Re: Wested's HERO jacket...

Post by GrailHunter »

It is based on storage. Clearing out older pictures worked for me
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

GrailHunter wrote:It is based on storage. Clearing out older pictures worked for me
I'll give it a try. The announcement recently posted to Photobucket was pretty clear though.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

Marv wrote:Well, I've placed my order with Wested for a Hero in shrunken lamb with the following measurements. (earlier post)

1) Chest - 44"
2) Sleeve length - 24.5" (was 25" on my custom raiders)
3) Back length - 24.5" (was 26" on my custom raiders)

I'm approx 5' 11" so hopefully these measuremets should work well.

My Wested Hero in shrunken lamb size 44" has arrived (yesterday in fact) and I have literally taken it straight out of the packaging, given the jacket a hot water soaking and worn until dry.

The fit is great, so thankfully my requested measurements were good so thanks for all that helped in getting these right (especially Tibor), anyway here are just a couple of quick photos of the jacket. :TOH:

I'm impressed with the shrunken lamb, very SA I think and the hide is wonderful and lightweight plus showing a lot of promise on the breaking in side of things to. :)
After searching out a different image hosting app, I've re-posted a my current photo of my Hero jacket with a little more wear etc.

Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

Here are a few more......

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Kt Templar wrote:I'm quite fond of my Hero in shrunk lamb too. :)

Look's like a black lining, or is it just the light? Great looking jacket.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

Haven't been on the forums in a while..... but i have that itch again for a NEW indy jacket. :-k

I have an awesome US Wings in antique cow that i purchased a few years ago during the first runs... (but I'm planning to distress it more finally and making it looks more Last Crusade.... )

I felt at that point the jacket search was over. But recently I've been wanting to get a more fit jacket / and lighter for LA weather, and was looking at the new wested hero Raiders, or getting one of the Kelso jackets.

The new wested jackets in the New Zealand seem to be amazing. Much improvements over prior year issues some people were having with accuracy. But love what I'm seeing now.

Whats the general feeling from most on the newer Hero wested jackets? Price is way better compared to a Kelso.... but I'm not against spending that much for something so nice either.

Thanks Guys !
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

xmasters wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:I'm quite fond of my Hero in shrunk lamb too. :)
Look's like a black lining, or is it just the light? Great looking jacket.
Yes, it's a heavier weight black cotton drill that Peter has, I like the weight.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I can't say for older versions of Wested's Hero jacket, mine was made in June 2017 and after trawling through the various thread for information and asking forum members questions regarding sizing & fit which was a fantastic help as the measurements is supplied to Wested were perfect for myself.

Height - 5' 11"
Jacket size - 44" Chest
Back Length - 24.5 inches
Sleeve Length - 24.5 inches

The shrunken lamb is really great, I asked Wested for a sample of their current batch (at the time - not sure if it was made from the sample batch of NZ lamb that Wested were/are testing at present) so I could confirm if the hide shade was going to suit what I was looking for and thankfully, it was and very SA I think.

I find the fit of the jacket quite comfortable, the drape is good, I asked for a reduction in the length of the waist straps to 6.5 inches as their default length is way too long which worked way better.

The only thing and it's not a problem, is the shape of the pocket flaps as they seem quite pointy for a Raiders which if I am correct should less and more subtle but that neither here or there to be honest.

The lamb hide seems pretty substantial and develops good grain and creasing through general wear plus takes a good soaking and comes out looking even better.

Overall, thumbs up Wested on a cracking Hero jacket.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Has anyone ordered a HERO and received it within the last two months?

Wested is no longer sending leather samples out.

Be great to see what it looks like in their current Soft Brown Cowhide, Brown Goatskin or Authentic Brown Lambskin.
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I got mine in late September in Shrunken Lamb.

Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_AlAeqW70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Great video temple_runner - watched it recently a couple weeks ago. Does it feel it will last a long time? (edit: you did mention it felt durable - how has it held up since then?)

What kind of leather is your jacket giantthugee86? It looks really good as well.

Thanks to you both for the rapid responses!
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

distantpeople wrote:Great video temple_runner - watched it recently a couple weeks ago. Does it feel it will last a long time? (edit: you did mention it felt durable - how has it held up since then?)

What kind of leather is your jacket giantthugee86? It looks really good as well.

The leather came very supple. I wore it pretty much daily in rain and shine for the past three months. It hardly had a scratch on it because the leather is nice and durable. I recently did some aging on it and it took quite a few passes to really show through. It's not a fly-by-night leather. At first, its lightweight nature and suppleness made me think it wouldn't be durable, but I'm certain this will last for many years unless it gets cut with a blade or something drastic. I think it could be run over or dragged and be fine.
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to this thread - your research has been a huge help! Ordered one today as below.

Also re-watched the 1981 On the Raiders Set documentary from the blu-ray deluxe collection. Almost ordered the lamb, but wanted the thin cowhide for durability. At least the cowhide looked sort of close to at least one of the jackets shown in the outtakes and in the behind the scenes footage.

Hoping it will be done by end of December so will post photographs once in hand.

Special Raiders Hero Jacket
Leather: Soft Brown Cowhide (thin as per request)
Size: 44
Sleeve Length: 24.5
Back Length: 23
Lining: All Cotton Silesia Body and Sleeves

Custom Requests:
Collar label and size tags unattached
Straps 6.5 inches long
Very thin, soft cowhide

Also sent along the relevant measurements on this chart in case helpful:

giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

distantpeople wrote:Great video temple_runner - watched it recently a couple weeks ago. Does it feel it will last a long time? (edit: you did mention it felt durable - how has it held up since then?)

I believe it's authentic brown lamb. I bought it second hand for $150. :TOH: :TOH:
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

[/quote] I believe it's authentic brown lamb. I bought it second hand for $150. :TOH: :TOH:[/quote]

You did well with that one!
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

I just ordered a new shrunken lamb hero and I have a older goat skin hero I bought second hand. I felt it was too short with a back length of 24 inch but I measured and seems around 23 so not sure about that but I ordered a new one with a 25 inch back but same sleeve size (25) and chest (44) everything think it be okay as far as log enough? Or should I have chose 26 back? I am 6’ 1” here is a pic of me in my goat with 44 chest 25 sleeves and supposedly 24 back.

http://i.imgur.com/dwk5Pcg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i.imgur.com/cuMTpV8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I'm six two and 183 pounds I wear a 42 or 40 with a 26 inch back. For me a 44 is too big, the shoulder seams are oversized in an Indy jacket but in a 44 they seem to slide almost to the elbow. I prefer a longer jacket. But I never dress as Indy I wear the jacket with jeans or work pants. The job is to look at the movie and decide for yourself where you think the jacket needs to sit on you. People come to widely different conclusions.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

indyfan1234 wrote:I just ordered a new shrunken lamb hero and I have a older goat skin hero I bought second hand. I felt it was too short with a back length of 24 inch but I measured and seems around 23 so not sure about that but I ordered a new one with a 25 inch back but same sleeve size (25) and chest (44) everything think it be okay as far as log enough? Or should I have chose 26 back? I am 6’ 1” here is a pic of me in my goat with 44 chest 25 sleeves and supposedly 24 back.

http://i.imgur.com/dwk5Pcg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i.imgur.com/cuMTpV8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should be fine. More than 25" back on a Hero jacket would be too long.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

CM wrote:I'm six two and 183 pounds I wear a 42 or 40 with a 26 inch back. For me a 44 is too big, the shoulder seams are oversized in an Indy jacket but in a 44 they seem to slide almost to the elbow. I prefer a longer jacket. But I never dress as Indy I wear the jacket with jeans or work pants. The job is to look at the movie and decide for yourself where you think the jacket needs to sit on you. People come to widely different conclusions.
I have a larger chest and my current 44 fits me fine but I think a 42 would have been tight in the chest. Weird because I am normally a 42 chest in most things but the hero I am not :-/
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Out of interest what does your chest measure with a tape measure without inhaling air?
temple_runner
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by temple_runner »

I've always measured my chest as full of air as I could because you want the jacket to be able to zip and be, for instance, running from someone (a tribe?), breathing heavily.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

CM wrote:Out of interest what does your chest measure with a tape measure without inhaling air?
With my chest inhaling it is just .1 over 44 inches without it’s actually 42.5 ish now. #### need to loose weight haha
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Just received my shrunken lamb raiders hero in! Love this jacket but never owned a lamb jacket and this thing is light. And so soft I feel I can rip it easily. But I still love this jacket. I requested they choose the darkest jacket they had since I know color can vary.

http://i.imgur.com/XXURwzj.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That looks really nice!
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

xmasters wrote:That looks really nice!
Thank you! Definitely easily my favorite Indy jacket I have. The color is just great and glad they gave me a darker leather as I know there was some light batches of the shrunken lamb. Seems almost same as regular lamb but with a little more character in the leather:
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Here are some pics with my full gear!

http://i.imgur.com/VkkUcRy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/413gGJS.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/vz1OvWB.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/BcahcXT.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

Hey Everyone,

I just placed an order for a Raiders shrunken lamb hero but Im a little nervous about the details on the sizing.

I typically wear a 38S jacket, or size small. I currently have a Todd's raiders jacket, and while I like it, the sleeves and back are a little too short on me which is what prompted me to order the Hero.
I specified 24.5" for the sleeves and 24.5 for the back. I've looked through a lot of the Hero threads here and have noticed that quite a few jackets look long. I definitely want it longer than my Todd's, but at the same time dont want it too long.

If anyone could comment as to the length, especially if you wear a size 38, that would be extremely helpful.

Also, should I specify the side straps to be 6.5"?

Thanks!

-Clipper
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Clipper wrote:Hey Everyone,

I just placed an order for a Raiders shrunken lamb hero but Im a little nervous about the details on the sizing.

I typically wear a 38S jacket, or size small. I currently have a Todd's raiders jacket, and while I like it, the sleeves and back are a little too short on me which is what prompted me to order the Hero.
I specified 24.5" for the sleeves and 24.5 for the back. I've looked through a lot of the Hero threads here and have noticed that quite a few jackets look long. I definitely want it longer than my Todd's, but at the same time dont want it too long.

If anyone could comment as to the length, especially if you wear a size 38, that would be extremely helpful.

Also, should I specify the side straps to be 6.5"?

Thanks!

-Clipper
I have a question I have seen mentioned before, but where does the 6.5 inch measurement for the side strap come from? Is this just a shorter preference or is it based on an actual fact that the Raider’s strap is this length? I have Nowak Raiders which was replicated from a screen jacket according to Tony, and it’s length is 7 1/4 inches. Very curious.
Last edited by Stefan Hills on Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Agreed. The straps should be around 7 1/4 ish
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Holt wrote:Agreed. The straps should be around 7 1/4 ish
For those who have a Raider’s Wested Hero, how long are these straps?

Best wishes,
Stefan
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

On my size 42" Hero jacket they are 9 1/4

So you should ask for the length Nowak specified. The Wested Hero is slightly modified (again by Peter) and the straps are slightly longer for some reason. (probably to allow for fat guys to wear the jacket).
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I see quite a few of these riding up in the front where they should drape down a bit.
Clipper
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Clipper »

9 1/4" seems crazy long! I was able to get them to shorten the straps to 7 1/4" but the jacket is already being made so I guess I'll just have to see how the 24.5" back looks on me when I get it. So hard to know how it will look when my Todds is about 23" and is too short, and my S&J LC is 24 3/4" and is perfect. Thats why I went with 24.5, but no idea how the fit compares. Will be interesting to see.

-Clipper
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hey guys,
Back here after a long time without posting.
I'm on the fence about ordering one of these. (BK and S&J are out of my league, financially speaking)
My problem is the choice of the leather. I'm looking for a soft spring jacket, but also want something that will last a long time, and i'll be wearing it a lot. Oh and i'd like to have a minimum screen accurate look too. I love washed and shrunken lamb, but are these strong enough to be worn daily and last a few years?

Envoyé de mon A0001 en utilisant Tapatalk
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I would consider all your options.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

Stefan Hills wrote:
Holt wrote:Agreed. The straps should be around 7 1/4 ish
For those who have a Raider’s Wested Hero, how long are these straps?

Best wishes,
Stefan
Didn't own a Wested Raider's Hero when this was posted. FWIW, mine is circa ~2010, straps are 7 1/2".
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

xmasters wrote: So you should ask for the length Nowak specified.
Nowak Raiders jackets had 7.75" approx. straps lenght.-
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

jnicktem wrote:I asked Gemma about more pics and she said they didn't have any. This is the best that I got:

Is Wested still using the vegetable-tanned shrunken lamb like the one from the picture above?
Prodigal Son
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Prodigal Son »

jnicktem wrote:Well I just got my Wested Hero in shrunken lamb just a few minutes ago. First impressions: it's a very nice jacket. The design is a lot like my Nowak. The leather is very soft, not a ton of character (except for a dent that almost looks like a long cut), and it actually reminds me a lot of the washed goat I used to have. The jacket was made just like I asked, which is very nice.

Here are some pics:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7202.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7203.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7207.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7209.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7212.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... G_7214.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or does the Wested Shrunken Lam really look like what is in the photos above?
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Got myself my second jacket! It’s a Wested Hero Raiders.

Ordered the hero 2 inches shorter so it can reach my normal length. It hits exactly below the belt and the backlength is an inch or two higher from my rear pockets compared to my first standard goatskin though. I’m alright with it since it looks snugger and sits within the waist area like in the Raiders film. There were shots of Ford where his jacket shows his belt at times whenever he movies.
What do you guys think?

The shrunken lamb is really really light. Felt weird at first coming from a goat skin user. Felt paper ish. But yes very light, really makes the goatskin look much heavier.

Front Zipped: https://imgur.com/RrvS89Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back Zipped: https://imgur.com/589NUGK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Front Open: https://imgur.com/e7quGlI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back Open: https://imgur.com/Zh3sUML" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

More photos

https://m.imgur.com/PYyrHAq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Unzipped front)

https://m.imgur.com/qsiRRet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Unzipped back)

https://m.imgur.com/Di8PftN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Zipped Back)

https://m.imgur.com/P5IEDVZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Side view )
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

LostRaider25 wrote:More photos

https://m.imgur.com/PYyrHAq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Unzipped front)

https://m.imgur.com/qsiRRet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Unzipped back)

https://m.imgur.com/Di8PftN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Zipped Back)

https://m.imgur.com/P5IEDVZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Side view )
The shrunken lamb looks great! Can I ask you what size you ordered and what specs you asked for? As well as maybe a baseline on chest, waist, height, weight, etc.?

Thanks!
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Marv wrote:
Marv wrote:Well, I've placed my order with Wested for a Hero in shrunken lamb with the following measurements. (earlier post)

1) Chest - 44"
2) Sleeve length - 24.5" (was 25" on my custom raiders)
3) Back length - 24.5" (was 26" on my custom raiders)

I'm approx 5' 11" so hopefully these measuremets should work well.

My Wested Hero in shrunken lamb size 44" has arrived (yesterday in fact) and I have literally taken it straight out of the packaging, given the jacket a hot water soaking and worn until dry.

The fit is great, so thankfully my requested measurements were good so thanks for all that helped in getting these right (especially Tibor), anyway here are just a couple of quick photos of the jacket. :TOH:

I'm impressed with the shrunken lamb, very SA I think and the hide is wonderful and lightweight plus showing a lot of promise on the breaking in side of things to. :)
After searching out a different image hosting app, I've re-posted a my current photo of my Hero jacket with a little more wear etc.

Hello Marv,

Would you say this photo is an accurate representation of the shrunken lamb color? If so, that's a great shade.

I'm 5'10", 195lbs myself and wear a 42R jacket, 16.5 34/35 shirts myself so I'm curious about the jacket back and sleeve length. Sleeves, I think I would do about the same as you. Back, maybe .5" shorter. Not sure.
Grendl
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grendl »

LostRaider25, is the right sleeve significantly shorter than the left sleeve? Looks that way in all the pictures, or is this a part of the "Hero" design I was unfamiliar with?
LostRaider25 wrote:More photos

marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

Wested just emailed me this comparison pic of the washed lamb vs shrunken lamb. I know a lot of people order the shrunken lamb and even Wested says it's the best choice for a Raiders jacket, but the washed lamb to me seems to be the darker, more appropriate shade, along with the striations that is evident on on the actual Ford jacket.

What do you guys think? Washed or shrunken for a Hero?

https://i.imgur.com/9o7B7EY.jpg
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

If you want to be certain to get a darker jacket, order the washed lamb. It's a nice skin. It's not the screen accurate Raiders skin, that had ribby striations, but it's a good choice and colour for a Raiders jacket.

However If you want the screen accurate skin/jacket, you need to look at a kelso, or Steele and Jones, you're talking more money then though.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

xmasters wrote:If you want to be certain to get a darker jacket, order the washed lamb. It's a nice skin. It's not the screen accurate Raiders skin, that had ribby striations, but it's a good choice and colour for a Raiders jacket.

However If you want the screen accurate skin/jacket, you need to look at a kelso, or Steele and Jones, you're talking more money then though.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm already deciding on either Magnoli's Adventure WL in cowhide or the Wested Hero in one of these lambs. I don't need to get the actual 100% screen accurate skin (because apparently that doesn't exist), but I do want something that you'll immediately identify as a Indy Raiders jacket.

edit: @#$%, now I just saw the Kelso jacket...It's perfect. ######, I wish you hadn't have said anything lol :#:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Haha, it is. Washed lamb Hero jacket is still a very good option though.
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by marker2037 »

I just decided to place an order with Wested for the washed lamb \:D/

Went with a size 42
24.5" sleeves
24" back
Asked for 7.25" straps

Let's hope I got the measurements correct on this one! I was in between going with a 23.5" and 24" back, but settled on 24". I think it should work either way though.