Need Help Deciding on my First Indy Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Need Help Deciding on my First Indy Fedora

Post by CalMusquez »

kozmoedave wrote:I said this earlier in the thread, but when I ordered my Akubra, they advised me to get the size up to allow for natural shrinkage that happens over time. I do need to use the foam strips for now (the hat's only a month old), but I would rather that, and have the hat shrink to the correct size, than have it be unwearable when it shrinks, even if that's ten years down the road.
About how much bigger is the hat than your head would u say? Half a size? A full size? Just wondering what to expect.

Yeah I figured if it does in fact run a half size small, then it should fit me really well. If it runs true to size then it's only a half a size bigger than my head. If it runs big, then hopefully at most it'll be a full size too big so the foam strips can still help.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

I consistently got the same measurement when I measured my head, and it came to a 57 on their size chart. I told them that in my note when I placed the order, and they recommended one size up; a 58. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I assume the 57 would fit like a glove now and be too small later on.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

yellowduke wrote:Im a size 58cm head, measured several times to be sure. My Akubra is a 58 but I have had to pad the band with the supplied foam to get it to fit so in my experience they run a little large. My Penman and AB are both 58's and are perfect. I have to question Akubra size advice. Then again your US 7 1/4 is equal to a UK 7 1/8! What is that about?

I'm in between sizes, and the 58 required me to put in padding but after 5 years, all the padding is now out and it's actually a bit tight on my head....
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

backstagejack wrote:
yellowduke wrote:Im a size 58cm head, measured several times to be sure. My Akubra is a 58 but I have had to pad the band with the supplied foam to get it to fit so in my experience they run a little large. My Penman and AB are both 58's and are perfect. I have to question Akubra size advice. Then again your US 7 1/4 is equal to a UK 7 1/8! What is that about?

I'm in between sizes, and the 58 required me to put in padding but after 5 years, all the padding is now out and it's actually a bit tight on my head....
So are you a 57.5?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CalMusquez wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

So are you a 57.5?
From what I recall, yes. (I just moved and can't find my measuring tape) I remember emailing back an forth with Akubra and the 58 was the size she recommended. I also have an Akubra Bogart and an Akubra Snowy River, all in 58. Same issue on the Snowy River hat, I had to put padding in but not the Bogart.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Don't want to hijack, but I really dig that Bogart. Been thinking about one myself.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

kozmoedave wrote:Don't want to hijack, but I really dig that Bogart. Been thinking about one myself.

It's a comfy hat, lots of taper to it and nothing at all like the hats Bogie wore, haha. I wear it a lot. :TOH:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Wouldn't mind having something different than an Indy now and then, even though the Indy-style Fedora has always been my ideal of a Fedora in general.
amaxa4115
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by amaxa4115 »

The exact opposite happened to me. Ordered the recommended size, and its pretty snug on the old noggin. I can wear it comfortably enough for a little while, but I do end up with a nice red mark across my forehead (and a bit of a headache). Thought about stretching it, but I may just hold off and eventually invest in a size-up.
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

amaxa4115 wrote:

The exact opposite happened to me. Ordered the recommended size, and its pretty snug on the old noggin. I can wear it comfortably enough for a little while, but I do end up with a nice red mark across my forehead (and a bit of a headache). Thought about stretching it, but I may just hold off and eventually invest in a size-up.
I actually bought a stretcher having read about shrinkage. I am still waiting on the Akubra to shrink though! Some rain exposure this winter might help.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Careful with that. Can definitely ruin block shape if not used properly. I was told by a hatter those are hat size retainers. Sure you can use it to stretch sweat a bit back to the size but get a good one for that.

:TOH:
amaxa4115
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by amaxa4115 »

Jeremiah wrote:Careful with that. Can definitely ruin block shape if not used properly. I was told by a hatter those are hat size retainers. Sure you can use it to stretch sweat a bit back to the size but get a good one for that.

I'm definitely leery about messing around with stretching. The Fed is a really good hat, but I figure ill just save up for another one in a larger size or upgrade to a penman.
yellowduke
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by yellowduke »

Jeremiah wrote:Careful with that. Can definitely ruin block shape if not used properly. I was told by a hatter those are hat size retainers. Sure you can use it to stretch sweat a bit back to the size but get a good one for that.

Yes it is just for stretching to maintain the size. Stretching a hat to increase the original size can distort the shape and risks damaging the band.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Here's a short but useful discussion from the Fedora Lounge, a site started and owned by one of our past webmasters, MK.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ ... -hat.7513/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's been said by OTHER reputable hat makers that you CAN go up ONE size using a hat stretcher without harming or changing the shape of your hat block, damaging components, or warping your brim.

I have personally done it successfully on many occasions over the years, even with Akubra Feds. Just make sure you wet the inside of the sweatband before inserting the stretcher and upsizing, then allow to completely dry for several days.

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I'm curious about the fit of a fedora. We all measure our heads, etc. and order in that size, but how should a hat really feel on your head? I specifically mean the forehead. Should it leave a reddish mark on your forehead when you take the hat off? Should it be a bit loose? If so, then the wind constantly knocks it off...

Any help would be appreciated. I've always wondered if my hats are a bit too small or if they fit right...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Head shapes are different, as you can imagine.

If you are getting a red line across your forehead, it sounds like you're putting a round hat on a long oval shaped head. That's what I experience, as I AM long oval.

It's not so much sizes that are the problem, it's the head shape and matching the hat block to the head that determines comfort.

Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Hats are dynamic too. Lots of factors here. Sweat drying out or hydrated can be the difference and humidity and hair growing or cut. Personally I like a hat that fits looser so I can always add a piece of felt under the sweat to tighten up just a tad.

And Michaelson speaks truth. I too have heard about the one size up. Sometimes you may have to do this a few times to get the leather sweat to stay in the preferred stretched state.
But still use caution. I have a vintage wooden hat size retainer with a brass measuring strip but who knows how accurate the thing is. I would do small increments.
:mrgreen:
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

So I go to get a haircut and come home to find a (slightly damaged) box beckoning me like the ark of the covenant.

And what a beauty inside!

It fit exactly as I was hoping. Just ever so slightly large. I put a piece of the foam in the back behind the sweat and it fits like a glove.

Wasn't going for any particular look with the bash. Just kind of a hybrid Raiders/LastCrusade. Looks ok to me, but I'll keep messing with it until Halloween and beyond.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Heck of a job on that bash! :clap:

Looks completely natural on you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CalMusquez wrote:So I go to get a haircut and come home to find a (slightly damaged) box beckoning me like the ark of the covenant.

And what a beauty inside!
{
{
{
{

It fit exactly as I was hoping. Just ever so slightly large. I put a piece of the foam in the back behind the sweat and it fits like a glove.

Wasn't going for any particular look with the bash. Just kind of a hybrid Raiders/LastCrusade. Looks ok to me, but I'll keep messing with it until Halloween and beyond.
Did you go with Akubra? I can't remember.
Great pics and great hat!!!
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Yes I did go with Akubra.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CalMusquez wrote:Yes I did go with Akubra.
Well, from the looks of that lid on your noggin I think you made a good choice. :TOH:
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

Very nice! Good choice.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Congratulations! I'm sure this won't be your last!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looks terrific. Good job!
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Just thought I'd let you guys know, my Fed experienced its first rain today and of course held up very well. Still looks/feels perfect.
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Not sure if I'm exceeding my allowed picture posting here. This hat just gets better with abuse. I've purposefully not been too nice to it. It's softened up a lot, sweat has shrunk up a little already so it fits better, and it's gained a lot of character. I've worn it a few days a week regularly since I got it rain or shine and it's been crushed, sat on, rained on, left in the car on hot days, and still looks and feels really nice and solid. I'm not sure if it looks more or less Indy now, but it's definitely more me and I couldn't be happier with it.

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Hat looks good on you dude! Congratulations :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

CalMusquez wrote:...left in the car on hot days... I'm not sure if it looks more or less Indy now, but it's definitely more me and I couldn't be happier with it.
That's the right idea, don't worry if the hat looks more or less like Indy and that it is your own.

Take some caution in leaving it in a hot car. Contained heat and felt don't mix well and you could end up with premature tapering.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff