How many of you..own Miller Hat Companys Indiana Miller

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

How many of you..own Miller Hat Companys Indiana Miller

Post by MARQ »

Miller Hat Company, I happened to check out the fedora in Miller Hats as Harrison Fedora and it looked great! There´s three brims to choose but what´s the crown-height? And for 117 dollars not bad price.Miller owners report!! :whip:
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: How many of you..own Miller Hat Companys Indiana Miller

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I bought one open crown when I started wearing hats. I misted it to aid in creasing & when it dried it had tapered. The first rainfall that I wore it in caused even more tapering.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I wonder if their quality has improved in recent years. Though I would not be surprised to hear that it is the same, Miller did go through a major reorganization over the last year or so, including dumping all the non-military hats from their site for several months before bringing their collections back.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

honestly for those prices, I'd just go with something you know is good. Akubra, Todds, Garrison, etc.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

backstagejack wrote:honestly for those prices, I'd just go with something you know is good. Akubra, Todds, Garrison, etc.
This.

Akubra especially if you want a color other than brown.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

plus, are their brims dimensional? Last time I was in there and asked if they could trim a Stetson Temple that I had bought they could only cut it round instead of dimensional.... granted that was....13 years ago haha

Looking at their site.... they're offering what's called the Harrison Fedora.... they no longer offer them as indy hats (I'm guessing a liscensing issue?). My guess from looking at the specs is no, it's not a dimensional brim, unless someone knows different.

Yeah, I'd go Akubra, Garrison, or Todds if they're charging 175.

What's your budget? If you don't have a cap, Penman or a AB Henry!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I had this particular Miller back when they were called something else. The brim at that time was not dimensional. I assume that these arent as they do not seem to indicate so. I liked mine and used it more as just a dress hat that was Indiana Jonesish that an SA indy hat. A that time, it seemed to be a very nice hat. I loved the softness and adaptibility of the felt. And the wider ribbon really gave it a vintage feel and look. I have a Todds and several feds as well as akubras, AB and a Steele and Jones and i would still like to add a Miller to it.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Gorak wrote:I had this particular Miller back when they were called something else. The brim at that time was not dimensional. I assume that these arent as they do not seem to indicate so. I liked mine and used it more as just a dress hat that was Indiana Jonesish that an SA indy hat. A that time, it seemed to be a very nice hat. I loved the softness and adaptibility of the felt. And the wider ribbon really gave it a vintage feel and look. I have a Todds and several feds as well as akubras, AB and a Steele and Jones and i would still like to add a Miller to it.
But I just have to add if you're looking for a Indy hat, the Miller is just a Brown fedora with no dimensional brim, wider ribbon and the ability to taper.

I'm not saying it's not a nice hat but if MARQ is looking for an Indy hat then Miller is not it.
That being said, if MARQ just wants an nice brown fedora by all means it might be a nice Fedora.

In the original post MARQ states it's 117 dollars but I'm only seeing it as $175 unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
To me if you want a fedora titled "Harrison Fedora" I would expect an Indy hat out of it, especially for that kinda money but again this is just a brown fedora that's only connection to Indy is Harrison Ford's name and that it's brown, haha.... but that's jmo :TOH:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

True dat!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just to tag onto what Bruce Wayne said above, they're nice hats, but NEVER allow them to get wet! I owned 2 'back in the day' when we were breaking away from the only game in town....Stetson.

After two events in the rain, they tapered almost to a point!

A great 'fair weather hat', but not one for long haul 'everyday' type wear.

Regards! Michaelson
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

So..no Miller´s Harrison fedora for me then and the issue of price..Sorry it was 175 bucks...it began with 100,forgot the rest! ;) Why fedoras are so darn expensive??
I´d buy Adventurebilt for better quality but the price.Search continues..Maybe Akubra..OR Todd´s....we´ll see :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

For $175 you can get a custom made rabbit from David Garrison.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:Just to tag onto what Bruce Wayne said above, they're nice hats, but NEVER allow them to get wet! I owned 2 'back in the day' when we were breaking away from the only game in town....Stetson.

After two events in the rain, they tapered almost to a point!

A great 'fair weather hat', but not one for long haul 'everyday' type wear.

Regards! Michaelson
Same story here, other than I only had one of the Miller hats. It really was a nice hat, at first, even without the dimensional cut, but 'RAIN :shock: !' Goodbye hat -- flat #-o ! Price point is good, but as others have stated here, there are many other better options in this price range that would probably, in the long run, hold up much better for you. W>
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

$175 is actually relatively cheap for a fedora in terms of how far you can go. Most production hats fall in that general ballpark. Custom hats from the most celebrated hatters can go for over $1000.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I will try to get a pic of my Miller hat tomorrow.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I remember on the old IndyGear website there was a side by side photo of the miller and the Stetson. The Miller looked incredible, while the Stetson looked like the cockpit scene. I don't think this is the case anymore. My akubra has held up better than my miller.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

By way of my brother I aquired two Millers recently........a black and a brown. I remember a million years ago, my first Miller was very floppy outa of the box. These are soft but not floppy. Right about the same as any Fed I have ever had in terms of floppyness. It was so coincidental with this thread so I posted some pics right out of the box.. enjoy....

Small album with a few pics being worn and bashed. The brown looks better with a teardrop bash while the black looked better with a center dent. Don`t know if I`ll keep them but they look so nice brand spanking new!
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/kokoros ... ler%20Hats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They kinda feel like a US Wings jacket to me..... Not screen accurate in any way but still having a heavy Indy Vib although in the end, they make better "vintage style" fedoras than Indy hats...until they get wet, huh, Michealson! :M:
I wish I knew if they were better made than the old ones.....only one way to find out....
:Forrestal:
Last edited by Gorak on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Gorak wrote:Not screen accurate in any way but still having a heavy Indy Vib although in the end, they make better "vintage style" fedoras than Indy hats...until they get wet, huh, Michealson! :M:
Man, you got THAT right! :roll: ;)

Regard! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Gorak wrote:By way of my brother I aquired two Millers recently........a black and a brown. I remember a million years ago, my first Miller was very floppy outa of the box. These are soft but not floppy. Right about the same as any Fed I have ever had in terms of floppyness. It was so coincidental with this thread so I posted some pics right out of the box.. enjoy....

Small album with a few pics being worn and bashed. The brown looks better with a teardrop bash while the black looked better with a center dent. Don`t know if I`ll keep them but they look so nice brand spanking new!
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/kokoros ... ler%20Hats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They kinda feel like a US Wings jacket to me..... Not screen accurate in any way but still having a heavy Indy Vib although in the end, they make better "vintage style" fedoras than Indy hats...until they get wet, huh, Michealson! :M:
I wish I knew if they were better made than the old ones.....only one way to find out....
:Forrestal:
I have to disagree about Wings not being screen accurate in any way. One coat of pecards and the steerhide is fantastic color match. I see so many of the several hundred dollar custom jackets coming in light brown. I was goin to order a Nowak but then i kept seeing so many brown ones i decided on a Wested LC. Just my opinion, but i think the Wings jackets are pretty darn SA.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have the following Miller Indy inspired hats:

Adventurer
Raider II
Indiana Jones (Pretty Old)
Indiana Jones

They are like some other Indy hats and not screen accurate. It does not bother me but it might for some. The hats have held up well in rain and snow for me. I have Indy style hats from Adventurebilt, Advintage, Herbert Johnson, and Akubra, DP licensed fur #-o and a couple others.

For the price there are more accurate models. Advintage has their Harrison factory model and Garrison has a handmade model. Sure there might be other very good and more accurate hats for 200.00 USD or under.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

It's been awhile on this thread. I know supposedly things have changed in quality. Thinking on buying a Miller hat. Not an Indy hat but the Doc Holiday Version II. Anyone care to comment on the consensus on the quality of Miller's hats?

Sadly and ironically enough, I don't live near Houston anymore so I can't go there personally. I want this hat, wanted it for years and finally ready to pull the trigger but.... if it they are still having taper issues after a bit of rain I'm not that keen.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

MARQ wrote:Miller Hat Company, I happened to check out the fedora in Miller Hats as Harrison Fedora and it looked great! There´s three brims to choose but what´s the crown-height? And for 117 dollars not bad price.Miller owners report!! :whip:
I've owned one of their Indy hats and while the ribbon and tear drop crown are hardly screen accurate, I must say that the felt they use is a very supple, pliable and the color is pretty close. With a reblock and new ribbon you'd be on your way. :TOH:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

The Open Crown Harrison I have is beautiful and I love the felt......but I am so afraid to get it wet as years ago they use to taper so bad. And I like this hat so much that I baby it so as to not get wet.....I have a brown, grey and black one....all recent purchases. I think the Doc Holiday one would be neat but you just may not want to the chanew of it getting wet.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Gorak wrote:The Open Crown Harrison I have is beautiful and I love the felt......but I am so afraid to get it wet as years ago they use to taper so bad. And I like this hat so much that I baby it so as to not get wet.....I have a brown, grey and black one....all recent purchases. I think the Doc Holiday one would be neat but you just may not want to the chanew of it getting wet.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of as well. I'd want the hat for actual use so, not being able to get it wet is definitely a deal breaker. I know earlier in the thread it was mentioned they might have fixed this issue. Oh well, there are other options out there...