Raiders Penman

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Raiders Penman

Post by car96 »

Couple of shots of my two year old Penman Raiders.
It is extremely hard to take photos of your self.

I am not sure why no matter how much I pull the hat down/forward over my brow...it still looks like from the profile view that the hat is tilting upwards on my head.

Steele & Jones LC jacket.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Raiders Penman

Post by BendingOak »

Can you give me a shot from the side without the hat. The answer may be there.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Actually, I think you may have pulled the hat down too far in the front. Don't worry about the hat seeming to tilt back. It's supposed to do that.

It looks great, though. John makes a beautiful hat.

Dave
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

As requested by John

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I think the hat looks fine. I like mine pulled down to where I can just get a finger width in above my eyebrow and norm of brim.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

I think it looks fine too....I know I have a weirdly shaped head, heavy protruding brow and the back of my head where the hat band sits is also weird; just don't know why it looks like it's tilted upward.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

The hat is a beaut, and your right trying to take pictured of ones self is challenging.
But based on your pic's, it looks like your holding the camera at arms length (or phone).
if that's the case, that could be half your problem, you subconsciously tilt your head.
Either find some one to take the picture with look you looking into the lens, but a few feet away.
Me, I've gotten ok with the 10 second delay on my camera, trick is having a tripod to set it.

But the hat is a beaut. :clap:

Croft :mrgreen:
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones2 »

Looks great. Your ears are probably "lower" than Indiana Jones is all. My hat sits like yours too.

People's heads are wildly different.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

darthjones2 wrote:Looks great. Your ears are probably "lower" than Indiana Jones is all. My hat sits like yours too.

People's heads are wildly different.

Not only this, but we tend to view ourselves (in our hats) far more critically then those who view us. It is easy to get a mindset of how we wish to look with a particular hat and then one look in the mirror or of a photograph of ourselves and boom -- we start to criticize our appearance. W>
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's the way your head is shaped I'm afraid. You can either wear it this way, which I don't think is bad at all. Or you can wear it a lot higher in the back which means you will need a lot smaller hat. it will take getting used to wearing it that way.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I wouldn't think about it too much. The hat looks great on you. The less you fuss over it, the more comfortable you'll feel in it.

Dave
shade88
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by shade88 »

DR Ulloa wrote:I wouldn't think about it too much. The hat looks great on you. The less you fuss over it, the more comfortable you'll feel in it.

Dave
I agree. I have had my Penman Raiders for three years, and started to enjoy it when I stopped fidgeting the bash every other day to match the movie hat.
Last edited by shade88 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Thanks for all the help fellas, now I need another questions answered.

The hat is slightly too big, how should I go about making it fit a little bit tighter?
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

How big is it? Does it fall down and rest on your ears or just move around a little on your head? If it's just a hair big you can fold up some paper towel and wedge it between the sweatband and the liner in the front/back or sides depending on where the gaps lie. If it's really big, which the hat doesn't seem to be from the pictures (but only you can tell), you may have to send it back to John to have it resized. From what I understand going down in size is fine. There are tricks that involve water and heat that can shrink the sweat but I wouldn't recommend it. If it really is that big, just send it back to John. The guy has a reputation for a reason. He will take care of you.

Dave
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

It is NOT really that much bigger.

I would just like it to fit a little more snug.

I have already placed a piece of webbing belt inside the hat band, but it is only about 3 inches long.

Aside from the doing the internet google search, I was looking for ideas from here because....well you know, everyone here is more or less an expert on all things Indy.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Hats Direct does (or used to) supply thin half-round foam strip you could us to adjust the fit. Basically light weatherstripping. In the past I have cut pieces off the thin end of old neckties and slipped them behind the sweatband to do the same thing. I'm sure webbing would work, but silk (or even polyester) necktie material is a little "squishier."
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

As Dave mentioned, I have used simple paper towels or napkins behind the sweatband. On several of my hats, once I've owned and worn them regularly, the sweat shrinks down slightly (a normal thing and a little 'extra' is built into the sweatbands for just this reason) so I can remove the paper towels and the hat fits perfect.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

How much do you actually wear it? :-k

You'll find with regular wear, as you perspire the sweatband will start so slightly shrink after usage. That's really the best way to make a hat eventually fit your head. I know good hat makers like John give a bit of allowance for that shrinkage in the sweatband when a custom hat is made and worn on a regular basis.

You need to wear it for a while, and regularly. I bet after a month or more outings on your head, you'll find it starts fitting perfectly.

As for your photos, I personally see nothing wrong at all with the hat, or the way it sits on your head. Like our jackets, you just have to start making 'friends' with it, and make it your own.....and the only way to do that is to wear it, and not just occasionally.

Regards! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

i use a piece of crafting felt.
car96
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by car96 »

Yeah....I don't get the chance to wear it that much.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

In that case you may want to wear it around the house when you are just hanging out so that when you do get a chance to wear it out it will have had a chance to conform to your head a bit. After a while, you won't even feel silly wearing it while doing dishes or yard work.

Dave
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

I'm a little late to this dance but if you're still wanting to shrink your hat a little I suggest resting your hat on its crown (upside down)fold out the sweat, dampen it with water then dry it with a hair dryer. You will definitely shrink the sweat a little this way. But be careful to direct the heat away from the crown to ensure heat isnt applied as I'm sure you don't want to chance tapering it. :TOH:
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

I think head and hat look fine together.
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

I think the hat looks fine but if you want to snug up the fit a little then some foam draft excluder, the type with adhesive on one side, stuck inside the sweatband will do the job.

Ah an old thread resurrected. Never mind the advice still stands for anyone that needs it!