My adVintage hats are here

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My adVintage hats are here

Post by bearbeast »

And they are great.

I've been thinking whether to get an Indy hat or not for quite a while. About a month ago I finally pulled the trigger. An aV Raiders Fedora in soft Raiders Sable felt. And a Last Crusade Harrison Fedora in Sable. Yesterday I got them and they are great.

They are a bit too big, because I am bad at measuring. But they are amazing. Here are some pics:

You can also check some high-definition pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/TlZZ1uC.

Cheers,
Bear
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: My adVintage hats are here

Post by teneas »

They look great on you! What's to big?

Advintage, and every other hat I own always gets a bit more snug as they are worn, as you sweat, etc. It will fit in time unless it's grossly to large.

Advintage is my favorite among all the makers, and I own one of each for the most part.

Great choice!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks, Teneas! Both hats are wonderfully made and you can tell the quality of work and materials.

The general size is perfect, only the...sweatband circumference is too large. I added a little padding underneath it and they fit much bettter. :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

Pretty common on both of mine to but they do shrink in time
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That is great news! :D

When they shrink a bit they'll be a perfect fit.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Look fantastic! Great choices...
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Yep. Worse thing you could have is a perfect fit out of the box. Cause it only gets tighter from there.
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Thanks for the advice guys! I try to wear them as much as possible so they'll break in and fit me nicely!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

bearbeast wrote:About a month ago I finally pulled the trigger. An aV Raiders Fedora in soft Raiders Sable felt. And a Last Crusade Harrison Fedora in Sable. Yesterday I got them and they are great.
Hey Bear, which hat is which? Sorry if I'm missing wherever you say that. I don't see labels here or on the high def pics. Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hopefully he’ll see your question, considering this thread is 3 years old. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Michaelson wrote:Hopefully he’ll see your question, considering this thread is 3 years old. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Hahaha - yeah, I know! I just know that it's best practice to look for answers in old threads rather than to start new, redundant ones.

I'm ordering an adVintage hat and am deciding between "Raiders Sable" (now called "Bright Sable") and "True Sable" - if anyone can share photos or weigh in on a color comparison I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thomas as aV clearly favors "True Sable" but I'm interested in hearing thoughts & seeing pictures from current aV owners.

Thanks!
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

mr_alex wrote:
bearbeast wrote:About a month ago I finally pulled the trigger. An aV Raiders Fedora in soft Raiders Sable felt. And a Last Crusade Harrison Fedora in Sable. Yesterday I got them and they are great.
Hey Bear, which hat is which? Sorry if I'm missing wherever you say that. I don't see labels here or on the high def pics. Thanks!
Found the answer in a different thread! For future, the lighter one is Raider's Sable and is Bear's favorite! As he says here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69273&p=912776&hili ... ge#p912776
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

mr_alex wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Hopefully he’ll see your question, considering this thread is 3 years old. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Hahaha - yeah, I know! I just know that it's best practice to look for answers in old threads rather than to start new, redundant ones.
Thanks!
Not always. :? Necroposting can sometimes raise the hackles of the administrators too. ;)

Glad you found your answer.

Regards! M
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Michaelson wrote:Not always. :? Necroposting can sometimes raise the hackles of the administrators too. ;)
Ah, the fine art of message board etiquette! Thanks for the tip, Michaelson. I'll keep this in mind going forward!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:TOH:
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Sorry, guys! I can't believe I missed the question... I'm usually on the forum daily... ](*,)

Glad you found the answer in the end!

Cheers,
Bear
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

Good word of the day : necroposting :D . Thanks Michaelson :tup: :TOH:

So Bearbeast - do they fit better now? That's what jumped out at me from seeing this again!
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

They do fit better, but only thanks to Andrea Tognarelli. After a few months he reblocked them for me.

Originally they were definitely way too big, I can say this now that I know how a hat should fit on the ole' noggin'. I must have measured wrong initially.
MattWinchell
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MattWinchell »

Not sure if this is the best place to mention this (I don't see a spot particularly to sell singular items, so please feel free to delete this message admins), but I mistakingly bought an Advintage Harrison Raider's Fedora without a turn, 56cm Sable. I'd like to return it, but the shipping costs are pretty hefty, and I was hoping I could sell it to someone in the US so the shipping isn't harsh. I am currently getting an S&J explorador 36' hat instead.

I haven't even bothered taking the hat out of the box, so it is completely untouched. DM me if you're interested & I will send over a pic of the untouched box with proof of purchase.
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

MattWinchell wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to mention this (I don't see a spot particularly to sell singular items, so please feel free to delete this message admins), but I mistakingly bought an Advintage Harrison Raider's Fedora without a turn, 56cm Sable. I'd like to return it, but the shipping costs are pretty hefty, and I was hoping I could sell it to someone in the US so the shipping isn't harsh. I am currently getting an S&J explorador 36' hat instead.

I haven't even bothered taking the hat out of the box, so it is completely untouched. DM me if you're interested & I will send over a pic of the untouched box with proof of purchase.
You can post it up for sale in the bazaar.
MattWinchell
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MattWinchell »

Pyramid Jones wrote:
MattWinchell wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to mention this (I don't see a spot particularly to sell singular items, so please feel free to delete this message admins), but I mistakingly bought an Advintage Harrison Raider's Fedora without a turn, 56cm Sable. I'd like to return it, but the shipping costs are pretty hefty, and I was hoping I could sell it to someone in the US so the shipping isn't harsh. I am currently getting an S&J explorador 36' hat instead.

Either I am completely blind or something else, but I can't seem to find a thread labelled the bazaar. Do you mean the "Marrakesh Supply Co" haha
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

MattWinchell wrote:
Pyramid Jones wrote:

Either I am completely blind or something else, but I can't seem to find a thread labelled the bazaar. Do you mean the "Marrakesh Supply Co" haha
It should be the one right under the supply co. Maybe you have to post a certain amount of times to unlock it or something.
MattWinchell
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MattWinchell »

Pyramid Jones wrote:
MattWinchell wrote:
Pyramid Jones wrote:

It should be the one right under the supply co. Maybe you have to post a certain amount of times to unlock it or something.
You mean Crescant Moon Emporium? I thought that place was just for project runs, not singular items?
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

No it should be titled the “Cairo Bazaar”. I’d get in touch with an admin and find out why you can’t see it.
tubasthebest
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by tubasthebest »

Matt, you can find a little more information about why you can't see the section yet here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71682&p=931859&hil ... um#p931859

Just keep interacting, you will see it soon enough.
MattWinchell
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MattWinchell »

tubasthebest wrote:Matt, you can find a little more information about why you can't see the section yet here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71682&p=931859&hil ... um#p931859

Just keep interacting, you will see it soon enough.
Just got it. I appreciate haha.
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

I ordered an interesting one!
This one is seaplane meets streets of Cairo.
I also added a softer pinch and asked for slightly longer brim than usual with a 45mm ribbon and it makes for a fresh adventure style seaplane hat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cropdustdair
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cropdustdair »

That's a really nice fedora! Love the hybrid... :TOH:
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

So cool! That's something I've never seen before! Very bold and unique. Thomas probably had a lot of fun making that one!
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Thanks guys!
Looks pretty slick for sure

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's a fine looking hat you have there! :M: :tup:

Regard! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I have always loved the gray hat. Very nice!
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

How fun! You wear it well. Lots of swagger!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Those are some very nice lids! =P~ :TOH:
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Just curious how durable people are finding the rabbit Harrisons? I have a Fed 4 Deluxe which I truly love and can famously take a beating but I keep eyeing Advintage waiting for the Harrisons to be back in stock and I can’t help but think about pulling the trigger on one when they do.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Keep in mind that Akubra rabbit felts are a blend of rabbit and native Australian jackrabbit furs that make their felts a lot tougher and field ready than standard rabbit dress felts. Not a true apple to apple comparison.

Regards! Michaelson
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Good to consider, thank you! The Harrisons are pretty much the upper limit of my price range at the moment and as I would want any Indy fedora to be able to handle hiking and camping sounds like sticking with the Fed 4 would be the best bet.
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Hobbit Fedora wrote:Just curious how durable people are finding the rabbit Harrisons? I have a Fed 4 Deluxe which I truly love and can famously take a beating but I keep eyeing Advintage waiting for the Harrisons to be back in stock and I can’t help but think about pulling the trigger on one when they do.
I have 2 rabbit Harrisons, 1 in Raiders sable and 1 plain sable. I had 2 Fed IVs before that, and while I love Akubras (I have many western Akubras, too) I was frustrated with the not-quite-Indy brown felt and ribbon, and the dimensional brim being a tiny bit short on the sides.

Not an expert, but I much prefer the Harrisons (I also have 2 80/20 rabbit/beaver Harrisons, which AdVintage doesn't seem to have any more). The colors of both hat and ribbon are much more accurate, the brim size is right on target, and the felt feels thinner/lighter than the Fed IV yet still sturdy.

For the color, ribbon, expert blocking to suit your movie preference, and lighter-weight felt, I think the Harrison is well worth the slightly higher cost compared to the Fed IV.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

To add...the Akubra line was created for Australian outback working stockmen and adventurers.. I'd say any of them will hold up on your camping trips. (specifically directed to Hobbit Fedora)

Taking NOTHING from adVintage or anyone else's rabbit felts. It's just Akubra felts are field use specific.

Regard! Michaelson
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Thanks for the input! Trust me, I would be sold on Advintage’s custom hats if I could! My Fed 4 Deluxe is great, no issues with it…and I even like the color…but the bug is well bitten and I keep wanting that perfect (for what ever that means :lol: ) Last Crusade fedora. The Fed 4 is really close but I guess I just have the need to keep chasing that whale. I say that knowing I’m talking to a whole bunch of Indy enablers too!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

OH yeah. That itch rarely gets completely 'scratched'. :lol: ;)

Regard! Michaelson
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

One of the coolest looking Raiders hats I've seen in a while!! Good for you, daring to extend the brim! That's what's missing in a lot of raiders hats IMO
thecoolmiester wrote:Image

Thanks guys!

thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

whiskyman wrote:One of the coolest looking Raiders hats I've seen in a while!! Good for you, daring to extend the brim! That's what's missing in a lot of raiders hats IMO

Thanks guys!

Thank you!
I’ve always thought the same thing, and after this hat came out so well I’ll probably order a similar dimensions in a raiders sable one day, but I’m sure my Steele and Jones order I have in will have them widen the brim as they do more custom work based on my face, height etc.

Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

Hobbit Fedora wrote:Thanks for the input! Trust me, I would be sold on Advintage’s custom hats if I could! My Fed 4 Deluxe is great, no issues with it…and I even like the color…but the bug is well bitten and I keep wanting that perfect (for what ever that means :lol: ) Last Crusade fedora. The Fed 4 is really close but I guess I just have the need to keep chasing that whale. I say that knowing I’m talking to a whole bunch of Indy enablers too!
Well the other thing to keep in mind is that the Harrison is designed, so to speak, to replicate the Raiders hat. Thomas mentions this, but the brim will likely be a bit too long on the sides, at least depending on your size. The cowboy curls of the LC will help that some, and you can always trim it if you like. The Fed really does a good job for the LC, especially the dimensions and the stiffer character of the Borsalino type felt HJ used 30+ years ago, and the color will sun bleach down to a more accurate color and if you replace the ribbon it works great.

But to echo Michaelson, the Fed is the best option for actual adventure wear and is easily the most durable option out there for under $300-400 now. The Harrison is a great hat for the price but is a dress felt. The colors and dimensions work great for Raiders cosplay but it will take damage more easily than the Fed. My advice, as someone who owns Feds and Harrisons and Penman and AB and Screencapped, is that if you get a Harrison to spray the heck out of it with Scotchguard or another waterproofing spray. You get varying opinions about this, but in my experience my Harrison has held up really well for a bunny felt after I sprayed the bejeezus out of it.
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Illinois_Jones wrote:
Hobbit Fedora wrote:Thanks for the input! Trust me, I would be sold on Advintage’s custom hats if I could! My Fed 4 Deluxe is great, no issues with it…and I even like the color…but the bug is well bitten and I keep wanting that perfect (for what ever that means :lol: ) Last Crusade fedora. The Fed 4 is really close but I guess I just have the need to keep chasing that whale. I say that knowing I’m talking to a whole bunch of Indy enablers too!
Well the other thing to keep in mind is that the Harrison is designed, so to speak, to replicate the Raiders hat. Thomas mentions this, but the brim will likely be a bit too long on the sides, at least depending on your size. The cowboy curls of the LC will help that some, and you can always trim it if you like. The Fed really does a good job for the LC, especially the dimensions and the stiffer character of the Borsalino type felt HJ used 30+ years ago, and the color will sun bleach down to a more accurate color and if you replace the ribbon it works great.

But to echo Michaelson, the Fed is the best option for actual adventure wear and is easily the most durable option out there for under $300-400 now. The Harrison is a great hat for the price but is a dress felt. The colors and dimensions work great for Raiders cosplay but it will take damage more easily than the Fed. My advice, as someone who owns Feds and Harrisons and Penman and AB and Screencapped, is that if you get a Harrison to spray the heck out of it with Scotchguard or another waterproofing spray. You get varying opinions about this, but in my experience my Harrison has held up really well for a bunny felt after I sprayed the bejeezus out of it.

Thank you all for the input, just the info I was hoping to find! Looking at the brim specs I see what you mean. Worth to consider if I decide to get a Raiders style, though honestly, for my height, the Fed 4 almost feels too wide (there’s a reason I went with “Hobbit” in my title :lol: ). And yeah, certainly would need to spray it down, here in Central Florida it’s generally blazing hot then sudden monsoon! The Fed 4 shrugs that off but I can’t help but feel the Harrison may make me a bit nervous :[
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

thecoolmiester wrote:
whiskyman wrote:One of the coolest looking Raiders hats I've seen in a while!! Good for you, daring to extend the brim! That's what's missing in a lot of raiders hats IMO

Thanks guys!

Thank you!
I’ve always thought the same thing, and after this hat came out so well I’ll probably order a similar dimensions in a raiders sable one day, but I’m sure my Steele and Jones order I have in will have them widen the brim as they do more custom work based on my face, height etc.

Just wanted to add to the praise, that fedora is sharp and you wear it well!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

That looks great! Does anyone know if the muffin top helps minimize future taper?
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Tibor wrote:That looks great! Does anyone know if the muffin top helps minimize future taper?
I've been wondering the same thing. I bought an SOC hoping it was so. :-k
Hobbit Fedora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hobbit Fedora »

Tibor wrote:That looks great! Does anyone know if the muffin top helps minimize future taper?

As with anything, it probably depends. But generally because the “muffin” would be pushed out felt, should it shrink a bit it would be less noticeable due to it being over-corrected initially.