Steele and jones cazadora 38 on its way

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Steele and jones cazadora 38 on its way

Post by pdraycott »

Will soon have the above in my hands . Jacket looks great. Will post my thoughts on it once I receive it. But for now here are some pics they sent me of the jacket.
I think it looks fantastic.

https://ibb.co/fqcBZ7
https://ibb.co/gqoJE7
https://ibb.co/epfn7S
https://ibb.co/gHtJE7
https://ibb.co/mRJ77S
https://ibb.co/iiJUMn
https://ibb.co/fJFn7S
https://ibb.co/cjjQu7
Obersalzberg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Steele and jones cazadora 38 on its way

Post by Obersalzberg »

Looks SOLID. Congrats. :clap:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Great looking jacket, but what’s with everyone putting brass buttons on their LC jackets? The movie jackets clearly have dark snaps. I had to change the buttons on my LC Hero because Wested refused to do it. :x
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

whipwarrior wrote:Great looking jacket, but what’s with everyone putting brass buttons on their LC jackets? The movie jackets clearly have dark snaps. I had to change the buttons on my LC Hero because Wested refused to do it. :x
Whipwarrior,
I respectfully have to correct you on this.

Original snaps and zipper on LC jackets were:

GOLDEN (metal blackener was applied by Custom Department to darken the hardware, and avoid excessive shine)

We have solid prove. (not screencaps)
We will reveal all our studies, HD pictures, pattern details of a screen-used jacket, very soon.

Best Regards.-
Last edited by Indiego Jones on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I understand they were brass, but the fact remains that they were dark on-screen. The pure brass buttons just look too shiny. The choice lies with the individual customer, though, so we can have our cake and eat it, too. :TOH:
Obersalzberg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obersalzberg »

I replaced the brass snaps for black ones, which can be seen in the newest photos I posted in another thread. It may not be SA but I think it makes the jacket more sharp.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It compliments the dark leather with more subtlety, whereas the gold brass buttons "stick out like a sore thumb," as Donovan said.

Image Image
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I think when I get another LC jacket I'll make sure they are brass. It's a strong feature that makes the jacket distinctively LC. Personal choice I guess.
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

I asked for everything as screen accurate as the original.. so the original has brass.. so therefore mine has too.. i can then darken this just like they did if I want to ..to make it like the one on screen
Obersalzberg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Obersalzberg »

Either way your jacket looks great, waiting for it to arrive is the hardest part. But worth it. :TOH:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

xmasters wrote:
I think when I get another LC jacket I'll make sure they are brass. It's a strong feature that makes the jacket distinctively LC. Personal choice I guess.
Antique brass IMO, otherwise they're a bit spangly! :)

I've always been pleased that the ones on my early jacket seem to match right down to the machine mark. (I noticed it on one pic once but haven't been able to find it since!) :)

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Really nice jacket, pdraycott! Amazing attention to detail, Diego.
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

Received my jacket today.. really pleased with it. Very good fit ... distressing is spot on and a very well made jacket. I wish I had been able to get a raiders one from them in the merino as I bet they were fantastic. I would definitely recommend this jacket ... not the cheapest but worth the money.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

FYI, the snaps used on the film jacket were brass but certainly not gold finish and the snaps used on the pictured jacket are not the correct.

Instead of being blackened, they were sanded by the film crew during the distressing so that's why some brass color (gold) shows through from underneath.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

Allow me to add my two cents, the snaps on the jacket are brass as Afalzon mentioned, however, what I believe Diego from Steele & Jones means by "gold" is the color of the snap in its original form, a shiny gold color. These snaps were gold and not an aged brass. The blackening agent will not cause oxidation on aged brass snaps because the metal is pre treated and has a layer over the surface of the aged snap. An untreated brass snap, reacts perfectly with the chemical agent, and allows you to control the level of darkness you desire. The snaps on the L.C jacket are evenly darkened, but has some scuff marks from sanding being done to the storm flap while it was distressed. The snaps have not been sanded prior to the chemical treatment. If the snap is sanded to the base brass, and then an agent applied, you will see sanding marks on the snap head, or texture caused by this friction. The screen snaps are smooth with no texture minus the scuff from sanding the storm flap. Hope this helps.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

The real question here is whether the late Peter Botwright used gold finish snaps (this color)

or used antiqued snaps like this color

since they were available from the brand that made them and it's logical to assume he was using them also on every other leather was getting out of his shop as they are a better match to the brown leather than the shiny gold snaps.

Don't let the word brass confuse you. They are all brass, even these ones are brass

but their finish is nickel.
(That said, we use the stainless steel type on our Brando jacket).

At Bill Kelso, we believe he used the antique finish snaps and those are what we've seen in the original jacket.

To close my remark, please note we have a stock of the correct color snaps as they appear on screen made by the same company as used in the film jacket. For your info also, that company is long closed now so these snaps are no longer available anywhere.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

afalzon wrote: To close my remark, please note we have a stock of the correct color snaps as they appear on screen made by the same company as used in the film jacket. For your info also, that company is long closed now so these snaps are no longer available anywhere.
That's great. Happy for you.

We have the same original snaps, and zipper also.
Same brand as on the original LC jackets.

Looking foward to see your finished new product! :TOH:
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

That's great for you too.
You may have the same zipper (that's the easy part) but for the snaps, please allow me to seriously doubt.

When our version is complete, I will point out the differences that we see in yours.
Nevertheless, yours is still a great product and the best so far.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

afalzon wrote:
That's great for you too.
You may have the same zipper (that's the easy part) but for the snaps, please allow me to seriously doubt.

When our version is complete, I will point out the differences that we see in yours.
Nevertheless, yours is still a great product and the best so far.
Please, be my guest. Let's do a comparison test.

We are always open to constructive criticism and feedback. That's the only way to improve our products.

This is going to be so much fun!!!
Good luck!
Cheers.-
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

teaser here
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=68733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;