Christy's Adventurer Worth It?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Christy's Adventurer Worth It?

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I have several well built rabbit and beaver hats that I love to wear. I would like to have a dirty, beat- up hat but I don't have the heart to do that to my custom hats. I am considering buying a Christy's Adventurer for that purpose since I see they are only about $120. My question is whether anyone knows if the felt quality has improved at all in the last few years, especially with the issues of shinkrage due to water. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dr. Jones, Jr.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Christy's Adventurer Worth It?

Post by LRGS »

Hi there. I bought one in 2008 or 2009 and a second one a few months ago. Same manufacturer; very different hats. My take: The older one is made of less dense felt than the current model. It's too early to tell if my new one will be as vulnerable as the old one but, owning around 20 hats, I can say that the new one feels more resilient and has a nice, dense (not thick) felt that takes a dry crease nicely.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Thank you! Did you get them directly from Christy's or duid you go through a middle- man?
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

First one was from a shop in London called Hornets Hats which I think has closed down now. Latest one was from a Christys shop in a posh shopping arcade in Central London that may have been shot lived as I couldn't figure me it again when I went back some weeks ago.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

The joys of predictive text. That said, I quite like this new turn of phrase "I couldn't figure me it again". Meant to say "find it again"
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

For what it's worth, I had the chance to compare the new one in hand with the Herbert Johnson that was in the Swaine Aidney shop in same arcade. HJ more 'tobacco' colour (more SA in my opinion but the Christys is a perfect ably acceptable shade) but the felt of HJ more akin to my older adventurer. I genuinely preferred the new Christys and chose it on that basis, not on price.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

Also, check this out. Same hat but with a blue liner: https://shackletoncompany.com/collectio ... 5367864641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://shackletoncompany.com/collectio ... 5367864641
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I like that Shackleton hat. Too bad they don't make a 55 or 56cm. Just another reason to stick with custom hats or ones I find out and about I suppose.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

LRGS wrote:The joys of predictive text. That said, I quite like this new turn of phrase "I couldn't figure me it again". Meant to say "find it again"
I hate autocorrect ](*,)
LRGS wrote:Also, check this out. Same hat but with a blue liner: https://shackletoncompany.com/collectio ... 5367864641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://shackletoncompany.com/collectio ... 5367864641
Thanks for the help. I'm definitely looking into that. My only curiosity is if the felt has gotten better is if the second- hand merchants/ middlemen are carrying the ones made in the new felt or the old. I have also looked at the advintage Christy. Does anyone know how those tend to stand up to rain etc. vs a Christy's directly from the makers?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Regards,

Dr. Jones, Jr.
LRGS
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LRGS »

You can tell the difference between new Christys adventurer and old if you look really closely at the way the front of the bow is stitched. Close up of the above Shackleton shows that it is a new version because the stitches aren't right at the upper and lower ends of the front bow but are a little way back, leaving the front of the bow standing a little proud of the ribbon. I am guessing Advintage use the new run because I recall a thread where this new stitching method was derided and that the Advintage guys said they could change that for a customer before shipping ( I think). Doesn't bother me. I quite like it.
Update on what O said re the Christys shop: found it today. Still there. 16, Princes Mall, London. Was in the area so stopped by. Funnily enough, I saw two identical adventurers in brown; one with the very dark brown ribbon colour that is more SA and one with a lighter brown ribbon that matches the colour of the hat so if you went that route, best to specify.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

LRGS wrote:You can tell the difference between new Christys adventurer and old if you look really closely at the way the front of the bow is stitched. Close up of the above Shackleton shows that it is a new version because the stitches aren't right at the upper and lower ends of the front bow but are a little way back, leaving the front of the bow standing a little proud of the ribbon. I am guessing Advintage use the new run because I recall a thread where this new stitching method was derided and that the Advintage guys said they could change that for a customer before shipping ( I think). Doesn't bother me. I quite like it.
Update on what O said re the Christys shop: found it today. Still there. 16, Princes Mall, London. Was in the area so stopped by. Funnily enough, I saw two identical adventurers in brown; one with the very dark brown ribbon colour that is more SA and one with a lighter brown ribbon that matches the colour of the hat so if you went that route, best to specify.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot! :clap:
distantpeople
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by distantpeople »

Bates?