Pants for a tall guy

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Pants for a tall guy

Post by mdalbrit »

Thanks for adding me to the forum!

I'm looking for some Indy-style pants that have a longer inseam, the Wested pants are 34.5" inseam (not hemmed) and WPG has no information on the inseam. I am 6'6" and my inseam is 35" but I want to have the military style hem done on them and I am afraid that there won't be enough material left to hem them.

Anyone got any ideas (aside from making my own)?

-Albritton
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Pants for a tall guy

Post by Canyon »

Hi, firstly welcome to the forum. :TOH:

Have you tried Magnoli Clothiers?
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/advent ... -p-39.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have ordered from him before and his stuff is top notch. :mrgreen:
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Thanks, I will!
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

For the price, LL Beans dress chinos in dark khaki are not too bad. They have longer inseams if I remember correctly....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wish the LLB's chino's still had a watch pocket, though. I wore the heck out of those until they eliminated that pocket, as I wear pocket watches on a fairly regular basis. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Michaelson wrote:I wish the LLB's chino's still had a watch pocket, though. I wore the heck out of those until they eliminated that pocket, as I wear pocket watches on a fairly regular basis. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Interesting. They still offer the watch pocket on the plain front version, but not the pleated. Looks like it was a squeeze fitting it in between the pleats. I'm not a big fan of pleated fronts anyway- if I want to look 5 pounds heavier, I'll do it the old-fashioned way. ;)
So I may pull the trigger on a pair. Thanks JackShannon for the word on dark khaki- the online color rendering is a bit murky. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes they do, but they reduced the size of the pocket when you find them. I usually wear 18s pocket watches. You're lucky to get a 12s in those things now.

By the way, which plain front model are you referring to? I just looked at the photos of their current chino's, and don't see a watch pocket on any of them. :-k

Regards! M
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

They're listed as "Wrinkle-Free Dress Chinos, Classic Fit Plain Front:"
You may have missed the watch pocket because it's so tiny.
The back pockets look good, though:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ah yes, THAT pattern! Thanks! I've owned them before. :TOH:

Like I said, shallow watch pocket. Not sure why they even installed them as they don't serve any purpose what so ever, unless you want to carry about 75 cents in quarters. :x

Regards! M
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Back to the original topic, then.
An observation: on the current Bill Kelso jacket thread, distantpeople posted a wonderful photo showing A-2s. But I think the pants are even more interesting. If you're wondering what inseam length is "authentic," it's whatever the quartermaster handed you:
Five guys, all different height, same pants. THAT'S the military. You want 'em hemmed? Ask your mother. ;)
Another observation: maybe one reason why period bomber jackets don't always look right with jeans is the height of the waist. These flyboys were ridin' high.
And I don't see any pleats, thank you. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

LOL! Well, my 'watch pocket' observation is as much on topic in this thread as you bringing 'pleats' to the table, I guess. The original topic was finding a pair of trousers with a longer inseam. :-k ;)

Excellent observation on what was issued, and what we see 'on screen'. You got what you got in the military....but in Hollywood, you got 'what looked good' on the actor. :lol:

That said, in terms of gear, are we trying to replicate what was historically 'correct', or what is 'screen accurate'? I think we all know what the answer to that question is.....but if you CAN'T match the length, you have historical records to support your choice of shorter hems. :[

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Michaelson wrote:....but in Hollywood, you got 'what looked good' on the actor. :lol:

That said, in terms of gear, are we trying to replicate what was historically 'correct', or what is 'screen accurate'? I think we all know what the answer to that question is..... :[
... the middle path, in my case: what looks (and feels) good on yours truly. I know-- another heretic. :twisted:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hear hear, and AMEN, BROTHER!!!! \:D/ ;)

That's why I jokingly (but seriously) stated in a separate thread when accused of not 'wearing correct gear' that I ALWAYS wore 'Michaelson gear' all the time. Fits me just fine, thank you very much! [-( 8)

(and now I've REALLY drug this thread into the ditch.... #-o )

HIGH regard! M
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

mdalbrit wrote: I am 6'6" and my inseam is 35" but I want to have the military style hem done on them and I am afraid that there won't be enough material left to hem them.

-Albritton
You have not been forgotten, Albritton. The L L Bean chinos I described (pleats or plain) can be ordered unfinished, or with a max inseam of 35 3/4". The price is certainly right. :TOH: :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Another choice, though a bit pricier, are the original 'Bill's Khaki's'. I've owned a pair in the past, and they're extremely comfortable....and also come unhemmed.

https://www.billskhakis.com/mens-khakis/m1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Michaelson wrote:Hear hear, and AMEN, BROTHER!!!! \:D/ ;)

That's why I jokingly (but seriously) stated in a separate thread when accused of not 'wearing correct gear' that I ALWAYS wore 'Michaelson gear' all the time. Fits me just fine, thank you very much! [-( 8)

(and now I've REALLY drug this thread into the ditch.... #-o )

HIGH regard! M
This is a good point, wear the gear that suits you when it suits you!

-Albritton
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Nosirrah wrote:
mdalbrit wrote: I am 6'6" and my inseam is 35" but I want to have the military style hem done on them and I am afraid that there won't be enough material left to hem them.

-Albritton
You have not been forgotten, Albritton. The L L Bean chinos I described (pleats or plain) can be ordered unfinished, or with a max inseam of 35 3/4". The price is certainly right. :TOH: :tup:

Thanks for the tip! :whip:
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Michaelson wrote:Another choice, though a bit pricier, are the original 'Bill's Khaki's'. I've owned a pair in the past, and they're extremely comfortable....and also come unhemmed.

https://www.billskhakis.com/mens-khakis/m1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
They are good khakis for sure. I’ve got a pair that I ripped on the front though ](*,) so I’m after something more rugged for the price. My wife can never believe how hard I am on my clothes :[
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I finally wore out the seat. :[
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Nosirrah wrote:They're listed as "Wrinkle-Free Dress Chinos, Classic Fit Plain Front:"
You may have missed the watch pocket because it's so tiny.
The back pockets look good, though:

Just ordered a pair of these, I’ll keep y’all posted :-k

Best regards,
Albritton
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

mdalbrit wrote:Just ordered a pair of these, I’ll keep y’all posted :-k
Same here. Had to put my money where my mouth is, I guess... :roll:
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Nosirrah wrote:
mdalbrit wrote:Just ordered a pair of these, I’ll keep y’all posted :-k
Same here. Had to put my money where my mouth is, I guess... :roll:
This promo code works until March 10 and gives you 25% off — 92P 40D Y9K
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

You mean I only have to put 75% of my money where my mouth is? ](*,)
Just sent them a follow-up email with the promo code, and 5 minutes later I got a refund of $18.29. :clap:
Thanks to Albritton, and Amanda in L L Bean Customer Service! :notworthy:
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

Nosirrah wrote:You mean I only have to put 75% of my money where my mouth is? ](*,)
Just sent them a follow-up email with the promo code, and 5 minutes later I got a refund of $18.29. :clap:
Thanks to Albritton, and Amanda in L L Bean Customer Service! :notworthy:
Awesome! :clap:
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I like the quality of the LL Bean Dress Chinos quite a bit. The Dark Khaki color is not quite screen accurate, but for the price (especially if you find them on sale), it hard to go wrong. I own a few colors of the pant. The lighter khaki color is almost white. If you can find the older color of "driftwood" or "Taupe" on ebay, that color is close to SA.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

JackShannon wrote:I like the quality of the LL Bean Dress Chinos quite a bit. The Dark Khaki color is not quite screen accurate, but for the price (especially if you find them on sale), it hard to go wrong.
Agreed. I got the Dark Khaki, and I'm thinking that they might be closer to "Officer's Pinks" than Indy's. Anybody able to comment on that?
JackShannon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JackShannon »

I don't own a pair of officers pinks, but I would agree with that color assessment. The LL bean dark khaki does have a vintage pink hue to them in my opinion.
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

JackShannon wrote:I don't own a pair of officers pinks, but I would agree with that color assessment. The LL bean dark khaki does have a vintage pink hue to them in my opinion.
Agreed. I'm wearing mine now as I type this. Can't speak to any historical or screen accuracy, my eye's not that good. They do have a slight pink hue in certain light. Great pants, I love 'em.
mdalbrit
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by mdalbrit »

LL Bean has these with pleats and a comfort waist!

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/63019?pag ... atId=63019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;