Another “Need Help” Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Another “Need Help” Thread

Post by IndyFan89 »

I’ve been trying to search for every piece of info on the different jackets available for purchase but I’ve over encumbered myself in info. All I want is a Screen Accurate Well Distressed Raiders Jacket that fits me straight out of the box . Is that so hard to ask!? Maybe it’s the lazy millennial in me!

But seriously, is there a jacket that ticks all these boxes? My first instinct was a Raiders Hero in pre-distressed lamb but I’ve seen others complain about color and how it fits (I’m a larger framed person). I enjoy something that looks like it come straight off the set of the movie. So as the title says; I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Another “Need Help” Thread

Post by Adventure Dog »

Indyfan89,

Many of us have been in your shoes. First off: Take a deep breath and remember "It's just a leather jacket". I panicked over my first custom hat, and now I'm already contemplating replacing it (or at least upgrading it). Are you referring to an Off-The-Rack Wested Jacket, or would you consider a custom?

Your big contenders for custom made jackets are: Wested, Steele & Jones, Magnoli Clothiers, and Bill Kelso.
Wested, WPG, & US Wings also supply Off-The-Rack jackets.

Screen Accurate: This varies from scene-to-scene. Which scene do you want to replicate?
Some of us prefer "well fitting" over SA if we are going to wear it daily. The Raiders jacket is notoriously ill fitting, with long shoulders, and a collar that sits off the neck.

Well Distressed: Can either be done by them, or by you. You might get a big kick out of trashing your own new jacket, or wearing it until it distresses from YOUR own adventures.

Raiders: Any of the custom companies can ensure they get the raiders details right (no leather facing, no snaps, correct side buckles), but once again this boils down to specific scenes.

Well Fitting: Make sure you understand your own measurements before you order. If you have long arms like me, OTR jackets are pretty much not possible, and we are forced to go custom.

I'm going to say "custom" is the way to ensure it has YOUR perfect Raiders details and is the right fit. I personally like Magnoli's and Steele & Jones customer service.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Adventure Dog wrote:Indyfan89,

Many of us have been in your shoes. First off: Take a deep breath and remember "It's just a leather jacket". I panicked over my first custom hat, and now I'm already contemplating replacing it (or at least upgrading it). Are you referring to an Off-The-Rack Wested Jacket, or would you consider a custom?

Your big contenders for custom made jackets are: Wested, Steele & Jones, Magnoli Clothiers, and Bill Kelso.
Wested, WPG, & US Wings also supply Off-The-Rack jackets.

Screen Accurate: This varies from scene-to-scene. Which scene do you want to replicate?
Some of us prefer "well fitting" over SA if we are going to wear it daily. The Raiders jacket is notoriously ill fitting, with long shoulders, and a collar that sits off the neck.

Well Distressed: Can either be done by them, or by you. You might get a big kick out of trashing your own new jacket, or wearing it until it distresses from YOUR own adventures.

Raiders: Any of the custom companies can ensure they get the raiders details right (no leather facing, no snaps, correct side buckles), but once again this boils down to specific scenes.

Well Fitting: Make sure you understand your own measurements before you order. If you have long arms like me, OTR jackets are pretty much not possible, and we are forced to go custom.

I'm going to say "custom" is the way to ensure it has YOUR perfect Raiders details and is the right fit. I personally like Magnoli's and Steele & Jones customer service.
Does Wested, Steele & Jones, Magnoli Clothiers, and Bill Kelso all offer distressing? If so is it a pre-distressed leather or actual distressing of the jacket by hand?

Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Does Wested, Steele & Jones, Magnoli Clothiers, and Bill Kelso all offer distressing? If so is it a pre-distressed leather or actual distressing of the jacket by hand?

Wested - Cow and Lamb come predistressed. I had a lamb one and it is way off SA color wise.

Magnoli - Not 100% sure but think the leather is predistressed.

S&J - Will distress the jacket for you.

Bill Kelso - Does not sell predistressed and does not distress the jacket for you.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Steele and Jones is what you want, as they will make a screen accurate jacket and distress it. There's a wait list though, expect to wait weeks if not months to get your jacket.

If you go anywhere else you'll have to distress the jacket yourself. None of the predistressed style leathers look correct for the movies really.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

We distress our jackets after they are made. Although we use the term "predistressed" we don't generally use predistressed leathers to make the jacket (in some cases we do, if that's how an original was made).
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Indy Magnoli wrote:We distress our jackets after they are made. Although we use the term "predistressed" we don't generally use predistressed leathers to make the jacket (in some cases we do, if that's how an original was made).
Do you have any pics of a distressed Raiders? I bought your shoes back in 08 and they fit like a charm.

I’ve never had any experience with Steele and Jones but I see allot of folks buying their jackets.

Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

IndyFan89 wrote:Do you have any pics of a distressed Raiders?
Here's our regular cowhide distressed Raiders:

...and here is our White Label Raiders (a thinner cowhide with distressing):

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think you've been getting good advice so far. Still, I'll put in a plug for BK as well. As far as I'm concerned, they have screen accuracy absolutely nailed. Their jackets are not distressed, but the leather drapes so perfectly out of the box that they don't even need to be. Here's mine from the day I got it.

Last edited by Mulceber on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

That white label jacket looks great

Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Lots of great vendors out there.

I’ve been very impressed with the ordering process with Steele & Jones.

It’s truly a custom jacket with the pattern made just for you based on the dimensions you send them.

I should have my jacket next month.

:)
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

That is where we find ourselves at today. The choices of makers and different leather options is staggering. I still have jackets including Wested, BK, G&B, US Wings and S&J. Actually, I like them all. I had to downsize recently when I moved and gave away or donated several Indy jackets. It was tough picking what ones to pass on..........Don't feel sorry for me as I still have too many.......lol
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Since the sad news this past week I’ve not been able to order a Wested. I’ve decided to go with a low budget off the rack jacket to get me through this winter. I don’t want to invest too much money as I’ve been on a major diet and lost 24lbs in the past month. So I know by the end of this winter the jacket my not fit. I’m currently a 2XL in a store bought leather jacket. I seen a young man at Disneyland last night with a Coyle’s but they’ve been out of stock. What jacket do you guys recommend?

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

If you're looking for a lower cost jacket you will likely grow out of in a few months, I suggest going to the secondary market. There's a ton of Indy style jackets out there for great prices.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

yeah, or you might just get anything that is sort of close, heck, even an old A-2 will do for the winter...good luck!
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I see allot of cheap jackets on amazon and eBay. Are there any on those sites you guys would recommend?

IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

How long does it usually take for an off the rack Wested to arrive?

Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I've had it in as little as 2 weeks.