Question regarding bullwhip holders

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Question regarding bullwhip holders

Post by Tinplatejeff »

How do people find wearing the Raiders bullwhip holder permanently attached to the gun belt? Is it comfortable and secure with a bullwhip and a holster hanging off of each hip? Or is a separate holder like the TOD/LC style better for actual wearing of it. I'm asking because I'm about to order a Raiders gun belt from Make It Jones, but can't decide between being screen accurate and the flexibility of having the bullwhip holder seperate. Thoughts & opinions?

:-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question regarding bullwhip holders

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm a fan of the separate holder. It gives you more flexibility to move the whip forward or backward depending on preference or if you are sitting vs. standing. Also, I like the LC set-up where the whip holder is actually on the web belt and the gun belt is fed through the holder. Having it set up that way helps keep the gun belt in place. In fact, I prefer the CS arrangement of wearing the gun belt 'backwards' so I can slide the belt out of the whip holder without removing the holster from the belt.

In any case, a double wrap holder is the best way to go. It's not screen accurate, but it actually works. SA holders don't hold the whip tight enough and the weight of the handle will pull the whip out of the holder.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

OK, thanks for the input.

Also, David at Make It Jones, recommends something he calls his "grab" holder.

It looks like this:

He describes it this way:

"If you were going for a removable version in the Raiders style then for practicality I'd recommend my own 'grab' design in this type configuration (but with the tab set higher). All the film designs place a certain amount of stress on the press stud when the whip moves about because the press stud is set on the bottom of the belt loop and holds the belt loop in place. By having it fasten lower down it doesn't get 'pulled' at by the whip moving about and a rivet does the job of holding the belt loop in place - less stress on the press stud means a better hold on the whip."

So I think I might go that route. Has anyone tried this style?

:TOH:
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

I switched to the belt-attached holder after initially trying the separate belt/holder setup. The movable holder has its advantages, but for me, none outweighed having to constantly pull my pants up.

As IJ mentioned, the double wrap is a no-brainer. Most double-wrap holders come in a "SA look-alike" version.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Agreed, putting the loop through the web belt as well is the best way to go. I have the wrap around and I hate how it looks but prefer how it performs. Most of the time you have your bag over the whip anyway so it's better to walk around and not have your whip fall to the ground every 10 feet. And being able to adjust the gun and whip separately it helps for sitting and for not having the knot handle smacking your knee when you walk (not fun).
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

How well does the grab holder work that make it Jones offer
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

https://youtu.be/U7jyth3FQ9Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is Jeremiah's video explaining his whip holder When I got it and tried it out, it performed as promised- it gave a quick release of the whip to use it, and it held the whip with no slipping- and I was doing an event as Zorro climbing rocks and bridges and stuff.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I don't have the grabber from Maker it Jones, but I do have that type. It is the only holder that has ever worked for me. They may not be screen accurate, but they work.

Personally, I like the holder separate. I can go with or without, but also can shift the whip as needed.

As far as keeping my gun belt up, I use "belt keepers" placed in hard to see places. Make it Jones could probably make one or two in a color that matches the belt. Cops use them to hold up their gunbelts. It pretty much does what Jeff's suggestion is, if you don't want the holder on the web belt.
Crazyc2314
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Crazyc2314 »

I was a cop for 10 years so I know what you mean about the belt keppers and that's a good idea
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree on both of Chewie's points, non-riveted and double-wrap is the way to go for a close enough look with real world functionality.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff