I was a bit perturbed that the Aldens have such a red color cast. The Aldens are also heavier, presumably because of the steel shank. I still haven't put them on my feet yet. Might wear them to work tomorrow.

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Te46YoxUQBpf7jsQ9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Ellington Honey have the obvious wear. The Ellington Mahogany are in new condition. The Aldens have finer stitching and are redder in color.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I didn't notice the heel stitching on the Sutros. I like it.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Quick question: how is the sizing compared to the Aldens? Would I order the same size as I wear in the 405s?
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

Indy Magnoli wrote:how is the sizing compared to the Aldens? Would I order the same size as I wear in the 405s?
I normally wear a US size 9 shoe, and that is what I wear for the Sutro boots. I just tried on the Aldens and confirmed that they run large (as I had heard). So, my normally size 9 feet fit into Alden TruBalance last size 8.5 nicely.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Thanks!
InexorableTash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by InexorableTash »

I picked up the Sutro Ellingtons in Mahogany. Not disappointed.

Per the store ("Welcome Stranger") and my wife feet, they run narrow/long.

I'll probably get one of the lighter colors as well.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I just received the honey ones and love the color. I'm curious to see how the leather will age over time. I'm afraid there will be some lateral cracking around the toe area as there is some kind of interior toe cap that creates a strange crease on the sides. Hoping that Pecards will keep the leather healthy.

There was a $25 off gift card included with by boots. If anyone wants to use it, the code is GIFT25 (seems like a generic code, so anyone should be able to use it). :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

like I said before, the leather looked like @#$% and now its questioned whether it will hold up with use of a conditioner. Good leather needs no conditioner for many years. Save your money and buy quality. By the time you spend low here and there for things that won't last, you could have saved and bought quality.

But yeah, you know all this I know.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Jeremiah wrote:like I said before, the leather looked like @#$% and now its questioned whether it will hold up with use of a conditioner. Good leather needs no conditioner for many years. Save your money and buy quality. By the time you spend low here and there for things that won't last, you could have saved and bought quality.

But yeah, you know all this I know.
Sadly on this occasion, I am with Jeremiah. I only had bad experiences with my Sutro boots, stitching fell apart, then one of the eyelets came out. Wouldn't go back. Buy once, buy well... I'm sticking to my Aldens and Chippewas.

I hope they have fixed the issues and you can give us a glowing report over time, Magnoli, but I am not hopeful. Pity as they look great but ...
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Well... in the least, I think these Sutro's have inspired me to look into doing a run of boots ourselves. 8)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Ah - a white label run?
toddf
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by toddf »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Well... in the least, I think these Sutro's have inspired me to look into doing a run of boots ourselves. 8)
That would be fantastic!

Features I look for in an Indy boot, roughly in order of importance:
- moc toe stitching. Light stitching on darker leather.
- leather (ish) sole. (Not white rubber or black rubber cleated pattern.)
- 3/4 goodyear welt
- straight ankle/heel stitching
- mixed round eyelets and hooks

Aldens are the only boots I've found on the market with all these features. Westeds lack the 3/4 welt and the ankle stitching. I personally am willing to compromise on the heel stitching, but the look of a 360 welt is way chunkier than a 3/4 welt, so the Westeds weren't close enough of a match to Indy boots for me, though they are a great price. Sutros check all the boxes except the ankle stitching, but are of questionable construction quality.

The trick will be making boots with all these features at a price lower than used Aldens. I personally bought my ebay Aldens for $275, delivered. If replica boots cost more than about $200 ish, it's not worth the cost savings over used Aldens. You're up against Red Wing Rangers, with a stellar reputation for quality, that go for $240 new from Amazon.
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Well... in the least, I think these Sutro's have inspired me to look into doing a run of boots ourselves. 8)
Now, that would be worth waiting for! An unexpected, and great result if it comes off Magnoli.

I'd trust your quality with my life :D

:TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just so this doesn't continue to veer into a different boot maker run, let's pull things back to the Sutro Ellington Cognac discussion. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Michaelson wrote:Just so this doesn't continue to veer into a different boot maker run, let's pull things back to the Sutro Ellington Cognac discussion. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
We stand corrected ! Thank you for the reminder Michaelson. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup: