Wested LC Hero jacket!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

whipwarrior

Re: Wested LC Hero jacket!

Post by whipwarrior »

Standard or predistressed cow is also an option. That stuff is pretty thick and strong, but distresses nicely, if you are so inclined. Just be sure to specify that you want black lining when you order, otherwise you'll get dark brown fabric by default. I still don't know how they dropped the ball on that detail, after all the photos I sent. ](*,)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yea, saw that. There are several things that stand out as not accurate with this jacket. I mean, my personal opinion is that its a good looking and all. Just not what I expected it to be from looking at the pictures people post.

The pros. They got the hem and back armseam finally correct. Single stiched shoulders. I love the color of the skin. The collar width looks good with nice round tips. Stormflap looks good to.

The cons. The pocket flaps look really odd. Brown lining. Triangular inside pocket. The snaps are brass colored. (they should be dark.) The D rings are way to robust and thick. The straps should have a fold over anchoring, not a small box. The back panel looks tapered. It should be a square panel. And it does not have the askew/ off center pockets. That is one of the KEY features of the LC jacket and which I personally love the most.

Im not being negative here. Just honest from looking at the picutres.

Still good looking jacket tho. :TOH:
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

So, the conclusion is "it's still better than nothing"
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

No conclusion because I don't have it in hand and can not feel it and wear it. Just looking at the pictures. :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It's the most accurate standard production LC to date, but a few details need tweaking.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Absolutley. :TOH: Im glad its finally here. Its been a long journey!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

whipwarrior wrote:Standard or predistressed cow is also an option. That stuff is pretty thick and strong, but distresses nicely, if you are so inclined. Just be sure to specify that you want black lining when you order, otherwise you'll get dark brown fabric by default. I still don't know how they dropped the ball on that detail, after all the photos I sent. ](*,)
I'm a fan of the heavy black cotton liner, I have that on many of my jackets. But the LC is a very dark brown satin. Not black. ;) The one they have used is darker than the standard but it still looks to light in the photos I've seen, It looked pretty good in person.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I wonder if they are going to release the version with the regular skins. The facebook post said it would up be on the website last Saturday week, but it never appeared.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

same here. But I am more worried about the quality of their jacket is going to decrease after peter's gone, even though Wested is never been famous for their workmanship
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I think Wested will soldier on, even though Peter was their quality control guy. As an established brand with worldwide recognition, the staff has made a career in the leather garment biz. They have a nice, posh job manufacturing jackets, and Wested is probably like a second home to the workers, who have spent most of their lives there. Unless they decide to hang it up and seek out employment elsewhere, I don't see The Barn shutting its doors anytime soon.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I've seen the number 01 Last Crusade Hero, limited edition wested jacket from this run and the pocket flaps do look a bit more like they should. Obviously a quality control thing. Yours look a bit more pointy and like the Raiders Hero jacket. Luck of the draw I guess.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I believe Sally is competent because she worked alongside Peter over the years. The reins are in her hands now, so we will see how she handles the company. I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt on the first batch of LC Hero’s because it’s been a hectic few months at the Barn following Peter’s passing. That really took the wind out of their sails. Once they get back on course, the jacket issues will hopefully be corrected. Let’s wait and see what happens.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I would love to see this jackets on people soon :TOH: Post'em up and lets see the fit.
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Hello Guys, some pics of my Wested LC Hero Jacket NZ lambskin:

Wested LC Hero without flash

With flash.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Nice jacket. Perfect raiders skin!

Enjoy it :TOH:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I’ve decided to order one in novapelle next month - a birthday present to myself. :D
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Holt wrote:Nice jacket. Perfect raiders skin!

Enjoy it :TOH:
Thanks!!.
In my opinion this skin is too thick for Raiders Jacket. Maybe color and grain, but the fall on the body and folds in the arms is not correct for a Raiders (there is appreciated that the skin is not as thin as on the screen). It's in the middle of Raiders skin and LC.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It looks brand new though. You've gotta jump up and down on it a few times.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

xmasters wrote:It looks brand new though. You've gotta jump up and down on it a few times.
Where is the #### 'Like" button!
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

xmasters wrote:It looks brand new though. You've gotta jump up and down on it a few times.
The photos was taken 1 min just out of DHL bag ;)
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Where are the pics of you guys wearing these new LC jackets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The LC Hero is now available in various skins: https://www.wested.com/last-crusade-her ... 4023-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My order is placed! I'll post a full review w/ pics as soon as it arrives! :D
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I see they are offering two inside pocket styles.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

can anybody post the pit to pit and shoulder measurement of size 42 and 44? thanks
IndyAl
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyAl »

Hammerklavier wrote:can anybody post the pit to pit and shoulder measurement of size 42 and 44? thanks
My jacket is size 40. The measures pit to pit is 22,5 inches. I hope it serves as an orientation.

Pd: I have some photos with my smartphone. This way fit the jacket, much better than the standard version .. in my opinion.

xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Thanks for posting pics of the jacket being worn. Yes I like the look of it. Good job.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by senorjacob »

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

that's a great looking jacket!
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

THIS !!! is the adventurer killer look ... Congrats =)
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

That’s looks awesome IndyAl. Best look out of a Last Crusade jacket I’ve seen. Really cool. Are you going to allow it to naturally distress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The LC Hero novapelle is a WORLD apart from the limited edition NZL of last December. This is how an Indiana Jones jacket is supposed to feel: heavy, rugged, and thick. I can confidently say that Wested has the screen-accurate LC pattern firmly locked. The collar size & shape are correctly proportioned, as is the crucially important pocket shape. The flaps are beautifully scalloped, with exactly the right amount of curve and pocket coverage ratio. The thick, buttery soft novapelle has a lovely glow and gorgeous texture, characterized by sections of pebbled 'dino skin' which give the jacket a truly vintage aesthetic, while the antique brass snaps nicely contrast the dark leather tone. The substantial weight drapes comfortably and truly feels like an adventure worthy garment, ready for any crusade.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the jacket, which is about 98% perfect in terms of size, drape, leather, and pattern. The other 2% lacking consists of several details I specified which were ignored: black lining, Leather Concessionnaires label, black anodized snaps, and piped inner pocket (which I selected on the options menu, and they STILL put the triangle pocket in!). Seriously?!

So it's a love/hate thing. The novapelle LC Hero is everything I expected it to be, however the brown lining will keep me awake at night until it is fixed. I will contact Wested and see if they are willing to rectify the situation. Meanwhile, I will enjoy breaking it in and applying some minor cosmetic distressing to enhance the details. Now, enjoy the pics!

P.S.- I believe this is the very first LC Hero manufactured in novapelle. I placed my order on the morning of January 6th - the day the Hero in various skins was made available.
Last edited by whipwarrior on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Very nice. It does look good in the novapelle. How is the weight of it compared to your much older novapelle?
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

perfect! have you weight the jacket?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

The weight feels about the same as my 2016 Raiders Hero - approx. 4 lbs. Nice and heavy! :D
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

What do you think is the best in-between novapelle and lamb? I live in California so too thick and I’m sweating, too light and I’m catching a cold. My Raiders Hero lamb is perfect for late 60’s and anything colder I’ve been wearing my Us Wings vintage cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've only experienced Wested's lamb, horse, novapelle, and predistressed cowhide. The lamb is easily the most lightweight of the bunch, suitable for cold to moderately cool weather. Indy jackets aren't really suited for spring / summer wear, because you're going to sweat regardless of what type of skin you're wearing.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, whip! Leather is simply a great wind breaker, and not an insulator against cold weather.

When it comes to that, I successfully layer under any of my lambskin jackets clear down to the low 30's F.

It's all in the layering.

So, it's easier to remove layers and enjoy your lighter weight hide jacket than owning a heavier weight jacket and having to put it away too soon in the season due TO it's extra weight.

As I've posted in a different thread, I own a fantastic horsehide Indy jacket, but due to it's physical heavy weight, I can only enjoy it when it's REALLY cold with heavy winds. I lived in it for the past couple weeks due to wind chills below zero and snow.....but as soon as things got back into the 40's, my lambskin G&B Expo came back out of the closet and is layered over a sweater.

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That looks amazing, Whip. The LC jacket lives. :whip:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks. It will look much better with some proper distressing. It looks way too new. :lol:
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

Thanks for the pics WhipWarrior ... Beautiful Jacket ... =)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I wrote to Sally at Wested, and she apologized profusely for the spec details that were overlooked on my jacket, and she agreed to fix the issues and make things right. She said it's been hectic at the Barn, and they are having staff issues. So, I'll break-in and distress the jacket for a month or so, then send it back to The Barn when spring arrives and the weather is too warm for jacket wear. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That's good news. I prefer the triangle pocket though even if it's not screen accurate, and they seem to be charging £5 extra for that. Sounds like a bargain mistake to me ;)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Somebody at Wested obviously dropped the ball, failing to notice options which I clearly selected on the order form. I'm not mad, but slightly disappointed that key details were absent in the (awesome) jacket I received. Sally promised to take care of everything expense-wise, so I will not have to pay for alterations which are clearly beyond my control. They are changing everything as I originally requested.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

whipwarrior wrote:So, I'll break-in and distress the jacket for a month or so, then send it back to The Barn when spring arrives and the weather is too warm for jacket wear. :TOH:
Just a thought, whip, you MAY want to touch bases with Sally and make sure 'breaking and distressing' is ok before sending back to the Barn for alterations, as sometimes vendors will refuse to do work on jackets that have already worn, let alone distressed.

Like I said, just a thought....

Regard! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

It’s just light distressing, highlighting the seams and edges to enhance the pattern; it gives the jacket more dimension so everything doesn’t blend together. And I did mention this to Sally, who didn’t voice a word of opposition about it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood, but you still may want to double check.

Never 'assume', especially when you're dealing with an overseas vendor, no matter WHO is it. :TOH:

Regards! M
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Any pictures of the Novapelle outside in natural light? I'm just curious how light / dark the leather actually is in comparison to other hides that I've owned. Thank you for your time & efforts!
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I received my jacket back from Wested after 3 weeks, and it is now screen accurate to my satisfaction. On my initial order, I requested black lining with a standard inside pocket, Leather Concessionaires label, and black snaps. Somehow these details fell thru the cracks, resulting in a moment of bittersweet joy when I opened the package and beheld my new favorite jacket. The outside was 99% perfect, while the inside was 100% wrong. Literally every detail I asked for, they did the exact opposite. Never had that experience before in my 20 years as a Wested customer.

The only request they wouldn't honor was changing the snaps, because the operation might "damage" the jacket. More likely, they just didn't want the hassle of doing it because it's tedious and time-consuming, added to the fact that they had to eat the cost of the re-lining process + return shipping to fix mistakes that were clearly their own fault. Fortunately, I have a supply of original jacket hardware that Peter sent me back in the day, and a button set tool which I used to change snaps on my previous Indy jackets. After 1.5-hours of careful work, I installed the black snaps exactly like the original Wested LC jackets of yesteryear.

Now, onto the glorious pics!!! :D :D :D

I'm glad to have my baby home again! :TOH:
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Will be purchasing this exact jacket later this year after seeing your posts. Love the way the NP distresses and the overall tones of the jacket. It looks like it came straight from the set. Nice jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I applied a mild version of the LC distressing which will be enhanced with natural wear from use. The jacket will look better with age, like my 10 year-old novapelle CS jacket. I used a soft, well-worn Scotchbrite pad to gently buff the surface off the leather with a minimal of damage. Novapelle has a nice warm undertone that looks great in natural light, and the skin resembles the heavy lamb used for the movie jackets. I’m sure you will love your LC Hero when it reaches your hands. :TOH: