Crusade or crystal skull

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Crusade or crystal skull

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I'm trying to decide on my next indy lid and needed some opinions. I'm wanting a penman 100% beaver read and heard lot of good things about them for has durability and not losing shape. My problem is should i get crusade or crystal skull. I have a crusade in a everyman and i like the crystal skull fedora because its a mixture of raiders and crusade which is both my favorite indy movies. Need help deciding and pictures of both hats for comparison will be great. Thanks ahead for info
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Crusade or crystal skull

Post by Mulceber »

Also keep in mind that Penman has the blocks that Steve used to make the CS hats. So, tbh, I think you have every reason to pick CS over Crusade. Unless you're feeling an itch for another Crusade hat, I say go for the CS.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

And I can testify to the penman beaver handling a lot and still going strong. I don’t worry when it’s loaded with snow or rained on. I just keep it on my head till dry. Has not tapered yet and I have worn it sometimes daily for weeks at a time. One thing though. It’s floppy. At least raiders one so it may be different for the CS or LC. Not so floppy it won’t hold brim shape, but I have grown to enjoy how floppy mine is.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have an LC Penman, which has seen rain and snow. No issues. And it's not floppy at all. Of course, with a custom hat, that's something you can discuss with the hatter.
The Crystal Skull hat is nice, and it sounds like your dream hat. Before CS existed, I had somebody make me a hat that was a deliberate cross between a Raiders and an LC. It ended up pretty close to the Crystal Skull design, and love it.

And why repeat the LC if your happy with it?
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

For what it’s worth I vote for CS as well.

Enjoy!
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Crusade and CS are pretty close in many ways. I always thought CS was the most appealing combo of Indy hat design factors. Here's my beaver/rabbit CS Harrison from Advintage (which I love) --

Image Image
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I have an LC Penman, which has seen rain and snow. No issues. And it's not floppy at all. Of course, with a custom hat, that's something you can discuss with the hatter.
The Crystal Skull hat is nice, and it sounds like your dream hat. Before CS existed, I had somebody make me a hat that was a deliberate cross between a Raiders and an LC. It ended up pretty close to the Crystal Skull design, and love it.

And why repeat the LC if your happy with it?
Good to know. Yeah must be he does the floppy with the raiders only even in beaver. At the time I requested not as floppy as the legacy but now glad I got it the way it is. It’s aged really well.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I like both as they are my favorites from the movies. I also have both in beaver from other makers. I would go with CS if I had to pick between the 2 of them.
robertapplegate
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by robertapplegate »

I really love my CS. Had it for 6 years. Highly recommend.
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

How about seeing some pictures of these CS hats
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

What size are you? I have a CS from Steve for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

7 3/8 long oval
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

FS: Indy 4 Adventurebilt by Steve Delk
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Thanks for information going to get cs. I have another question my brother loves raiders and wants a SA hat and i know the legacy collection raiders that john has is top notch but he will be wearing this hat alot like hunting and everyday use so do i get the raiders in beaver or can the high quality light weight felt that john use in the legacy collection raiders hold up. Any suggestions
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I've got an ABL on order with John, so I too would be interested in hearing people's assessments of the felt.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I have a few penman hats. Love them. I also have an ABL raiders. I am very disappointed how my brim won’t hold shape. It was like this from the beginning. Very floppy too which did not help. I know that’s SA but the hero hat probably had more of a vintage quality rabbit fur and handled it. I think I may have gotten a bad hat body though. I have made mention of it before here. Brian recently reblocked it, but front of brim still sags when I wear it and I have tried hairspray to no avail and he did put a little stiffener under the brim for me but even with steam it’s not enough to hold shape. I love the color though.

Anyway, I know others here have not had issues so I am chalking it up to a bad hat body. Other than that it’s a great hat. And even with a droopy brim I can still wear it.

Even John would advise on a Beaver felt body if you are doing everyday use though. My penman raiders in Beaver has been used and abused and it’s floppy too but holds shape like it has military grade stiffener in it.
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

How smooth and soft is the beaver felt raiders
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Mine is very soft and smooth.
I have had it a year now and wear it daily.

https://imgur.com/a/rrssG

I bashed myself which is why ribbon is closer to pinch. That pic was after a few rain drops.

Hat has seen lots of rain and snow. Just gets better and better.

This is the penman beaver felt that I refer to in this post. The one previous was rabbit.
Last edited by Jeremiah on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.A.K. Comedy Props
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by C.A.K. Comedy Props »

Don’t have an ABL so I’m not sure, but I used a clothing iron to stiffen felt so it might work for you. You could also get a hat stiffener but I don’t have any experience with that.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Crazyc2314 wrote:How smooth and soft is the beaver felt raiders
I have several more than a few Penmans. Most are beaver felt. My oldest is around 9 years old. Worn heavily and reblocked twice. It was butter soft out of the box and has only improved with age.