Casual Everyday Gear

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Casual Everyday Gear

Post by IndyFan89 »

Hey folks, I’m looking for some tips on where I can find vintage (possibly distressed) adventure/WW2 gear (shirts/pants/belts/jewelry/ect) for everyday wear that’s not specifically Indy but inspired by him. I noticed Jason Mamoa and his clothing he gets from Made Worn on instagram. Although the made worn stuff is beautifully distressed, it’s a bit too western and/or metal for me. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Casual Everyday Gear

Post by distantpeople »

What about trying some of the better WWII reenactor suppliers and perhaps distress yourself?

https://www.wwiiimpressions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://atthefront.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

distantpeople wrote:What about trying some of the better WWII reenactor suppliers and perhaps distress yourself?

https://www.wwiiimpressions.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://atthefront.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, I’ll take a look!

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Online auctions, thrift stores, army-navy surplus stores all will have stuff that falls into what you described. Much of the stuff will either have a level of natural distressing or you can work on yourself.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

You may also find some inspiration here:

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Yep. http://www.atthefront.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is my staple for that sort of stuff. In fact I had a box arrive today. I wear my Fleece Lined Tanker Jacket pretty much every day. They have great stuff and Gina in their customer service department is such a great lady, and will answer any questions you might have!

Today’s spoils:

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 23beae.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I feel like I used to see allot more adventure/safari style clothing in stores like JC Penny or Macy’s but anymore I don’t see much of it. I’d kill for a linen indy shirt.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

IndyFan89 wrote:I feel like I used to see allot more adventure/safari style clothing in stores like JC Penny or Macy’s but anymore I don’t see much of it. I’d kill for a linen indy shirt.

Agreed. You should have good luck at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or maybe a Sportsman’s Warehouse. I can usually find safari type shirts in there. Especially since it’s getting closer to spring I’ve noticed the fly fishing shirts are out now and that’s typically when I can find the safari shirts. Good luck!

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

ChrisMD wrote:
IndyFan89 wrote:I feel like I used to see allot more adventure/safari style clothing in stores like JC Penny or Macy’s but anymore I don’t see much of it. I’d kill for a linen indy shirt.

Agreed. You should have good luck at Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or maybe a Sportsman’s Warehouse. I can usually find safari type shirts in there. Especially since it’s getting closer to spring I’ve noticed the fly fishing shirts are out now and that’s typically when I can find the safari shirts. Good luck!

Heading to Bass pro today!

cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I’ve bought quite a few safari-style shirts by Mossimo at Target. Decent shirts for <$20.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sportsman Guide also has many options along these lines including surplus military items from around the world.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 9c50fb.jpg[/img]

Linen safari shirt from Cremieux
I found on eBay.

davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

IndyFan89 wrote:I feel like I used to see a lot more adventure/safari style clothing in stores like JC Penny or Macy’s but anymore I don’t see much of it.
Coincidentally, I recently read an interesting book about that very topic: Wild Company by Mel & Patricia Ziegler, the founders of the Banana Republic chain of clothing stores.

I don't know if many people remember anymore, but for the first several years in the 1980s, Banana Republic was a "safari and travel" themed store that even carried military surplus items. The book traces the rise of Banana Republic from a small-scale surplus store to a nationwide chain, and its purchase by The Gap and its sad descent into being just another bland "fashions for the upscale professional" brand with no trace of its olive drab and khaki origins.

As to what you're looking for, I just received an Orvis.com catalog. Take a look at their web site, they have some good stuff!

DuluthTrading.com is another classic outdoor gear retailer.

LLBean.com used to be a good source, but their offerings are trending kind of "yuppie" these days, IMHO.

The best gear catalog in the history of ever, right up there with the classic era of Banana Republic, was Willis & Geiger, but they're long gone, having been bought out and then liquidated by Lands End. W&G stuff still shows up on eBay from time to time.

The J. Peterman Company (jpeterman.com) occasionally offers a few good pieces in the spirit of Willis & Geiger and classic Banana Republic.

As for distressing, whatever you buy, buy it new and then wear it while you're mowing the lawn or changing the oil on your car or cleaning out the garage or attic. Go for a hike in the rain, or when it's really hot and dusty. That'll distress your gear realistically.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Orvis has some cool stuff! Did anyone ever do a run of Indy shirts in linen or am I mistaken?

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Davidd, I just ordered a copy of Wild Company. Thanks for the rec.

Since we're waxing nostalgic about the original Banana Republic (RIP), here's an entire site dedicated to just that. Has all of the catalogs page by page as far as I can tell:
http://www.secretfanbase.com/banana/his ... c-history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And speaking of nationwide retail no longer identifiable by its much more adventurous roots, who can forget the original Pier 1 Imports. My mom bought me my very first Mexican-made leather bullwhip there sometime around 1984. :cry: :)
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

LL Bean has some great safari-style Field Shirts in khaki, green and blue.
Also their sunwashed canvas shirts in many colors.
They're both sturdy and wash well.
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Cajunkraut wrote:Davidd, I just ordered a copy of Wild Company. Thanks for the rec.

And speaking of nationwide retail no longer identifiable by its much more adventurous roots, who can forget the original Pier 1 Imports. My mom bought me my very first Mexican-made leather bullwhip there sometime around 1984.
I hope you enjoy the book. It's a breezy, fun read. I found my copy used through Amazon. The web site you linked to inspired me to track down the book.

Yeah, Pier 1 used to be so cool when I was a kid! They had swords just kind of laying around; I'm sure they were cheap decorative reproductions, but they looked real, and ancient! Lots of cool "tiki style" wicker furniture, too! And mosquito netting! I wanted to build a room filled with "Mombasa mosquito netting" when I grew up. Still haven't done that, but I don't think Pier 1 carries "Mombasa mosquito netting" anymore.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

davidd wrote:Still haven't done that, but I don't think Pier 1 carries "Mombasa mosquito netting" anymore.
Nope, not unless it's the latest home decor trend. That place used to be so cool. It was like an indoor Marrakesh market.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Casual Everyday Gear

Post by cm289 »

davidd wrote:Yeah, Pier 1 used to be so cool when I was a kid!
Yes it was- I bought this 10x12 faux-antique photo at Pier 1 in ‘83 or so.
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201801 ... 3032c0.jpg[/img]

Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

You might find something you like here: https://www.tagsafari.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

cm289 wrote: Yes it was- I bought this 10x12 faux-antique photo at Pier 1 in ‘83 or so.
I'm not sure why the photo is showing up as a link rather than an embedded photo, but I pasted the link into my browser. Neat pic! Love the sepia tone! That was really from Pier 1? Yeah, that was a cool store!
Bigfoot wrote:You might find something you like here: https://www.tagsafari.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ooh! Looks like a good site to peruse! Thanks for the post!
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Yup, I bought that one and one of Lucille Ball from her I Love Lucy days, done in the same style. I remember they had a spinning rack full of sepia tone actors from the 40s/50s