Resin Replica Recommendations?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Resin Replica Recommendations?

Post by Dangerfreak »

I've been scouting around for resin props of Indy's Raiders revolver to fill my holster when in public places. I've kept my eye out for both the Smith and Wesson model 1917 and the Smith and Wesson Mk.II hand ejector. I'd be happy with either.
Does anyone have any recommendations from a tried and tested source? I've found a couple online, but it's tricky to tell the quality from one or two online pictures. All advice most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk
WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Resin Replica Recommendations?

Post by WetDigger »

I have not bought from him, but this guy on Etsy makes and sells a pretty good representation of the Stembridge version of Indy's pistol. They pop up in his shop quite frequently. He also makes standard issue style 1917s. Im sure if you contacted him with your requirements he will be able to fix you up.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArmoredSlug?r ... eader-name

He popped up on my radar because I've been debating a resin stand-in for my real Bapty conversion should I ever choose to wear the rig out to a con. These look like the most realistic and detailed solid resin copies I have yet found.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Thanks for the heads up on this guy. I spotted his work in my search also. It does look good and so do his reviews. Price is well within range even with the UK shipping. Definitely worth considering.

Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Artsee1 on ebay makes the best Stembridge I've ever seen.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/53/54/0d ... b4e1a6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I own one and it's top notch.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Wow, certainly looks great in the pictures and the fact that you own one means you can testify to that. Nice shout, thank you. I shall check this out.

WetDigger
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WetDigger »

Agreed, I like this one even better!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

This thread has some suggestions.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=69075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Thanks Indiana Jeff, some useful links here which gives me a few options. Very helpful.

Regards, Dangerfreak.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Having chosen a resin replica I'm happy with, and being a UK resident, I decided to check out the law on the importing and public use of imitation firearms. I seemed to have opened a right can of worms as it appears the law is slightly different for different types of imitation and replica firearms. These laws have been adjusted over the years in response to various imitation/replica guns being used in gun crime.
It seems the UK police take the view that it isn't possible to guarantee correct identification of a weapon until it has been seized and so they respond to any calls relating to firearms in public as if they are dealing with a genuine loaded weapon. With the current international terrorist threat, an individual can easily find themselves surrounded by armed police should a nervous member of the public report you!
Although it is not illegal to own guns in the UK, only certain ones are banned, and many UK citizens own replica, airsoft, and other imitation weapons, the exact rules seem difficult to clear up. Historic re-enactors and theatre groups, for example, can have imitation weapons in public places under certain circumstances, but what does the individual Indy Gear collector do in the UK if they wish to appear in public with an imitation gun?
I know that other UK Indy Gear collectors have struggled with this problem and there seems to be a lot of confusion about UK law regarding this point. I have decided to try and get to the bottom of this for the benefit of other UK collectors so we know where we stand once and for all.
I have found this useful site: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/askquestion.mth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have contacted the police with my dilemma in regards to importing and carrying a resin replica Smith and Wesson M1917. I shall post the reply here for future reference.

Regards, Dangerfreak.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

OK, so this is the resin replica I'm going for: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5728537 ... ?ref=hp_rv
I decided to opt for the raw cast/unfinished version as I have some model paints and other bits, so I should be able to sort out the paint job I want. I informed the Police of my hobby, the weapon I was going for and that I was going to paint it to look screen accurate/realistic. I also mentioned that I intended to use it as a prop at public events. We have an annual comic con where I live now in it's second year, so there's one example of the kind of public event I would use it at. The Police got back to me very promptly and I received a reply later the same day I sent the email. Here's how the UK Police replied.

Thank you for your email.

From the information that you have provided the condition of the item being imported would not constitute an imitation firearm as it will be white resin. The modifications that you intend to make will turn the item into an imitation firearm.

An imitation firearm means "anything which has the appearance of being a firearm...whether or not it is capable of discharging any shot, bullet or other missile."..

Please note that police treat all reports involving weapons as if they are real live firearms. Because of this we would advise against having, or pretending to use the item in a public place; it would likely cause fewer concerns if you conceal the toy gun until you reach the convention.

If you are particularly concerned, the firearms department of your local policing team will be able to assist you further.

We hope this information is of use and you enjoy your conventions.

Regards,
PNLD

In general then, I take the email to state there's no problem importing the replica as long as it doesn't have 'the appearance of being a firearm', in other words if it doesn't look real or is obviously not real, doesn't shoot anything or go bang in any way, then ok. However, my proposed paint job makes it look realistic, giving it 'the appearance of being a firearm'. I take the email to suggest that this becomes a problem for the Police if I am reported to them as carrying something that appears to be a firearm. In the interest of public safety they would have to respond in the assumption that it is a real firearm threat. That's pretty understandable really.

Although the email advises against carrying the weapon in public, thereby eliminating any chance of a misunderstanding that may cause alarm, the email goes on to state that they recommend keeping the replica out of sight 'until you reach the convention'. This chimes with other bits of legislation I've read that allows replica or imitation weapons to be carried by, say airsoft enthusiasts or historic reenactors who may be meeting in what is technically a public place, such as a public access field or woodland. However, if questioned you must have an accepted defence for possessing the imitation/replica weapon, such as "I'm in an airsoft enthusiasts group attending a meet up", or "I'm an historic reenactor attending a show". Many such groups in the UK now produce photo I.D's for members in case of such a situation. Obviously it's easier to have an accepted defence if the imitation/replica firearm is not visible until you reach the official event you're attending. You're also less likely to have somebody call the Police on you.

I take the email to imply that it isn't strictly illegal to have a replica or imitation firearm at a public event as long as your defence for carrying the said item is acceptable to the law. Just don't walk through the streets on the way there with a realistic fake gun in your hand, or pretend to aim at people even if you are dressed as Indiana Jones. Also, where the email recommends not 'pretending to use it in a public place' I imagine that doesn't include posing for a photograph. Common sense should keep you out of trouble. The Police have to be mindful that some people are just plain foolish and it could be easy to cause a situation by producing a realistic looking gun without thinking, especially if gun crime has been an issue in your area. Thankfully where I live there's only been one shooting in 43 years and we have no gun crime. Lastly, if in any doubt, contact your local police firearms department.

One final note! NONE OF THIS INFORMATION COVERS BLANK FIRING HAND GUNS!!! I was part of a Wild West show a few years back at a local theme park. We were told that all our blank firing revolvers had to be pre 1870 in design. Any blank firing hand guns after that date are illegal in the UK, so a blank firing Indy gun is totally out for UK Indy Gear collectors. Sad, but true.

Well I hope this helps other UK Indy Gear collectors in their quest for an Indy gun.

Regards, Dangerfreak.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Thanks for sharing. Wise choice to check with your police.

Another note is to check with the con you will be attending. Different cons have different rules regarding weapons. Most have a "weapons check" where the items will be inspected and then tagged as compliant to con rules. This goes for whips as well as pistols.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Hi Dangerfreak, yes, you are correct.
I also explored what was possible a few years back and in summary you are very limited to a. what you can own and then b. what you can do with them.

Under the 2007 Violent Crime Reduction Act ( VCR), you are not allowed to own a Realistic Imitation Firearm in the UK unless you fit certain very specific criteria, e.g. prop buyer for a theatre or movies or are a member of a reenactment group.

The law allows replica firearms pre-1870 ( basically old-West types), deactivated firearms, and non-realistic replicas of guns after 1870 . Typically this means brightly coloured.

Even then, as Indiana Jeff, points out, all those regulations are what you can have as a collector in your own home. I would not, in the present climate with heightened terror alerts, want to carry anything other than something that looked completely unlike a realistic firearm in public, so brightly coloured or a nerf gun...

I have a small collection of deactivated Indy guns, a 1917 S&W, 1950s Browning HP, 1887 Webley WG and 1918 Mk VI , 1910 Mauser C96, but they cost much much more than replicas. You are talking £500-£600 typically and the Webleys and Mausers more than that. But I can only enjoy these as a collector, I could not display them in public. They live in a locked firearms cabinet.

I do also have an Artsee Stembridge in a very fetching pink. He was kind enough to paint it for me. But you could argue why bother?

I think your best bet would be to save for deactivated versions of the real things and consign yourself to going to conventions with nothing that looks like a weapon.

:TOH:
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Thanks for sharing. Wise choice to check with your police.

Another note is to check with the con you will be attending. Different cons have different rules regarding weapons. Most have a "weapons check" where the items will be inspected and then tagged as compliant to con rules. This goes for whips as well as pistols.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff, sensible advice. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Wotalark wrote:Hi Dangerfreak, yes, you are correct.
I also explored what was possible a few years back and in summary you are very limited to a. what you can own and then b. what you can do with them.

Under the 2007 Violent Crime Reduction Act ( VCR), you are not allowed to own a Realistic Imitation Firearm in the UK unless you fit certain very specific criteria, e.g. prop buyer for a theatre or movies or are a member of a reenactment group.

The law allows replica firearms pre-1870 ( basically old-West types), deactivated firearms, and non-realistic replicas of guns after 1870 . Typically this means brightly coloured.

Even then, as Indiana Jeff, points out, all those regulations are what you can have as a collector in your own home. I would not, in the present climate with heightened terror alerts, want to carry anything other than something that looked completely unlike a realistic firearm in public, so brightly coloured or a nerf gun...

I have a small collection of deactivated Indy guns, a 1917 S&W, 1950s Browning HP, 1887 Webley WG and 1918 Mk VI , 1910 Mauser C96, but they cost much much more than replicas. You are talking £500-£600 typically and the Webleys and Mausers more than that. But I can only enjoy these as a collector, I could not display them in public. They live in a locked firearms cabinet.

I do also have an Artsee Stembridge in a very fetching pink. He was kind enough to paint it for me. But you could argue why bother?

I think your best bet would be to save for deactivated versions of the real things and consign yourself to going to conventions with nothing that looks like a weapon.

:TOH:
You're quite right Wotalark. I was also looking at deactivated guns at first and they are much more expensive. They're also often antique and, as you point out, best kept in a cabinet.
I was looking for a holster stuffer to compliment my outfit for organised events in the future. Although, as you mention, the current terrorist problem has made the authorities very touchy about weapons in public, but as long as common sense reigns I imagine there should be no cause for alarm and no cause for someone to phone the police.
Luckily I live in a rural area where violence and crime is minimal, it's a very safe place to live. Being rural there are plenty of gun owners, such as farmers and bird shooters and occasionally you hear gun shots, especially if there's clay pigeon shooting or pheasant hunting going on. Of course nobody reacts to this it's part of country life. Trouble with guns just doesn't happen in my area. What I'm saying is if I was at an official event in my Indy gear in my area people would most likely assume my gun was a fake.
Here's an example of when the cops in my area reacted to a weapons call. I used to be in a Viking reenactment group. Every weekend after training we'd go to a pub in one of the larger towns. Members weren't keen to leave swords etc. in their cars, but the landlord was ok with us bringing them in. He'd open the back bar which was separate from the main bar, we'd get our drinks and move through to the back.
One day somebody on the street saw us filing into the pub in full authentic Viking kit, swords and shields etc. in hand and decided to call the police. In all the years I'd been a reenactor this only happened this once. The police tried to contact the pub, but nobody picked up the phone, so they sent an armed response team.
The Landlord saw the van pull up outside and all these armed coppers piling out. He met them at the door and it was explained that the police had been told a group of men with swords had entered the pub. The landlord explained the misunderstanding and the police simply packed up and left. We were none the wiser in the back bar.
It was expected to be a false alarm because of how quiet things are here. That's no excuse for complacency or carelessness on my part though, but I don't expect people to be concerned in my area as long as I use common sense. If, however, I'm proved wrong I shall be right back here to eat humble pie and you will have every right to say "I told you so" !

Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

. That's no excuse for complacency or carelessness on my part though, but I don't expect people to be concerned in my area as long as I use common sense. If, however, I'm proved wrong I shall be right back here to eat humble pie and you will have every right to say "I told you so" !

Thanks Dangerfreak

I wasn't trying to teach you to **** eggs, you know the lie of the land. I just wanted to share my experiences as I realised I would be forced down buying , essentially, antiques...

Good luck. You have all the details now for the makers and hopefully you can find a way ahead and not end up ](*,)

Look forward to seeing how you get on O:)
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

PS... there must be a very active autocorrect on the site. The apparent swear word , the "XXXX" was meant to be "****"
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Wotalark wrote:PS... there must be a very active autocorrect on the site. The apparent swear word , the "XXXX" was meant to be "****"
No worries mate. The advice is well appreciated. Will post some pics of the gun when I paint it up.

captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

I have been to multiple cons in my area, the Carolinas, and oddly enough, they have never tagged my whip! :lol: They will tag lightsabers, though! (I guess they want to reassure people it isn't a real lightsaber?) :-s
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

captblitzdawg wrote:

I have been to multiple cons in my area, the Carolinas, and oddly enough, they have never tagged my whip! :lol: They will tag lightsabers, though! (I guess they want to reassure people it isn't a real lightsaber?) :-s

:lol: