Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Pris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Skyfall jacket leather opinions

Post by Pris »

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a custom Skyfall jacket. I currently own a custom Raiders in shrunken lambskin that I adore, but I've lost a bit of weight since ordering that one, so it's a bit big on me now and while it is nice and lightweight, and is great for spring/autumn wear, I think I'd like something heavier and thicker for the Skyfall jacket, something that will hold up well and would be good for winter.

I'm thinking the rosetta cowhide or horse hide would be good. Do you have any suggestions? I'm open to other leather types too, so long as they are heavier and thicker than shrunken lamb. Not goat as it takes too long to show any signs of wear.
I also love the dark brown colour of my lambskin so would like to stay near to that. Is the Rosetta hide very light in colour?

Next are the measurements. I have a 42 in my Raiders with gussets which is a bit too big on the chest. I'm thinking of going with a 40 for the Skyfall but I'm wondering if the sewn backpleat and lack of gussets will make a 42 fit me in the Skyfall?
Also, are the sleeves as wide on the Skyfall jacket as they are on the Raiders as I found the sleeves very wide on my Raiders jacket and had to have them narrowed.
I'd like the SKyfall jacket to be a much tighter fit than my Raiders.

Thanks for your help!

TL,DR: Buying a new jacket, want it heavier and thicker than my shrunken lambskin. Pros and cons of cowhide and horsehide?
Last edited by Pris on Fri May 24, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Skyfall jacket leather opinions

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I can’t offer any advice really as I haven’t had too many different types of leather... but I REALLY like the skyfall jacket and if I ever have the opportunity to do a custom jacket I’m thinking it’ll be the skyfall in horsehide.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Wested Skyfall jacket leather opinions

Post by Glenville86 »

I recently got a Wested Skyfall and just ordered the standard offering in shrunken lambskin with a XXL size. The jacket is a slimmer fit. I normally wear a 48 in the Indy jackets and sometimes a 50 if I want a loose fit. The tag on the Skyfall shows a 46 but the sleeves, back length are 27 inches. Chest seems slightly less than a Indy 48.

The jacket would look nice in a heavier leather. I am not a big fan of the Wested HH as it compares to other makers jackets I own in HH. That being said, the Wested HH is not as expensive.....
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

Wested prices are affordable ... Definitly yes ...
If you want a thicker thype of leather, look for Horse Hide or "the real thing" ... The Levi's Menlo Jacket they used for the movie ...
But the prices are ... High ! :cry:
Good luck and good choice
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The actual Menlo was ribby sheep leather... there we go again. I like the washed lamb for this.

On thing to think about this is a fitted at the waist jacket, It has none of the nice adjustable flap at the bottom of the jacket like the Indy Jacket does... so keep that in ind when ordering!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I have one in Rosetta hide - which is a heavy, thicker hide - probably around 2.5oz. The actual film jacket is a light lambskin.

The original is a 1930's style Levi's Menlo half-belt.

The Wested pattern seems a bit off - very wide shoulders and big in the chest - very short in front - just hits the belt - even in a size large. I am 6'2" and 185 pounds.

If I were to get one again I would get one in goat - light but tough.

Mind you, I would never get a jacket in lambskin of any kind - I find that hide too light and (from experience) it tears. Lambs feels like a light fabric. The Rosetta feels like a leather jacket.
Pris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Pris »

CM wrote:I have one in Rosetta hide - which is a heavy, thicker hide - probably around 2.5oz. The actual film jacket is a light lambskin.

The Wested pattern seems a bit off - very wide shoulders and big in the chest - very short in front - just hits the belt - even in a size large. I am 6'2" and 185 pounds.

Mind you, I would never get a jacket in lambskin of any kind - I find that hide too light and (from experience) it tears. Lambs feels like a light fabric. The Rosetta feels like a leather jacket.
Would you have any pictures of the Rosetta/how's the color on yours. Is it very light?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Wested cowhides are all pretty thick, too thick for a throw on casual piece like the menlo jacket. Gotta go with a lamb or goat for this one.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Pris wrote:
CM wrote:I have one in Rosetta hide - which is a heavy, thicker hide - probably around 2.5oz. The actual film jacket is a light lambskin.

Would you have any pictures of the Rosetta/how's the color on yours. Is it very light?
It's an even mid brown, close to an Indy - no photos, sorry. I don't know if they still provide this version.

The weight is fine for a half-belt but I prefer goatskin - it's my favourite hide. The Rosetta hide is about the same thickness and weight as Wested goat from 2002 (the year of my LC jacket, long sold). Some goatskins are lighter weight - may depend on the batch.

Much of the questions what is heavy and light is almost meaningless if all you have ever owned is a lamb Indy. To give you an idea - my horsehide half-belt from the 1930's weighs close to six pounds. A lamb Indy would weigh around two pounds. Period leather jackets were often heavy items. From what I have seen Wested don't really use any heavy hides (2.5oz max) but they are certainly heavier than lambskin.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I have two of the original Levi's Vintage Skyfall jackets. By far my favorite leather jacket.

Part of the reason the jacket looks as cool as it does is its light weight. It's almost like a leather windbreaker.

The original is made of fairly light weight and VERY grainy sheepskin. The bottom panels on each sleeve are slightly thicker and a little less grainy. It would probably translate well into goatskin if it were light enough.
Pris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Pris »

Glenville86 wrote:I recently got a Wested Skyfall and just ordered the standard offering in shrunken lambskin with a XXL size. The jacket is a slimmer fit. I normally wear a 48 in the Indy jackets and sometimes a 50 if I want a loose fit. The tag on the Skyfall shows a 46 but the sleeves, back length are 27 inches. Chest seems slightly less than a Indy 48.

The jacket would look nice in a heavier leather. I am not a big fan of the Wested HH as it compares to other makers jackets I own in HH. That being said, the Wested HH is not as expensive.....
So from your experience with the Skyfall jacket, I'm a 41 but Wested do 40 or 42. My Raiders is 42 and ever so slightly too big in the chest. It still looks fine, it's just not a tight fit. Do you think I should order a 42 in the Skyfall since they're a slimmer fit or should I risk a 40?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Pris wrote:
Glenville86 wrote:I recently got a Wested Skyfall and just ordered the standard offering in shrunken lambskin with a XXL size. The jacket is a slimmer fit. I normally wear a 48 in the Indy jackets and sometimes a 50 if I want a loose fit. The tag on the Skyfall shows a 46 but the sleeves, back length are 27 inches. Chest seems slightly less than a Indy 48.

So from your experience with the Skyfall jacket, I'm a 41 but Wested do 40 or 42. My Raiders is 42 and ever so slightly too big in the chest. It still looks fine, it's just not a tight fit. Do you think I should order a 42 in the Skyfall since they're a slimmer fit or should I risk a 40?
If it was me, I would get the 42. I would rather not risk getting a tight jacket.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Pris wrote:

They are a different cut entirely. The Levis copy is tighter. I got a 44 the 42 was way too tight and normally I wear a 42.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I've had two Wested Skyfalls ..

The first a thicker hide jacket ... almost russet that just never looked right as the hide was just too thick,... it needs to be a thinner hide. (i chose the hide as a custom so completely my fault)

The Second .. washed lamb .. perfect ... exactly the right skin for the purpose.

Both KT and i got SF's made and both had the rear pleats stitched down ... (his idea and i followed suit) it makes the jacket more streamlined and less prone to 'bagging out' ...

I'd also suggest going down one size as Wested's i think tend to come out larger ...
Pris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Pris »

Hey all,

Ended up going with goat. Just received the jacket yesterday. Pretty happy with it, definitely the best fit of my Wested's. Finally got my measurements down. It's a lot darker than I was expecting. I'd almost call that black instead of dark brown. I'm loving the goat skin, it's my first time trying it and the texture and weight is perfect. It's much heavier than lamb. I was quite surprised by that. Feels like it can take a beating too.

My only concern is that the action pleats puff out a fair bit when I move in certain ways. My Raiders jacket doesn't have this issue. Is this something that will be fixed once the jacket is broken in?

Links to my pictures:

https://ibb.co/V0yh71v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://ibb.co/XpT01kn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Just out of curiosity, since this is a Skyfall jacket, isn't this in the wrong forum? :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

We allow for some limited other jacket discussions from longtime vendors like Wested.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff