Alden Repair Question

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Capt. Blumburtt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Alden Repair Question

Post by Capt. Blumburtt »

Hello everyone,

Probably a quick question for you all. I've been walking around Tokyo for vacation the past few days and noticed that my right Alden 405 is starting to separate from the sole at the bend of the boot. Do you think this is something to have a cobbler address when I get back or simply mend it myself with some shoe glue or something? Thanks for your help!

[img][IMG]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m544/jrohrba88/IMG_5748.jpg[/img][/img]
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Alden Repair Question

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

I would search out a cobbler. Please don't glue it. Better to pay for a proper repair than ruin a shoe with glue.
Capt. Blumburtt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Woodsrunner79 wrote:I would search out a cobbler. Please don't glue it. Better to pay for a proper repair than ruin a shoe with glue.
Thank you! I'll do that. I have a good cobbler not too far from my home. Probably not a major issue I assume
michael
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by michael »

Capt. Blumburtt wrote:
Woodsrunner79 wrote:I would search out a cobbler. Please don't glue it. Better to pay for a proper repair than ruin a shoe with glue.
Thank you! I'll do that. I have a good cobbler not too far from my home. Probably not a major issue I assume
If you’ve had the shoes for awhile, you may also want to consider just having Alden do a renovation. It’s an easy process. Either way you’ll be good to go.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Ooh, I didn’t know Alden did renovations. Do you happen to know what they charge?
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Mulceber wrote:Ooh, I didn’t know Alden did renovations. Do you happen to know what they charge?

$169.00 which includes shipping both ways.

But for that you get them back completely resoled and repaired, although I have heard that they will not renovate the uppers on a pair of Indy boots unless you ask. I assume they received complaints from people who had spent years getting them to look well used who didn't like the idea of starting over.
Capt. Blumburtt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

michael wrote:
Capt. Blumburtt wrote:
If you’ve had the shoes for awhile, you may also want to consider just having Alden do a renovation. It’s an easy process. Either way you’ll be good to go.
As an update here:

I actually ended up sending them back to Alden. My trusted cobbler said the stitching was becoming loose and if he tried to fix that, then another part would loosen. Though I know he could just resole them, he said this shouldn't be happening to an expensive pair of boots like these after wearing for only 1 year (mostly just on weekends). So he recommended I contact Alden directly. After doing so, they got right back to me say that from the pics, it appeared to be a factory fault as the main issue. They sent me a return back the next day and I mailed them out on the 11th...though apparently they have not received them yet. So now I'm worried they got lost in the mail as its not far from Pennsylvania to New England. But hopefully this will all work out as the representative said there would be no charge if this was a factory fault. I had a lot of saving up to do to get these boots and I would hate to sink another $165 into an already very expensive boot. Fingers crossed...

I'll send an update then when this gets resolved. Thanks for the help everyone!
michael
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by michael »

Capt. Blumburtt wrote:
michael wrote:
Capt. Blumburtt wrote:
As an update here:

I actually ended up sending them back to Alden. My trusted cobbler said the stitching was becoming loose and if he tried to fix that, then another part would loosen. Though I know he could just resole them, he said this shouldn't be happening to an expensive pair of boots like these after wearing for only 1 year (mostly just on weekends). So he recommended I contact Alden directly. After doing so, they got right back to me say that from the pics, it appeared to be a factory fault as the main issue. They sent me a return back the next day and I mailed them out on the 11th...though apparently they have not received them yet. So now I'm worried they got lost in the mail as its not far from Pennsylvania to New England. But hopefully this will all work out as the representative said there would be no charge if this was a factory fault. I had a lot of saving up to do to get these boots and I would hate to sink another $165 into an already very expensive boot. Fingers crossed...

I'll send an update then when this gets resolved. Thanks for the help everyone!
I’m sure they’ll take good care of you. And your cobbler is right, with only sporadic wear they should be nearly new (other than the heels) after just a year.
Capt. Blumburtt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Boots arrived back to the factory safe and sound and should just be until the end of May for them to be finished. Phew, I'm just happy they made it. Must've been a miscommunication. I'll post some pics then of the repairs once in hand.