Difference in indy bags

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Difference in indy bags

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Image[/URL]
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Difference in indy bags

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Was wondering why is one bag bigger than the other
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Are these original bags?

If so, there were many different manufacturers that might not have followed all the same specs. I'm pretty sure even if it was the same manufacturer you would find differences.

It's why some bags have the inner partition, some have the three vent holes in the bottom etc.

If these are reproductions from the same company.... then that's a really good question. I've never seen a bag with a long bottom like that, it's almost as if the bag lost it's shape?
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

The one on the right is todds costumes I believe and the left not for sure think it's a lee keepler. Was wondering which one would be more screen accurate
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Crazyc2314 wrote:The one on the right is todds costumes I believe and the left not for sure think it's a lee keepler. Was wondering which one would be more screen accurate
Ah okay...

probably a matter of opinion, which movie (or which scene within a movie) that you prefer....... Indy himself noticeably had different ones (like the infamous three drain hole one from TOD and I think one in CS or LC? had an eyelet in the top inside divider)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Makes sense that the bag on the right is from Todd's. He's had some sizing variation on his bags over the years. Still quality bags, and the slightly longer length made them more practical for many members.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I check at Todd website he doesn't sell bags anymore. Anyone know where I can find a bag like the one on the right I use the one on the left but it's to small and I think the bigger one is more screen accurate.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not sure of the exact dimensions you're looking for, but Magnoli makes a great MKVII replica:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/british ... -p-66.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WPG makes one too:

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/19 ... ana-Jones/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're not dead set on a repro and screen accuracy is a priority, nice originals are still plentiful. You just need to communicate with the vendor to see which ones are still in mint condition (usually the W&G).

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/genuine ... p-719.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/19 ... -ORIGINAL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wested.com/genuine-mk-vii-19 ... 1439-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-re-en ... tegory,747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

Thank you that helped out alot
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

One thing to bear in mind when buying original respirator haversacks, including unissued stock, is there may be some perishing. When I was a kid my dad used one to carry his lunch for work in one so my fondness for them pre-dates Indy! Anyway, I bought one a couple of years ago and used it as a travel bag for those small essentials. Unfortunately the fabric that holds the steel rings for the shoulder strap perished and gave way while I was in an airport waiting for a connecting flight. I ended up getting it repaired with some leather in a little sewing shop in the Philippines. So far so good but no longer screen accurate!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

yellowduke wrote:One thing to bear in mind when buying original respirator haversacks, including unissued stock, is there may be some perishing. When I was a kid my dad used one to carry his lunch for work in one so my fondness for them pre-dates Indy! Anyway, I bought one a couple of years ago and used it as a travel bag for those small essentials. Unfortunately the fabric that holds the steel rings for the shoulder strap perished and gave way while I was in an airport waiting for a connecting flight. I ended up getting it repaired with some leather in a little sewing shop in the Philippines. So far so good but no longer screen accurate!

Yep, my original has held up well for 20 years but that is the first thing that is on it's way out the steel ring straps, it's time to trade up!
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I'm going with Genuine MkVII Gas Mask Bag from Magnoli. I like the original better than the repro