R.I.P Peter Botwright

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

R.I.P Peter Botwright

Post by Holt »

It is with a heavy heart to announce that a gentlemann, our friend and a pioneer in this hobby has passed away.

Mr.Peter Botwright.

I am actually lost for words and sit here with a lump in my throat so I am going to make this short. I have known this man for many years and had great conversations with him over the phone. I will forever treasure my Last Crusade jacket we worked closely together on.

Thank you for everything Peter. Thank you for your kindness, your talent, our great conversations, your big heart and your love for our hobby.

My condolences to the family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Rest in Peace, our friend.

:cry:

Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: RIP Peter Botwright

Post by Rob »

I've just come here, after a long absence, after seeing it on Facebook. Absolutely shocked.

As I said there:

A true gentleman to deal with, and so passionate about his work in general, but will be always warmly remembered by the Indiana Jones costuming fraternity, whether at COW or beyond. Vale.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

Thank you Mr. Botwright for making a dream come true. :TOH:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

R.I.P. Peter. He was a giant in this community, and will be sorely missed.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Very sad... what a terrible Loss.

But what an incredible Legacy.
michael
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: R.I.P Peter Botwright

Post by michael »

End of an era.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Rest in Peace, Peter.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I enjoyed more than a few conversations with Peter over the years. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace.
henryindianajonesjr44
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by henryindianajonesjr44 »

Very sad news. We lost a legend. He has made countless members so happy over the years.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Oh my, this is awful. Peter was such a gentleman, a consummate professional, and one of the original movie gear vendors who embraced our community and genuinely cared about our hobby. Peter was a living legend, and God bless him for everything he did to make his customers happy. It often required a saintly degree of patience to cater to our finicky jacket specs and obsessive nonsense. I've always worn my Westeds faithfully and with great pride, but now moreso in honor of Mr. Botwright, whose legacy is forever enshrined in cinema history. Rest In Peace, dear sir, and Godspeed. :cry:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

At a loss for words. We go back to Indyfan.com when he first approached 'us' asking what this hobby was all about back in 1996.

That lead to years of collaboration about hides, patterns, etc., as well as early morning (here) late night (there) phone calls about this and that.

When he moved to the Barn, our discussions were fewer as he had more irons in the fire, but he sent me a FB message last year commenting on the fact he and his wife had gone to a pub that was in my families name, and thought of me.

I have always liked the photo Eric posted above, as that's Peter hold the AB fedora this community gathered funds together for and had made for him from all of us.

So, to you, my friend, safe travels, and my heart felt condolences to your family.

This is a real loss. :cry:

Regards! Michaelson
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Very sad news. Honoured to have met him in the last couple of years.
senorjacob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

R.I.P Peter Botwright

Post by senorjacob »

So sad. I just met him a month ago for the first time. He was generous with his time and told me some of the old stories when he first made the Raiders jacket. And then he gave me a ride back to Stanley station instead so I wouldn’t have to take a cab.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

So sad to hear. I had the pleasure of meeting him. I had met him during a UK summit in 2004 and then a year later at the Club Obi Wan Indy summit on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California. A few years later we stayed overnight at his house and had a wonderful weekend. I feel honored to have know him and he will be greatly missed.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I just saw this on Facebook. I haven't been around these parts in a while, but had to pop in to pay my respects. Sadly, some of us are at an age when life stops giving, and starts taking.

Peter was a good man and a great asset to the community. he could have easily snubbed us "weirdos and fan freaks" but instead he embraced us and became a member of this community.

Just yesterday, my boss was commenting on how great my Wested Raiders lamb was. I've had it for over 15 years. It's been to the Mexican jungle, on my drive across Canada and the Northern US, and was always a pillow, a protector from bugs and cold, and the sun. It's pretty beat up and distressed, and definitely looks like an Indy jacket, but not a single tear in the leather (although the liner has seen better days, I can't get it fixed because it's part of the patina now)

I'm proud to own three Wested jackets, but my lamb is my go-to for any occasion.

Goodnight, sweet Prince. Thank you for your service. :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Incredibly sad news and the passing of a titan.

Rest in peace sir.
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Such sad news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Peter, but he seemed like a real gent when emailing about jackets and so on. Like many of us, I'm sure, I have many jackets, but my Wested lamb has remained the one I always go back to, battered though it may be. I'll be wearing it today and thinking about the great man who made it.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

i was completely shocked to hear about this. Such sad news.
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

Godspeed, Peter—wore my lambskin Raiders last night without even knowing this news—very sad today
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sad news indeed. I will make a special point of wearing my Wested in Peter's honor.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Ouch! That is about all that comes to my mind.... other then God grant you peace Peter and condolences to your family and also to the team at Wested! God Bless your rest! And....thank you for all you did for me personally! W>
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Stunned... this really is a great loss.
Met him at a QM summit many years ago. The man was a gentleman.

RIP Peter.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

So long Peter,

Thanks for all the heroes, and some villains, you helped to bring to life over the years. Their images will endure and your legacy with them.
Frederick
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Frederick »

Devastating news. Our thoughts and prayers go out towards the family. Thank you Peter for your contribution in creating some wonderful childhood memories!
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

This is a shock even for those of us who didn’t know him personally. My deepest condolences to all of you who knew Peter personally, as well as his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

This is a tremendous shock. Thank you to Peter for his wonderful contribution to our lives for many, many years. He will be greatly missed.
Zendragon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zendragon »

Wow... complete loss for words.

Sometimes you take for granted the amazing people that are part of something you love. Peter has been around in my costume/hobby journey since the beginning. Never got to meet him but did get to chat over email about jackets. I am saddened to see another pillar of our community pass. Peter, you will be missed. RIP my friend.
corellian1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by corellian1 »

I just got the news. I didn't have many interactions with him, only a couple emails, but he was friendly and kind to answer all my dumb newbie questions, and I cherish the LC goatskin that resulted from our exchanges (I'm wearing it right now, actually). How incredible is it that years after seeing a movie in childhood, we all got to work with the man who outfitted our hero? I wish I'd met him in person or at least spoken to him on the phone...
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Thank you Peter for your contributions to cinematic history, and for making your iconic jacket available to us fans. You will be missed.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

We lost a pillar of our hobby and he will be missed by many. Condolences to his friends and family.
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Very sad to hear this. Our community has lost a giant and a pioneer.

May he rest in peace.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

One of the great pleasures was visiting Peter at the barn and being the recipient of his gracious hospitality. This is such sad news. Over the years I’ve ordered perhaps a dozen Wested jackets, my first on the advice of Lee Keppler. Always a bit of an “adventure”, but I wouldn’t trade the anticipation of that package from England for anything. I was delighted to have the opportunity to visit and see his shop in person. Hoping his family is cared for and finds peace in all their good memories.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If this notion hasn't already crossed the Mod's desk, I'd like to propose that the jacket forum be dedicated to the memory of Mr. Botwright, for all he has contributed to this great community. Indy wouldn't look nearly as cool without his leather jacket, and I will always wear my Wested in honor of the man who created it! :TOH:
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Very sad indeed, RIP Peter. Is this also the end of Wested, or will his company soldier on, I wonder...
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

senorjacob wrote:So sad. I just met him a month ago for the first time. He was generous with his time and told me some of the old stories when he first made the Raiders jacket. And then he gave me a ride back to Stanley station instead so I wouldn’t have to take a cab.
He did the same for me. What a great guy and a terrible loss.
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

Mr. B
You will always be in my memories as a great man and excellent provider to the Indy community. I recall our first phone conversation many many years back and you spoke to me as if you knew me for years. I appreciate all that you have done for so long and the beautiful jackets your company has provided. God bless you and may you continue your talents in Heaven.

Best regards and condolences
Indiana 7 :#:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Dr._J wrote:
senorjacob wrote:So sad. I just met him a month ago for the first time. He was generous with his time and told me some of the old stories when he first made the Raiders jacket. And then he gave me a ride back to Stanley station instead so I wouldn’t have to take a cab.
He did the same for me. What a great guy and a terrible loss.
I think he did that for many of us “Indy pilgrims”...
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

What great conversations we had when I met him a year ago while he made me an LC at the barn. Remember that he said that he had clients increasingly ask him to autograph their jackets but that he felt great. He also drove me back to the station in his Mercedes SL. A good man, he'll be missed.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I too have a lump in my throat as I just saw this on Instagram. I have 5 Wested jackets (1998-2000). I never had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone, but my Mom did when ordering me a jacket as a gift. She happens to be sitting next to me now. All I had to do is say his name and she immediately said; " Oh no! The jacket guy I talked to?! Honey I'm sorry!"

He was a memorable gentleman. I'm hit rather hard by this.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

R.I.P Peter Botwright

Post by Dalexs »

Unfortunately, many pictures from Queen Mary Summits of past are no longer available as member have moved on and image accounts have vanished...
But here's one from the Queen Mary Summit of 2005 when Peter and his wife, Pam, made the journey west to visit.
I wish there were more...

Left to right
Hemingway Jones, Pam & Peter Botwright, Dalexs

Bufflehead Jones advising Peter on which hat was more authentic.
And yes, Peter's first, official Indy hat was a Disney Dorfman...
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

So sorry to hear this. What a sad loss.
Prayers for Peter's family at this time.

God speed Peter

Will wear my distressed cow Raiders with even more pride and purpose now, in memoriam.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I have to say, I've shed a few tears now over this news. I became aware of Wested and Peter in 1998, just a few months after my little brother died. The hobby became something to lose myself in, while I was out of my mind with grief. Peter helped me through that, and he never even knew it. In those dark days, there was such immense joy in putting on my favorite Wasted.

Here are those jackets. Some never worn (there is some psychology behind that).

I wish I would have thanked him, but I know he knew how much these meant to me back on the Indyfan days.

Thanks again Peter, thanks x's a million. Image
Last edited by DeWayne on Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Complete shock. Prayers to his family...
Sarednab
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Sarednab »

My condolences to the family.... RIP.... :( :( :(
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Unfortunately, it is true that good men go first...

We would like to pay our respects to the man, without whom many of us wouldn't be here.
May God let him rest in peace.

Our condolences to his family and loved ones, really sorry to hear about your loss...

the BK team
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

A true gentleman,rest in peace Peter.
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

I haven't been around COW since last year when I read that Lee Keppler passed away. After wearing full gear last night at my wife's school's harvest festival I thought I'd come and check out info on replica Webley offerings. I'm saddened to hear of Peter's passing. He was the voice who took my order for a LC predistressed cow with Raiders sized collar. This is a huge loss for this community, but he had a huge part in helping us grow by providing even accurate or, like mine, idealized close enough, Indiana Jones jackets. He'll be missed.

Skywlkr
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

R.I.P Peter Botwright

Post by Duck9000 »

We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away.

Rest In Peace Mr Botwright
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I've owned two Wested jackets, and Peter personally took my order on my second one. He was quite the gentleman, and we had a lovely conversation. I'm saddened to hear of his passing. He's left an amazing legacy.
Arizona Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arizona Smith »

Spent a fabulous afternoon with Peter at the barn some years back. He was as welcoming, gracious and entertaining with me as I'm sure he has been with so many of you. Absolutely honoured to meet him and to be personally measured for a new 'Raiders' by the man himself. So saddened to hear of his passing. Peter, I salute you, sir. You will be sorely missed. Much love, Martin (Arizona Smith)