Perscription Aldens?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Perscription Aldens?

Post by Indiana Neri »

What if your orthopedic "perscribes"...er...recommends Aldens? Would you get a doctor's note saying "This paitent neeeds these shoes." Would you get a discount? Would it be like walking into CVS and getting a perscription filled? Just curious....I'm looking for an easy way out when it comes to the Aldens. Though I'm quite happy w/ my AE knock-off's, I just want the real deal.

Indy N. :wink:
DanoSaurus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DanoSaurus »

What I did is asked my podiatrist to write a letter recommending orthopedic boots to provide more support around the ankle in order to relieve pain in the foot and ankle. He wrote a very nice little note, and we discussed Aldens but he did not specifically prescribe them. Then when I ordered from shoecentral, I asked them to send a receipt that specified that they were orthopedic boots "per doctor's prescription" which they did. It sounds like they do that frequently with ortho shoes.

Now all I've got to do is submit both the letter and receipt to my flex insurance plan, and I should be reimbursed the full price of the Aldens. Note however that flex insurance is different than other kinds of insurance, basically it is like a bank account that my employer contributes to weekly a fixed percent based on my weekly gross. The flex plan then pays my health care premiums from that account, and there's always some left over that accumulates from month to month. I can then use this money for any medical or health related needs, mostly stuff that regular insurance won't cover. I have co-workers who have gotten reimbursed for air purifiers and even hardwood floors to relieve allergies. Others have been reimbursed for "theraputic massage" sessions or those space foam beds. Personally I have been reimbursed for prescription glasses and sunglasses (until my laser surgery which was also covered), doctor co-pays, prescription co-pays, and even a gym membership.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my insurance is very lenient on reimbursements, so YMMV. But basically I think it would work the same way, you pay full price on the Aldens, submit it to your insurance and they reimburse you.

I know others here have had Aldens specifically prescribed for them, so I'm sure they can shed more light on the process.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mine were prescribed. Unfortunately, all the amount did was help me meet my deductable for the year. :roll: They are indeed considered a medical item if prescribed by a doctor. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Sweet! I'm gonna haveta keep that in mind next time I see my Orthopedic. Thanx for the info, guys!

Indy N. :wink: