Ordering Advice for First Raiders Jacket from Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Ordering Advice for First Raiders Jacket from Wested

Post by Zaphod »

I am new to the forums and am ordering my first Indy jacket. I am putting together a Raiders costume and am looking for a Raiders jacket that I can use for the costume but also as an everyday coat. After looking at the options and my budget, I have decided on the
Authentic "Indiana Jones" Raiders of Lost Ark Leather Jacket in Brown Lambskin (STANDARD STOCK SIZE). I have taken my measurements and measurements from a current Lambskin jacket (non Indiana Jones jacket) and it looks like the 44 size will work. Given all the stories on the forum about custom Wested jackets, I don't feel comfortable ordering a custom jacket that might not fit and I can't exchange.

A few questions for those that have bought these in the past.

1. What is the standard fit like for this jacket? I am looking for something this is not tight fitting but is also not baggy. The description seems like it will be in between which is good. Any first hand experience on this? I don't know if this is relevant but I am 6 feet tall with a medium build.

2. I am nervous about distressing the jacket myself with sandpaper etc. Wested offers distressd versions of the jacket. Are there any big downsides to getting a distressed version from them? It does not have to be 100% screen accurate but I don't want it to look bad.

3. Any other advice on ordering a standard jacket from them?

Thanks for your help!
Holt
Craftsman

Re: Ordering Advice for First Raiders Jacket from Wested

Post by Holt »

Hey there. Welcome to the forum :TOH:

It looks like your a simliar build like me. Im 6.2 size 44.

If your looking for something not too tight and not too baggy either, I would recommend the off the rack standard lambskin Raiders jacket for your first time jacket. Its not super screen accurate but its a really great all around Raiders jacket.

The hero raiders jacket is much more screen accurate to the one Ford wears in the film But it has a tighter fit in the arms and has a very weird fit in the shoulders making the back fall longer down then you might want. If you are not experienced with these jackets? I recommend the standard off the rack.

For distressing. Zip the jacket up. Hot shower until mid damp/wet. Roll it up, step on it and wear until dry. The drag it thru the gravel and dirt. That will do wonders for the jacket.

I know you probably wil be very scared for doing so with a brand new jacket. But trust me. Been doing it for ten years now. It wont hurt the jacket. ;)

:TOH:
pdraycott
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pdraycott »

I just ordered my normal size in this jacket and it fitted well.
I distressed mine using a green scouring sponge , water and some fairy liquid. Someone in the forums recommended this way and it worked well. Just start slowly and take your time as the distressing doesn’t show up as much until it’s dry.
On receiving my jacket and trying it on I immediately wished I had bought the hero one...which I then did and am very pleased with the hero jacket..much better jacket in my opinion.. So if you can afford it I would get the hero version.
Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Zaphod »

Thank you for the helpful advice. I greatly appreciate it.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I've got a standard Raiders in goat skin and it's also my first, and so far, only Indy jacket. I too gave it a shower to take out the shine. When it was later soaked in a rainstorm, I rolled it up and left it in my locker at work until the end of the day. After a couple of days of this, it was getting real character.
However, when the rain really came down and I got soaked through I put my jacket in the tumble dryer. DON'T! I was very lucky that my jacket wasn't ruined, although it did distress it quite nicely and shrunk it slightly. Don't be tempted to try the tumble dryer though, I really was lucky it wasn't wrecked.
I'm very pleased with my jacket and I wear it almost every day. However, I think it's just a touch long in the back, so if I get another, it'll be the hero.
Finally, my advice is listen to Holt, he really knows his stuff!

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk
Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Zaphod »

I took Holts advice and got the Standard Raiders in Lambskin. The shipping was fast. I got it today and am very happy with it. I think it fits great. :lol: Now time to break it in.

I also got the Wested Indy boots. They look great to me. I wore them tonight and they fit well.

Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to trying out the milder forms of distressing to start out with.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

The search for the Jacket is the search for the divine in all of us.
But if you want facts, Zaphod, I've none to give you.
At my age, I'm prepared to take a few things on faith. ...

just ask yourself? ... what would Holt do? lol!
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

Zaphod wrote:I took Holts advice and got the Standard Raiders in Lambskin. The shipping was fast. I got it today and am very happy with it. I think it fits great. :lol: Now time to break it in.

I also got the Wested Indy boots. They look great to me. I wore them tonight and they fit well.

Thanks for all the advice. I look forward to trying out the milder forms of distressing to start out with.
Hi Zaphod,
How is the colour looking on your Standard Raiders? I am considering ordering the same as a first jacket, but I can't make up my mind between the lambskin and the goatskin. I understand from Wested's leather guide that their goatskin has more of the darkgrey-brown colour of the film jackets, but I understand that may not be true anymore due to different bundles this year. Thanks for any help!
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

The Character wrote:The search for the Jacket is the search for the divine in all of us.

Brilliant quote ... =)
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I just picked up an OTR Raiders jacket in Washed Lamb from Wested today. Because they are offering that leather in stock sizing for their 'Raiders' jacket. I noticed a couple of things that have changed on their OTR Raiders pattern that bring it closer to the Hero pattern they offer. Just a couple of details. The misaligned shoulder/arm seam was present on the jacket (instead of being a joined line), and the pocket flaps were more scalloped/rounded, It still has the brass zip with facings, and D-Rings though (and no gussets).
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

xmasters wrote:I just picked up an OTR Raiders jacket in Washed Lamb from Wested today. Because they are offering that leather in stock sizing for their 'Raiders' jacket. I noticed a couple of things that have changed on their OTR Raiders pattern that bring it closer to the Hero pattern they offer. Just a couple of details. The misaligned shoulder/arm seam was present on the jacket (instead of being a joined line), and the pocket flaps were more scalloped/rounded, It still has the brass zip with facings, and D-Rings though (and no gussets).
Good to know, how is the colour and grain of the Washed Lambskin? Any pictures you would be willing to post? I am considering going for an OTR Raiders as well andwas leaning towards the Authentic Lamb or the Goatskin because I figured the colour is darker.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Yeah If I can get some good pictures in daylight I'll post them. It's a good premium quality leather. A rich deep dark brown, the texture is not overdone but enough to show character on the jacket when the light catches it.
Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Zaphod »

The regular lamb I got has a dark brown color that looks similar to the movie color sans the weathering. Hope that helps.
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

Thanks folks! For those that might be interested, I emailed Wested and they advised that the Washed Lambskin is darker than the current brown lambskin. There are also jackets in last year's very dark goatskin still available in select sizes.
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

xmasters wrote:Yeah If I can get some good pictures in daylight I'll post them. It's a good premium quality leather. A rich deep dark brown, the texture is not overdone but enough to show character on the jacket when the light catches it.
I ended up ordering a OTR Raiders jacket in Washed Lambskin and I'm really happy with it as well. The colour is great and dark. The texture is also really nice. It gives the leather nice character like the striated lambskin did for the film jackets. There are also no quality control issues with my jacket, which I know can be an issue with Wested sometimes. I'm really happy with it and I think it is a great value as a first time Indy jacket (which it is for me). :D

Has anyone tried any of the usual distressing/breaking in tactics (eg. hot shower, sleeping in it, etc.) with the Washed Lambskin? Are they necessary with this type of skin? (I don't find my jacket very shiny.)
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Just received my new Wested Raiders in the washed lamb .. its fantastic. I ordered a size down as i find they come up a little large and the fit is perfect for me and still roomy.

I hit it with hot water in the shower straight off let it drip then put it on damp .. wearing it damp just immediately seems to transform it from new to' Indy-esque'. Also the leather grain has come up nicely and I've got some great wrinkling on the sleeves .. its a superb jacket and i agree with you the colour is very nice. I think the washed lamb is one of the nicest I've had in a wested and I've had a few ..

since its been a few days now i notice since its wash in the shower the jacket is really holding it shape .. this may go some way to explaining why the jackets are so identifiable onscreen ,.. each jacket has a series of quite identifiable markings be they in the skin or in the creases, folds and bends .. it seems perfectly feasible that you could, using this skin, emulate a lot of the screen used jackets more obvious specifics by tweeking and moulding the jacket to match ...

its just an observation .... as i say after a few days wear but I've never had a Wested thats shown this particular property before .. the standard skins tend to fall back into a fairly neutral drape .. this washed lamb really does hold its shape well .. I'm surprised and quite pleased i have to say .. three days in and this new Wested Raiders jacket is now top of my collection .. i usually add distressing and various techniques to my jackets straight away to get them to look the part but this one is knocking it out the park from the start.

back on topic - i ordered longer sleeves and a slightly longer back. I also ordered a size down. i do feel having had a few over the years that Wested's do come up big in general, so if you want a nice fitting jacket over a shirt order a size down IMHO (especially if its a Hero) but if you're gonna wear pullovers etc under it then stick t the correct sizing ..
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

I'm so happy with my Washed Lambskin Standard Raiders from Wested, that I kind of what to take the plunge and get a Hero in the same skin. However, the Washed Lambskin has disappeared from Wested's website. Is the skin no longer carried?

Second, any advice on sizing for the Hero vs the Standard? I know that the oversize shoulders and the way the back hangs off the back of the neck means that the sleeve and back lengths should be shorter to get the same lengths on the body. The question is how much? I got a 42 regular in the standard which fits generally well. I'm 6 foot, 180 lb, with broad shoulders (I feel like the Hero would actually be a great fit for my body type). The length on the body was just right on the standard (hits a couple inches below the waist on traditional rise pants), but the sleeves were a touch shorter than I would prefer after breaking in (but still acceptable). Thanks for any help! :TOH:
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

you need to check out Steele and jones. a little more money, but a lot more jacket.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Jeremiah wrote:you need to check out Steele and jones. a little more money, but a lot more jacket.
+1 on that. I’ve never seen a review for them that was less than stellar, and they’re a pair of really nice guys.
Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

I will chime in and say I totally agree with the fact Steele & Jones makes an amazingly accurate jacket especially the Last Crusade (wink wink). So if you save up a bit more, you won’t be disappointed, plus it’s ready to go right out of the box.

But if you go the Wested route, I would send more accurate buckles for the side strap and request a shorter length on the strap such as 7.5 inches as opposed to the 9.5 inches currently on the Hero Raider’s Jacket.

Here is a comparison as a reference. A friend who was on a very tight budget but still wanted an accurate Raider’s jacket wanted help with his order of jacket from Wested and I did a comparison of buckles to choose from and ultimately he sent Wested gunmetal hardware and buckles and lining. The jacket turned out really nice, especially because the gunmetal matched the nickel zipper better than the antique brass. It’s hard to tell from the picture because of the flash but the buckle is gunmetal. Getting a new jacket or any piece of gear is always exciting and so good luck and wear it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

Jeremiah wrote:you need to check out Steele and jones. a little more money, but a lot more jacket.
Oh I have, as soon as they offer the Ribby Merino again, I'll be grabbing one. I'm just personally not a fan of horsehide (my mother who had rescue horses would murder me) or how it looks, so they are not an option for me at the moment. They were my first choice for a jacket actually.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

CatManDoo88 wrote:
Oh I have, as soon as they offer the Ribby Merino again, I'll be grabbing one. I'm just personally not a fan of horsehide (my mother who had rescue horses would murder me) or how it looks, so they are not an option for me at the moment. They were my first choice for a jacket actually.
I'm actually in exactly the same boat (mother with rescue horses that would murder me), so that decision makes a lot of sense to me. It's actually made my attempts to shop around for an A-2 jacket difficult, since most of the good makers only offer horsehide, and almost all of the ones on ebay are horsehide as well.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I see your points, most women would be not like the idea of Horsehide. Girls like horses. I would have to lie to avoid being dumped.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

You guys are missing out on a great hide of leather. Tough as nails and not all Horsehide has to be stiff as cordovan. I have a Bill Kelso A2 in Victory Horsehide that is the softest leather I have every handled on a jacket, yet it also feels like it could stand up to a hurricane. it's also draping magnificently after breaking it in over the last week and a half.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Brand New Wested 'Raiders' in the Washed lamb ... very nice.
the colour is fantastic and it really holds its shape well. has a bit more heft to it than the standard lamb...
I really like this leather ..my favourite jacket now

Stefan Hills
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Stefan Hills »

The Character wrote:Brand New Wested 'Raiders' in the Washed lamb ... very nice.
the colour is fantastic and it really holds its shape well. has a bit more heft to it than the standard lamb...
I really like this leather ..my favourite jacket now

I take it you washed the washed lamb? :lol: Congrats.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The washed lamb is indeed a very nice leather. Shame they seem to have run out of it at the moment.
CatManDoo88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CatManDoo88 »

xmasters wrote:The washed lamb is indeed a very nice leather. Shame they seem to have run out of it at the moment.
Yeah, I also gave mine the hot shower treatment as well and it looks very similar to The Character's now. The colour is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. It's a nice cool brown and and can give that black/charcoal impression under certain lighting like the Tanis jackets do in the film.

I asked Wested about when they might have some more Washed Lambskin in stock and they advised they would have it back in stock in a month or so. I'm definitely going to go for a Hero in the skin provided the new bundles look the same. I just need help figuring out the sizing.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

The Character wrote:The search for the Jacket is the search for the divine in all of us.

I've been following this thread with great interest, although my situation is a bit different. I bought a like-new Wested Raiders Hero (40R) in regular brown lamb from a fellow COW member several weeks ago. He was told that it was circa 2010, which agrees with the 40R dimensions, labeling (regular "Wested Leather Co."), and features of that vintage (cotton lining, #5 nickel zip, no zip facing, D-rings, unscalloped flaps, smallish pockets). Great fit through the torso, nice drape, but lacking in character. Plus, like a lot of Hero wearers, I found it hung long in the back (which I like), and in the sleeves (which I didn't).

So I took it on faith, and gave it the Holt treatment. Wore it around the house for a week, had the sleeves professionally altered, then into the hot shower. Rolled it up umpteen different ways, sat on it, wore it dry with the sleeves pushed up past my elbows, and did the Holt trick with the wet flaps, carefully but firmly stretching them into a proper scalloped shape.
The result is a very nice street-worthy jacket, not new-looking, but barely broken-in. The grain emerged a bit after the shower treatment, but the color is quite uniform at this point since there's no wear pattern, and I'm not into distressing. I'll just look for excuses to give it a workout. It's exactly what I want at this point. :D
My point is, without the expertise and experience of you folks, I would not have had the knowledge *or* the courage to literally take the plunge. :TOH:
I especially like that it's old enough that it may well have passed through Peter's legendary hands. Question: based on my description, am I justified in that assumption? :-k
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

You'll never know for certain but id say there's a very good chance .. from what I've seen over the years with wested Peter was quite hands on as he ran everything so id say its safe to assume that its quite likely he was involved in its making .. or that at least as you say it passed through his hands ..

The 'Hero' is an odd jacket to be sure i hated mine at first for the exact reasons you mention, it really 'slops' off the shoulders and feels quite oversized ... but actually i now love it as an alternative, on occasion. Its an easy wearing jacket and allows for a lot more movement ..

As to distressing use it ... hot shower .. tumble dryer for 10 minutes ,... wear wet and then use it in the rain, for jobs in the yard, or when doing a bit of construction or carry and you'll age it up nicely ... I think it has good points and i'd never give mine up now .. so i have my Raiders washed lamb .. Hero in standard lamb and ToD in a Goatskin which is fabulous ...
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Hi all

Got an email today from Wested confirming the washed lamb is back in stock. probably worth checking if its currently still there 'darkest' of the leathers (Goat, shrunken lamb and washed lamb) but at least its now there and i personally cant recommend it highly enough

Al
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

The washed Lamb hide looks absolutely fabulous even better that my Hero in shrunken lamb I may even say, great looking Raiders, wear it well.
Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Zaphod »

After roughly a year, I am about to order my second jacket. I like my first Wested standard Raiders in lamb. However I got in shape and lost 35 pounds. I am 6 feet tall and now weigh 177 lbs. My size 44 jacket is too big. So I am looking to order a size 42 Raiders in washed lamb. I wear a 42 Long so I have go with a custom jacket due to the length and sleeves.

I am thinking about adding the following requests to make it “more” accurate including the scalloped hero pockets, gussets and buckle and x box stitch. Are there any downsides to adding these? Do the gussets change the fit? I thought I read that some thought it made it more baggy? I also considered just ordering the Hero but given the mixed feedback on the fit, I thought it best to go with the custom Raiders since I liked the fit of the standard Raiders. Any thoughts are appreciated.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Personally I'd go with the custom Raiders (as in custom made but to the standard) off the shelf look rather than the hero .. the hero hangs off the shoulder (a lot) and if you've lost the weight the Hero will likely feel as slack or slacker on than your original jacket which i think will disappoint you as thats the way its designed ..

My Raiders and ToD were both ordered online using the custom jacket option in the washed lamb ...

Al
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

I am also a 44 and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a standard off the rack Raiders Lamb from Wested. It’s a perfect fit. Excuse the Dirty mirror.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Looks good!

If you know me, you'd know my opinion of Wested...

But for a starter jacket to introduce you to this wonderful and wild world of leather film wear? Absolutely a good choice. When I got into this hobby over a decade ago, I wore mine religiously for months. Good times and good memories.

Just remember that Wested has a very low bar once you're ready to upgrade. Don't make the same mistake as me and order a dozen or so trying to find that perfect one when another company can so easily fill that niche. ;)

With that in mind, I'd personally recommend going off the rack for a starter Wested. If you went custom, they'd ignore half your measurements and requests anyway.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

My two cent, Steele & Jones.
I have a Wested hero, fits fine and I’ll never part ways, I can always say I have a Wested.
But I’ll never take a chance on another.

Croft :mrgreen:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

You and me both.