I found the Holy Grail

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

I found the Holy Grail

Post by Shishak »

No, this is not in the wrong section. For me, the quest for the gear has always been primarily about the jacket. Finally, after more than 20 years of searching, I've found the Holy Grail of Indy jackets. Last week I received a package from Gibson and Barnes, and when I opened the box I pulled out the one, true jacket. This thing is absolutely perfect - no detail was overlooked. Of all the other models I've owned, nothing else comes close. I couldn't be happier, and now, at last my search is over!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

...and now, at last my search is over!
Don't count on it. I'm sure most jacket owners here will tell you that the search for the perfect jacket is never-ending. To put it simply, buying jackets is addictive. :junior: -IJ
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

NO TALK! PICTURES! PICTURES! :D
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I've never heard of Gibson and Barnes. How did I miss them? Or more to the point, who are these people?
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Gibson & Barnes is AKA FlightSuits. They make the Expedition. I'm as pleased as can be with my Chrome Goat Expo.

What leather and color did you get?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Gibson & Barnes is AKA FlightSuits. They make the Expedition. I'm as pleased as can be with my Chrome Goat Expo.

What leather and color did you get?
Thank you, Zohar. Now Flight Suits I have heard of. #-o
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I opted for the goat skin since I just lived through a winter of arctic chill temperatures here. I decided on something a little heavier and that could take some abuse too. I was sent some leather samples in all the various colors, and when I got them I laid them out on the floor in the sunlight without first looking at the labels. The one I liked the best was the dark brown goat skin. And I'm glad I went with this option. I love it!
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Shishak,
I hope you bring it to the next New England get together. I have only seen Westeds, like my own. It sounds like a great jacket and I wish you a lot of luck with it.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

I’ve seen a G&B Expedition in both Seal and Dark Seal Goatskin, and I also own a G-1 in a Dark Seal. I’m also partial to the darker color hides. The color of the Seal Goatskin just seems flat to me, meaning it is possibly a shade or two too light for my taste and doesn’t make the shirts I wear really pop. I understand both Authentic Brown Wested offerings are darker than the G&B Seal Goatskin but I’m not real sure of that not having seen them in person. Of course I imagine it’s possible to darken the G&B Seal with applications of Pecards until you get the desired shade, but then I’ve never tried that either, so considering you just had those small samples to make your decision from, I think you made a good choice by going with the darker color. I love the shade of my G-1 Dark Seal and if and when it does distress, it will only add more character to it.

PS: I do, however, also agree with I.J. that the hunt for the perfect jacket "is never-ending," so you may still have to do some more 'tree shaking' (ooO, I guess you know what's been piped into all the floors of this building all morning) to find that Holy Grail of Indy jackets. ;)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Shishak,
I hope you bring it to the next New England get together. I have only seen Westeds, like my own. It sounds like a great jacket and I wish you a lot of luck with it.
When you met Dalexs, you saw a FS jacket.

Shishak... Hope to see you and your jacket soon.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Ren wrote:
When you met Dalexs, you saw a FS jacket.
Oops, I should have paid closer attention. :oops: I was more impressed with his BCF hat!
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Rixter wrote:PS: I do, however, also agree with I.J. that the hunt for the perfect jacket "is never-ending,"
I agree--and I only just recently got my first jacket! It's a Wested Raiders lambskin & I'm absolutely, completely in love with it----but I kinda want to keep this one pristine & have another that I can beat up....... Alack! Now I can understand how some folk here have 5 or 6 jackets!

elstevo
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Yup. I belive it is a "grass is always greener" syndrome. You may have the perfect jacket, but there is always that thought in the back of your mind. "I have a dark brown goatskin Wested,.....but what about that
Authentic Lamb?...Hmmmm. :-k
West
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by West »

IndyBlues wrote:Yup. I belive it is a "grass is always greener" syndrome. You may have the perfect jacket, but there is always that thought in the back of your mind. "I have a dark brown goatskin Wested,.....but what about that
Authentic Lamb?...Hmmmm. :-k
Yep, this board has done it again. It's created another monster, a monster I tells ya! :wink:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Someone had a screen Cap of Jones' closet and there were more then one jacket. To have more then one is natural.
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I actually do have two jackets right now, and I've owned a total of four. I'm completely satisfied with my G&B, so for the time being that's it for me.
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

I own three different Gibson's and I agree they are perfect.
Mr. Bill
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. Bill »

I just ordered an expidition the other day form gb. How long did yours take???
thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thePawn »

My goatskin took several months because they were out of stock. I was lucky they had a lambskin exactly in my size (off the rack) and I received it in a week.
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I just ordered an expidition the other day form gb. How long did yours take???
My size was out of stock too, so I was given a 4 week waiting period and then a week for shipping. It was supposed to ship on March 31st, but when I got home that day, the package was waiting for me! Imagine my surprise and delight. It actually came earlier than what they had told me. Also, when I looked at the invoice, I was only charged 8 dollars and change for shipping. And, not only that, the very next day I got a call at work from G&B asking if I'd received my jacket and if I was happy with it. They thanked me for my order and told me if I have any questions or concerns to give a call anytime. Now that is customer service! I was thoroughly impressed with the entire transaction.
Mr. Bill
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. Bill »

the goat has arrived!!!!!!!!!!!! Less than a week to NYC.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I love my pre-distressed cowhide G & B Expedition (my Holy Grail). Then, I applied Pecard Jell to my pre-distressed cowhide Wested and the color is what I've been looking for all along----yes, a color better than the seal chrome goat, IMHO.

However, although I can't put my Wested color onto the Expo, I have somehow found peace in the midst of it. Now I actually thoroughly enjoy wearing each of the Indy jackets.

I.J.
junior
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Location: Location - the most important thing in real estate

Post by junior »

Joe, if you don't post some pics of that thing I'm sending the German mechanic over to your house.

junior
gradalis
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gradalis »

i just ordered my second flightsuits/gibsonandbarnes expedition jacket. the first one was the dark brown goat. in my opinion, it is the quintessential indiana jones jacket in detail, color, etc. i have no need to look further. but i decided that i wanted a black goatskin version for riding my triumph bonneville. hopefully it will be here in a few weeks.

cheers,
gradalis
Torpedo Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Torpedo Jones »

Great motorcycle :!:
I was between the Trimph and the Harley, ultimately choose for the Harley.
To mount in te her it is usual for me to take a Raiders Jacket of Wested and also WWII Luftwaffe jacket.

Saludos
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

junior wrote:Joe, if you don't post some pics of that thing I'm sending the German mechanic over to your house.

junior
I'm not sure if you saw the pics in this thread http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4875
but the Wested in those photos was pre-Pecard. You can see how light the color was. Unfortunately, I don't have any current pics of the post-Pecard Wested color. I'll have to get to work on that!

I.J.