Wested boots?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

RobFedorafield
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Wested boots?

Post by RobFedorafield »

http://indygear.com/cow/posting.php?mod ... 16&t=67331#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

still trying to decide what to do, keep my Alden 403 "second's" or save some money by getting the Wested boots or the Thursday Diplomats. now that some of you adventureres have had your Wested for a couple of weeks, how are they breaking in?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

RobFedorafield wrote:http://indygear.com/cow/posting.php?mod ... 16&t=67331#

still trying to decide what to do, keep my Alden 403 "second's" or save some money by getting the Wested boots or the Thursday Diplomats. now that some of you adventureres have had your Wested for a couple of weeks, how are they breaking in?
Not really a fan of the Diplomats. Just my experience with the brand. I am also looking forward to hearing how the Wested boots hold up.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

May I ask for a picture of the back of the heels?
Alden boots usually have a very nice way of heel attachment. I am wondering how the wested version looks like now. Alden had been unbeaten so far IMO
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

These boots are great, nice color. I feel like "Dr Martens" Inside. Very close to my Alden's 403. Very nice boots for the price!

403 on the right

GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

Worn mine for a few weeks now. Bought them for costuming, and like them so much I've worn them hiking and whilst out doing field work. I was wrong about the speed lacers, they haven't worn the laces out at all.
didier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by didier »

I changed the laces. Those proposed by wested are horrible and do not fit. Except this, I'm very happy with it O:)
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

didier wrote:I changed the laces. Those proposed by wested are horrible and do not fit. Except this, I'm very happy with it O:)
Oh yeah, I did that too. Crockett and Jones boot laces. Tough things.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Any word on whether these are an actual Goodyear welt?
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

kozmoedave wrote:Any word on whether these are an actual Goodyear welt?
Here is a customer review of the boots directly off the Wested site which seems to answer the question.

Reviewer: Adam from Surrey, England 5 Stars
These boots are fantastic, they capture the look of the boots worn by our favourite hero brilliantly. Also these boots have the construction and quality that you would usually pay 3 times the price for, the leather used is this and stong yet supple, the hardware used is top notch and then there is the sole. These boots have a Goodyear welted sole! For this price! Plus the rubber sole provide great traction, even on wet surfaces. On top of all of that the boots come with two sets of laces, one round and one flat and each individual boot comes in its own protective bag within the sturdy shoe box. I highly recommend these boots.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I heard through the grape vine they were made by Wolverine, which DOES use Goodyear welts...at least that's the word floating around.

Regards! M
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

What about sizing? You said that they are true to size, but the sized they have listed for sale in the US are in half sizes: 8.5, 9.5, 10.5.

I usually wear a size 10, so what's a chap to do with this??
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Charybdis wrote:What about sizing? You said that they are true to size, but the sized they have listed for sale in the US are in half sizes: 8.5, 9.5, 10.5.

I usually wear a size 10, so what's a chap to do with this??
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a US 8.5 because they didn't offer 9. In an email last month they said the EU size 42 is equivalent to US size 9. But in an email today they simply said they don't offer US 9 (they only do common UK sizes) and asked me if I want 8.5 or 9.5 :-k
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

UPDATE: "Our website clearly shows what sizes we do". They ignored my question about returns. Wested customer service is really lame. ](*,)

Anyone know if they allow returns for the boots?
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

As far as i was aware US sizes are one up on UK sizing so a UK size 9 would equate to a US size 10 etc.

I have bought boots from the US in the same manner, I wear a UK 10 so i purchased a US size 11 and had no fit issues what so ever so not sure what the half size thing Wested states regarding US sizes.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

Marv wrote:As far as i was aware US sizes are one up on UK sizing so a UK size 9 would equate to a US size 10 etc.

I have bought boots from the US in the same manner, I wear a UK 10 so i purchased a US size 11 and had no fit issues what so ever so not sure what the half size thing Wested states regarding US sizes.
Yeah, I have no idea why they only offer US sizes in half sizes. It's stupid.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

Well I've just pulled the trigger on a pair UK Size 10, lets see how they hold up once I get them.

Not sure what sort of delivery times Wested do with stock items, hopefully within a week would be nice.

Last pair of Indy boots I owned were from Todds, they looked the part but weren't up to much from what I recall.
The Character
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by The Character »

I saw these Friday ... great boots. Had i not been after another Jacket id go for these .. the brass work is the most surprising thing, in that the speed laces are really heavy duty and not going to bend out or snap ..

Peters doing so well with these he's reordering and also maybe adding the CS antiqued/weathered lighter look to the range. they are epic!
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

The Character wrote:I saw these Friday ... great boots. Had i not been after another Jacket id go for these .. the brass work is the most surprising thing, in that the speed laces are really heavy duty and not going to bend out or snap ..

Peters doing so well with these he's reordering and also maybe adding the CS antiqued/weathered lighter look to the range. they are epic!
I should have waited for those! sounds good. I take back my gripes about sizing. They fit great.

Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I'm wearing my boots for the first time today and so far I am liking them a lot.

I ordered a size UK10 and I would say that they are true to size and very comfortable straight out of the box.

Two pairs of laces supplied, one round and one flat, swapped out the round ones as I didn't like the look of them.

The top coat finish looks as though it will weather pretty easily and I am already starting to see high spots around the natural creasing of the shoe which looks great.

I will probably wear them in for a couple of weeks and then looks to polish with either a brown or clear shoe polish / cream depending on how they look.

First impressions, a very well constructed comfortable boot at a very reasonable price for what you are getting. :TOH:
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Got mine in today, very happy with what I am seeing so far.

Good fit and great looking boots. Can't wait to break them in. :whip:
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

I ordered a pair on Saturday and they arrived today. My first impressions are that they’re a good solid pair of boots. I don’t have the Aldens, so these were a great option.

The leather will mark easily, but that’s not a problem and it seems think and of decent quality.

Size-wise, I’m usually a UK 9.5 G, US 10 EE, so ordered the size 10. I’d say the European 44 is closer to the true size (usually slightly smaller than a UK 10). I’d say they’re not very generous for a UK ten, but fit me just fine with a Smartwool medium thickness casual sock.

The sole seems good, and the footbed is removable.

Underneath the footbed the shoe is clearly marker “Airflex”, which is an Australian brand, who also manufacture shoes for UK chain Marks & Spencer. They seem to be something like Clarke’s shoes in make and quality. It doesn’t look like they’re Goodyear welted, but I could be wrong.

Next to my Tricker’s Stow in a UK 9.5:

Let me know if you want more pics!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

Boots look great. I received size 12 and only gripe I have is the boots are thin. They don’t fit wide feet people at all. They are a little too tight. Might have to sell.
Blackadder
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blackadder »

indyfan1234 wrote:Boots look great. I received size 12 and only gripe I have is the boots are thin. They don’t fit wide feet people at all. They are a little too tight. Might have to sell.
Good to know, also planed to take size 12 when they restock, but I also need a wider model.
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Yes, they are a narrow fit (or maybe a standard fit). I was ok as I was going up a half size, but I wouldn’t want a smaller pair. If they are Aussie made, they’re a smaller fit than my Blundstone boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Out and about in them again today. Very comfy for general wandering around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I was THINKING about maybe trying a pair to see how they compare to my Aldens, but then saw that the speed lacers were too big and they have inaccurate stitching on the heel like the J Crew boots have. That was a deal breaker for me.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Once you wear Aldens, you've reached the pinnacle. Everything else pales in comparison. Rather like owning a BMW, but entertaining the idea of buying a Toyota "just to see how it drives." :rolling:
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Wore them all day on Saturday and developed a nasty blister on my left heel. For context, I often have issues like this with certain boots, but in this case I think it has to do with the inner stitching of the boot. It has a smooth heel area, surrounded by stitched lining in an upside down U shape, and my heel is rubbing on the stitching. First time they've done that, though, so it could be a sock issues, or just a bad day.

Still, a nice pair of boots and I've only worn them four times, so still some breaking in to do, I wager.

M.
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

How do I stop my boots from squeaking?
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I wear a size 12 us so what size would i need to order and when they going to restock
Wotalark
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Wotalark »

US sizes are normally one size larger than UK so you should look to order a UK size 11. I am a UK8 but normally wear Chippewas in US 9 and Aldens in US 9 or US 8.5 , dependent on the last, as they have a couple.

But if you look at the little dropdown next to the boots on the Wested site it says UK11, US 11.5 so you might want to ask them directly about the equivalent size.

The UK 11s appear to be in stock:
https://www.wested.com/adventurer-boots ... 3759-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mick spain
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by mick spain »

I have had a pair of these boots for a while now & they are very well made But for me too narrow I am a uk size 11. so I have been trying to stretch them which seems to be working, a little at a time then trying them,
I should have sent them back really but couldn't part with them once I had them. I think they will be ok in the end, I found the laces too short as well so purchased some longer ones :)
mick spain
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by mick spain »

mick spain wrote:I have had a pair of these boots for a while now & they are very well made But for me too narrow I am a uk size 11. so I have been trying to stretch them which seems to be working, a little at a time then trying them,
I should have sent them back really but couldn't part with them once I had them. I think they will be ok in the end, I found the laces too short as well so purchased some longer ones :)

Ended up taking these to the Boot repair shop to see if they could stretch them just a little more, My boot stretchers wouldn't quite do it
I'm looking forward to getting them back, hopefully they will be ok, so I can wear them more, definitely very good quality :D
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Goodbye old 'Indy' boots, hello new Wested boots. Well pleased with these.Image

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Made in China - says so on the tongue. Sizes listed on my pair were 45 EU, 11 UK and 10 USA.

Wested has them listed as 45 EU, 11 UK and 11.5 USA.

I wear an 11.5 in Aldens and a 45 in European stuff. 12 in dress shoes.

Boots are way too small and will be dropped in the charity bin in the morning.

Boots look pretty decent.
Zaphod
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Zaphod »

I just got a pair of these boots yesterday. The shipping was fast. I live in the US on the East Coast and got them in 3 days. They look very nice and the fit was spot on for me. I wore them out to dinner and they felt comfortable. I think they will feel even better as they naturally break in. The only odd thing was on the inside of the boot where it listed the sizes it showed the correct EU and UK size but showed a USA size of 9. I ordered a USA size of 10 1/2. This is my size. The shoes fit..so I have to assume the USA labeling on the boot itself was incorrect.

I have never had Alden's to compare them too but I like them and they work great for my Indy costume. I look forward to doing some natural distressing as well. :lol:
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Congratulations on your purchase! I've had mine for about 3 months now and they're perfect. Three days shipping to the US though, that's fast! Perhaps you might put up some pictures for us of your boots.

Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Those of you who have had a pair of these Wested boots for awhile now, could you update on how they’re holding up and aging? I’ve done some searching on here but haven’t found anything
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Metallicuda wrote:Those of you who have had a pair of these Wested boots for awhile now, could you update on how they’re holding up and aging? I’ve done some searching on here but haven’t found anything
I've had mine for about a year and they're still going strong. I'll have to change the laces having just worn through the left one for the second time, but they've aged really well. I gave them a little aging to begin with, but they have plenty of character naturally now. I hope that helps.

Metallicuda
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Metallicuda »

Dangerfreak would you be able to post some pics of your Wested boots?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Metallicuda wrote:Dangerfreak would you be able to post some pics of your Wested boots?
I'm also interested in some pics. :-k

The boots are pretty cheap and I haven't heard bad things about them.
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

I think they're excellent for the money. I'll see if I can get some current pictures this weekend in natural light.

Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Sorry about the wait. Still haven't had the chance to replace the laces, but here they are.
The weathering had a helping hand with some steel wool originally, but this has been complemented by natural weathering. I've worn them practically everyday when not at work and they have been polished twice. They hold polish very well and the weathering is covered nicely by this, only to emerge naturally again as the polish wears off. I do a fare bit of walking, so I'm very pleased with how the soles are holding up. All the stitching has remained perfectly solid. I consider these boots much better made and hard wearing than your usual fashion boot.ImageImageImageImageImage

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Wow, they really look amazing. And they seem to have held up great to the use.

Thanks very much for putting up the pictures!

I hope they keep serving you well! :TOH:

Cheers,
Bear
Dangerfreak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerfreak »

Thanks Bear. Year's ago I had a pair of modern-ish German paratroopers boots which I picked up from an Army surplus shop. They lasted me around 10 years. Every boot I've bought since then, usually vintage looking fashion boots, have fallen apart after about a year or less. I want to see how close these Indy boots can get to the German boot record!

bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Dangerfreak wrote:Thanks Bear. Year's ago I had a pair of modern-ish German paratroopers boots which I picked up from an Army surplus shop. They lasted me around 10 years. Every boot I've bought since then, usually vintage looking fashion boots, have fallen apart after about a year or less. I want to see how close these Indy boots can get to the German boot record!

That's very nice, hope they break the record! :D

I also have a tendency to run through (pun intended) shoes/boots quite quickly... No matter the maker or price tag at times, to my dismay...
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

I'm not sure when they changed it, but the Wested site is now showing only US whole sizes (9, 10, 11, etc).

That being said, I typically wear a US10.5 and I'm not sure if I should go US10 or US11. A fair amount of comments on here seem to suggest they're a little tight, especially on the sides.

Thoughts or suggestions?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I just got mine, size 13. Came really super fast! Ordered Tuesday, received Friday. Seem like a really great pair of Indy boots for the money. They are narrow. I've been wearing a little here and there to break them in.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

I would love to purchase these new shoes in the lighter color, easier to give the wear and tear look like in the truck chase , and if it is with rubber , much lighter to run around in and easier on ,( at least my,) feet.