Advice for the new guy please?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

whipwarrior

Re: Advice for the new guy please?

Post by whipwarrior »

Looks great! Perfect fit (jacket and sleeve length)! You need to crease the collar in half and roll it so the tips lay down properly, since brand new collars have a tendency to stick out until the leather is relaxed. Folding it helps the break-in process.

The Indy jacket really isn't meant to be worn with a longer untucked shirt, since it has that inevitable effect of making the jacket look shorter. It's an optical illusion, but not very flattering. Tuck in your shirt, wear a nice belt, and rock that Indy jacket!

Congratulations, and wear it in good health! :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Lunacyfringeam wrote:I ordered a 26.5 and it's pretty spot on when I checked the measurements
Yeah it looks fine from the back, the front looks a bit short but that seems to be the way with the last crusade jacket. Or at least, the way Wested seem to make it.

Are you over 6ft tall?
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Thanks whip!
And I'm 6' even. There is the slightest taper from back to front causing the difference, but as you said that seems to be the norm with the LC
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

My OTR Raiders in lambskin arrived yesterday! I think the fit is pretty good and I’m loving the lambskin ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Congrats! It looks like they got the fit just right. Wear it in good health.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Another perfect fit! The standard lamb looks very nice, and it's extremely comfortable. Once it's broken in, the jacket will really form itself around you like a glove. I sometimes wear mine at home when it's cold outside, just because I enjoy wearing it so much! :D
twistedotter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by twistedotter »

That's precisely the way I like mine to fit. I prefer mine to be just a smidge longer than normal. For whatever reason in just looks and feels right on my body. I sometimes wear a hoodie under it and longer just works better in that configuration. Great looking jacket and great fit. Congrats!
Last edited by twistedotter on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

Looks great Metallicuda! Fit looks awesome, and the lamb is beautiful.
whipwarrior wrote:I sometimes wear mine at home when it's cold outside, just because I enjoy wearing it so much! :D
I've been doing this all week since receiving my jacket! Haven't had much chance to go out, but I can't seem to take this thing off :D
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Thanks all. I wasn’t sure on the fit. Honestly I’m still not 100% sure on it, so I haven’t worn it. I feel as if the action pleats are poofing out, creating almost like wings. Is this something that is normal with Wested Indy jackets? Or is this a sign that my jacket is too large?

Measured the jackets pit to pit and it’s almost 28 inches. When I talked to Wested they said 26 was the norm for a 46 jacket and that there would be a 1/2 inch tolerance. If id have know there would be a two inch tolerance I’d have gone with a 44 jacket. Contemplating exchanging it.

Lunacyfringeam
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lunacyfringeam »

I'm sure someone with more ordering experience can chime in, but just from my view point it doesn't look too large. I can see where you're coming from though, and since it's OTR the exchange process I imagine would be pretty simple. The important thing is you're happy with it.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Lunacyfringeam wrote:I'm sure someone with more ordering experience can chime in, but just from my view point it doesn't look too large. I can see where you're coming from though, and since it's OTR the exchange process I imagine would be pretty simple. The important thing is you're happy with it.
I agree completely. The fit looks perfect. Also, regarding the action pleats puffing out, that was something that used to frustrate gearheads to no end, to the point where people started asking Peter to put elastic inside the pleats to keep them shut. But then some enterprising fellows posted screenshots showing that you can see the pleats on the original Raiders jacket puffing out. So your puffy action pleats aren't a flaw, they're a feature. ;)
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

If you think it's too large, exchange it. The shoulders look a little wide. I was lucky enough to buy my first Wested at their location. It was 2008 and Peter said that if the shoulder seems extend too far beyond the edge of one's shoulders, then the pleats will poof out. It looks like you could easily do a size smaller. My first jacket was a washed goat ROTLA, which was this jacket they had made overseas, in Pakistan, I think. Anyway, maybe this helps. My own experience has been that if you find stuff you don't like about it, you're never gonna be happy with it. It's a great looking jacket, by the way. I think it looks a lot better than the off-the-rack Raiders they were making ten years ago. But it does look a bit large in the area around the back side of the shoulders.
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Figured I'd jump on this thread instead of starting my own, already a TON of good info on here.

Looking to get my first ever Indy jacket and need some advice from the pros. I have a heavyweight dark brown Indy-like jacket I found at an antique shop of all places that I've been using for years, but I think it's time to upgrade! 8)

From all the posts on the Leather Jacket boards, I had narrowed it down to a Todd's jacket. Then I got to the more recent posts, and checked Todd's site, and see that they no longer offer their jacket. ](*,)

So, to cut it short, I'd like to get a Raiders-style jacket in a lightweight material (lamb or thin cowhide), as I'm looking to have a different enough jacket to justify the purchase to my wife \:D/

The budget is tough, as I'm limited to $200 MAX including everything (taxes, shipping, handling, etc.).

What's a guy in my position to do? Any and all advice on this is welcome! :whip:
Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

I absolutely love my Wested Raiders in Authentic Lamb! There are guys on here that are way more experienced and definitely helped me, so you’re in the right spot.
Idk what chest you are but for your price point I would check eBay. I check pretty much everyday to see if one has been added in my chest and Measurements. Lol

modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Metallicuda wrote:I absolutely love my Wested Raiders in Authentic Lamb! There are guys on here that are way more experienced and definitely helped me, so you’re in the right spot.
Idk what chest you are but for your price point I would check eBay. I check pretty much everyday to see if one has been added in my chest and Measurements. Lol

Thanks for the advice! I'm a 40L so it's tough for me to find anything that fits OTR. I'll keep an eye out for Wested jackets on eBay!
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I believe that the only Indy jacket you're going to get now at the $200 price point is a goatskin jacket by US Wings. I just checked and they do have an LC type jacket in goat for $195...or, just keep checking ebay...
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Charybdis wrote:I believe that the only Indy jacket you're going to get now at the $200 price point is a goatskin jacket by US Wings. I just checked and they do have an LC type jacket in goat for $195...or, just keep checking ebay...
Thanks for the heads up! Would you recommend that jacket?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Anything from USWings is essentially 'bullet proof'.

Regard! Michaelson :M:
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

Michaelson wrote:Anything from USWings is essentially 'bullet proof'.

Regard! Michaelson :M:
That makes me feel pretty great about them, thanks!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

You did really well with that one. If I were to have my time again in this hobby I would probably have bought the LC Hero. It wasn't available. Back when I first bought my LC from Wested, the patterns were not accurate and I was disappointed. I then had the Indy jacket itch scratched by a goat Gibson and Barnes, so I'm good.

I have always been torn between getting a tough, real world Indy or a screen accurate one. The former won out.
modernindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by modernindy »

CM wrote:You did really well with that one. If I were to have my time again in this hobby I would probably have bought the LC Hero. It wasn't available. Back when I first bought my LC from Wested, the patterns were not accurate and I was disappointed. I then had the Indy jacket itch scratched by a goat Gibson and Barnes, so I'm good.

I have always been torn between getting a tough, real world Indy or a screen accurate one. The former won out.
I've been trying to make sure that the jacket I get can be used and abused on adventures, I'm not looking to have to treat it too delicately or gingerly. More the spirit of Jones than that of the wardrobe crew on a film set. Got any pics of your Gibson & Barnes?