WPG Holster--Ooops!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

WPG Holster--Ooops!

Post by ijq8 »

I recently ordered a WPG holster and tried to distress it by soaking it in water, sanding w/ extra fine paper and then applying a healthy dose of leather treatment. Unfortunately, when sanding...probably due to the wet state of the leather, the finish on the flap came off too much (I was a bit surprised how easily, actually). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this look better.

Thanks in advance, ijq8

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: WPG Holster--Ooops!

Post by bearbeast »

Hey! I don't think that is supposed to happen, unless you rubbed quite hard... I am not sure how distressing is done, but wet leather is very easily damaged.

As a solution you could simply try to redye the leather. Other than that, I do not know...

But wait for some other opinions, I am no expert. :TOH:
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

The image isn't showing but as long as its real leather what i'd do is knock the rest of the holster back until its all fairly heavily degraded and then go at it with ordinary wax shoe polish ...

if the surface is gone thats basically it so treat it as such and it will, or should, buff up nicely and you'll end up with a piece that looks well worn 'aged'. The wax will give it a better 'resurface' than dying alone i think .. just like polishing old scuffed shoes .. they'll look great! just make sure you buff n polish like crazeee!

Dying it i suspect won't help as the unsurfaced leather will just absorb the dye like mad and probably highlight even more the difference between ok and annihilated parts

just my thoughts ...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Some caution using shoe polish on a holster. The nature of polish is it can rub off so you could end up staining your trousers or shirt.

I had an old briefcase years ago and asked a leather shop about using polish to even out some wear marks and they advised against it to avoid the transfer of color.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

Good point .... that is true ... my holster is heavily shoe polished but doesn't get as much use here in the uk .. aka no gun inside to push it against the leg and most of the polish is on the outer side ... nice catch!