Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Tyrloch »

Hmmm, those measurements sound closer to a size 40. So it would seem that perhaps chubby armpits were not the culprit. I hope mine comes with the measurements I was quoted in the emails...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yeah, that's no 44... Typically that would be a snug 42, loose 40.
Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harold Steele »

While I can't speak to the jacket's sizing or fit, the photos of Canasta's Liberty BK Relic Hunter looked great.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Oh, totally with you. If that's your size you should PM him and nudge him towards selling it, (since he DID mention the idea himself). Absolutely beautiful leather that will age on the seams with red undertones. :) Mmmmmm, nice.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Canasta,

Have you considered reaching out to Andy at Kelso Mfg about the measurements discrepancy? Because it almost sounds as if you accidentally got a size 40 with a 44 label in it...
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Does anyone have any experience with the general turn-around time for a Kelso?

I was assuming it was around two months.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Tyrloch wrote:Canasta,

Have you considered reaching out to Andy at Kelso Mfg about the measurements discrepancy? Because it almost sounds as if you accidentally got a size 40 with a 44 label in it...

Yeah. Sent an email out yesterday. Just waiting to hear back.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Does anyone have a picture of the RH Cairo pockets? I understand from the website it has "more curved pocket flaps" but I'm trying to see what that looks like. Thanks in advance.

KZ
Last edited by zhund on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

+1 on those pocket flaps. I'm wondering the same thing before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
B
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Cairo version from the BK FB page.

zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Canasta wrote:Cairo version from the BK FB page.

I totally forgot they had a Facebook page. Thanks very much!
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Canasta wrote:Cairo version from the BK FB page.

That looks just like mine, could be I guess. It's so gnarly when it arrived my wife said "What's this one made of kangaroo scrotum" :roll: Come to think of it smells odd too :-k

:TOH:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Gorak posted a pic of the Hawaii vs Cairo jacket. I'm reposting here to show the difference between the collars and pockets.

I personally think the "Hero" jacket has an in-between collar shape between the two here.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

You also might get a mixed bag. My Cairo goat RH (pics on page 16) had curved flaps, but a pointed collar. Looked similar to Canastas.
I actually recently sold my RH because I just couldn't get past the tight arm holes. I had ordered a size down due to quoted measurements, but they were a little bit off. Such a great jacket though.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

That may be the major problem with mine ... the arm holes being just too small, making them tight under the pit and tight on the shoulder top.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Zoltar wrote:It's so gnarly when it arrived my wife said "What's this one made of kangaroo scrotum" :roll:
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Alright gang, I need your input:

I'm going to buy a Relic Hunter and, after almost 10 years in this hobby, it will be my first jacket purchase. Given the quality of the Kelso, I'm hoping it will be my last Raider's jacket, but that also makes the stakes feel really high. With this price tag, I want to get it right.

I'm having trouble deciding which version of the Raider's jacket (Hawaii or Cairo) defines the Raider's look for me. I think the Raven bar/WOS scenes are what I think of when I picture the Raiders jacket. So the Cairo would be the natural choice (especially the collar). However, when I see those more, pointy pockets on the Hawaii jacket I think to myself, "Man, that's what the pockets on an Indy jacket look like."

Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole of this hobby I know that the pointy pockets, really, only exist on the Hawaii jacket and are not even a feature of the jackets in subsequent films. That being said, I'm having trouble shaking them.

The compromise might be to do the Cairo jacket with Hawaii pockets (Andy at Kelso's offered), but I'm concerned the non-SA aspect of that modification will end up driving me nuts down the road.

UGH.

So, help me out.

How did you make your choices (Hawaii, Cairo, Bantu Wind) and why?
The conversation would help me solidify my own opinions and order with confidence.

Help me Obi Won Kenobi, You're My Only Hope,
Bartram
Last edited by Bartram on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Canasta, what did Andy reply about the size discrepancy?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Hey Bartram,
That's a hard choice. I'm leaning towards the Hawaii. It is the more extreme in terms of character, but I think it works well. The wider collar looks pretty cool. I thought I preferred the Cairo collar, but really, I think Wested does that best on their standard jackets. The Cairo collars I've seen on the Kelso jackets here don't have me convinced; they look a little too curved for my taste, anyway. The Hawaii jacket is the first one that Kelso offered, and I think it looks great. The exaggerated pocket flaps match the wider collar nicely.

Also, go the route of Gorak, and ask for the smoothest batch of striated lamb they have. Some of the striations and grain can be a bit over the top. And the grain and texture will only pop out more over time.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Bartram wrote:Alright gang, I need your input:

I'm going to buy a Relic Hunter and, after almost 10 years in this hobby, it will be my first jacket purchase. Given the quality of the Kelso, I'm hoping it will be my last Raider's jacket, but that also makes the stakes feel really high. With this price tag, I want to get it right.

I'm having trouble deciding which version of the Raider's jacket (Hawaii or Cairo) defines the Raider's look for me. I think the Raven bar/WOS scenes are what I think of when I picture the Raiders jacket. So the Cairo would be the natural choice (especially the collar). However, when I see those more, pointy pockets on the Hawaii jacket I think to myself, "Man, that's what the pockets on an Indy jacket look like."

Now that I've gone down the rabbit hole of this hobby I know that the pointy pockets, really, only exist on the Hawaii jacket and are not even a feature of the jackets in subsequent films. That being said, I'm having trouble shaking them.

The compromise might be to do the Cairo jacket with Hawaii pockets (Andy at Kelso's offered), but I'm concerned the non-SA aspect of that modification will end up driving me nuts down the road.

UGH.

So, help me out.

How did you make your choices (Hawaii, Cairo, Bantu Wind) and why?
The conversation would help me solidify my own opinions and order with confidence.

Help me Obi Won Kenobi, You're My Only Hope,
Bartram
Hello Bartram,

I just went through my own decision making process, but I prefer the Cairo all the way around. Nothing wrong with the pointed collar and pockets of the Hawaii, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I checked my measurements at least 9 times and looked at so many photos before placing my order because I wanted to be sure it was exactly what I wanted, and when I ordered I did it with confidence.

As far as mixing the collar and pockets that you prefer, I say go for it! After all, it's your jacket and your $$$ so get what you like. No matter what you do, if you go crazy micro analyzing down the stitch you will probably find that your stuff will never be 100% screen accurate - like lots of people say, they had a bunch of different hats and a bunch of different jackets so it's all relative anyway. Why not mix it up a bit? Good luck with your decision and I hope you get something you'll be happy with.

KZ
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Hey Bartram,
The wider collar looks pretty cool. I thought I preferred the Cairo collar, but really, I think Wested does that best on their standard jackets. The Cairo collars I've seen on the Kelso jackets here don't have me convinced; they look a little too curved for my taste, anyway. The Hawaii jacket is the first one that Kelso offered, and I think it looks great. The exaggerated pocket flaps match the wider collar nicely.

Also, go the route of Gorak, and ask for the smoothest batch of striated lamb they have. Some of the striations and grain can be a bit over the top. And the grain and texture will only pop out more over time.
FFtT, this is so helpful. I would not have thought about the striations, but you're right: The thing I love about Gorak's jacket is the grain of the leather and how it wears. Ok, we'll at least that's one decision down;)

You also make a compelling point about the exaggerated pockets matching a more "exaggerated" collar. Certainly on jackets like Baldwyn's and others I've seen on this thread, the collar doesn't look out of place. I guess I'm worried might look like disco Indy on my neck, you know. Maybe that's why I like the more, conservative, Cairo collar? Do you have your Hawaii yet? How do you like the collar? Has anyone measured the difference between the two? Maybe I'm making more of it than is there.

Thanks again. This is all helping.
B
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

zhund wrote: Hello Bartram,

I just went through my own decision making process, but I prefer the Cairo all the way around. Nothing wrong with the pointed collar and pockets of the Hawaii, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I checked my measurements at least 9 times and looked at so many photos before placing my order because I wanted to be sure it was exactly what I wanted, and when I ordered I did it with confidence.

As far as mixing the collar and pockets that you prefer, I say go for it! After all, it's your jacket and your $$$ so get what you like. No matter what you do, if you go crazy micro analyzing down the stitch you will probably find that your stuff will never be 100% screen accurate - like lots of people say, they had a bunch of different hats and a bunch of different jackets so it's all relative anyway. Why not mix it up a bit? Good luck with your decision and I hope you get something you'll be happy with.

KZ
KZ, this is also such a good word. SA is a moving target anyway, and I need to love it...even if it's more my "notion" of the jacket than the most accurate one there is. When I think about the gear I love most, it's usually because that piece captures, what I consider to be, the essence of my notion of the piece.

That needs to be honored.

Thanks man,
B
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Tyrloch wrote:Canasta, what did Andy reply about the size discrepancy?

Tryloch, Here is what Andy said.

"If the jacket is restricting you might need larger size.
In some fit photo of you that we have seen looks like an excellent fit.
..... Suggestion for the shoulder/pit issue is wear the jacket more and
as it will break in and become softer it will stop bothering you."

I agree with Andy. It looks great. However, out of all the 44 jackets that I have had,
I have never had one that restricted me as much as this one. I can't wear a sweater
underneath. That being said ... It has relaxed a bit. But isn't any less restrictive.

When I sent him the measurements that I took, with pics and asked about the possibility of
there being an error, he said that was not possible, as two people make the jackets. One person makes
the exterior, and another the interior, so the patterns wouldn't match up if there was an error.
I was also advised that the measurements I showed were not taken correctly, but no matter
how many times I measure, I can't get the measurements he sent me.

I'll be contacting him to see what I need to change to get a jacket that really gives me everything I need.
He sent me the sizes for a 46, but I have never worn a 46.

The jacket I have would make a nice, roomy 42, I think.
C
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

To Bartram:
---------------
Let us make your choice easier. Please order whichever collar you feel like right now and we will cut both collars (Cairo & Hawaii) and save the other one. So if later down the road you no longer like the collar you chose, we will replace it for free (and of course invisibly without any stitch marks) provided you cover the shipping costs.

To all Indy fans:
---------------------
The managers of Bill Kelso wish to sincerely and wholeheartedly thank you for your kind support all these years. We also want to thank you for waiting patiently to receive your jackets. To all of you who are waiting to receive theirs, please note we are shipping some jackets this week and the next.
kozmoedave
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by kozmoedave »

THAT is customer service.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Amen to that!

Andy, thank you. Thank you so much.

I'll be in touch!
B
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

My jacket just shipped. Typically, how long does shipping take from Kelso to the east coast of the US? NJ exactly...
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Mine got to Illinois in 6 days!
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Mine shipped around tues/wed and is already in Flushing Queens en route to NYC. So 5-6 days assuming all goes well.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Here is my Kelso Hawaii Striated Lambskin. Just arrived this morning after an mini odyssey to track it down in my NYC hood. First impressions is that I absolutely love it, the fit is far different from my US Wings Antique Cow Hero which will always be a treasure. They are two of a kind, and both unique. But this jacket absolutely has the markings of what we love and what is seen on screen. I asked for the sleeves to be shortened, and I think it's a perfect fit for me. Its snug for sure but it is true Indy.

Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Looks good! You know, more than anything else in these Indy jackets, I have found that my pet peeve is the length of the sleeves. My Wested in goat is perfect and it measures 24.5." I ordered a lambskin Wested in the same size and those sleeves were 25!! Even though they were the same size, same everything, the sleeves were just a bit too long for me.

I say adjust the sleeves to however you want them. I am having my Wested cotton jacket altered as I speak because those sleeves were too long as well. It's your jacket so make it yours!! :D
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I agree, the sleeves make all the difference. I matched the length to my USWings Hero and it came out well. There is nothing worse than having your fingers hugging the end of the jacket.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

sharkboy wrote:Here is my Kelso Hawaii Striated Lambskin. Just arrived this morning after an mini odyssey to track it down in my NYC hood. First impressions is that I absolutely love it, the fit is far different from my US Wings Antique Cow Hero which will always be a treasure. They are two of a kind, and both unique. But this jacket absolutely has the markings of what we love and what is seen on screen. I asked for the sleeves to be shortened, and I think it's a perfect fit for me. Its snug for sure but it is true Indy.

Looks good on ya!

B
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Anyone have the weathered lambskin?
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Shark boy, your jacket looks stunning, very jealous.
I was wondering what size you went with.

I've been trying to get some measurement from someone who has a 40R, but they have gotten back to me so I'm hoping yours is also a 40R.

Nice lookin jacket.

Croft :mrgreen:
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Thanks guys! My jacket is a 38R. It fits very true to size, so if you want a sleek fit go with your usual jacket size.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I have a 40R that should be arriving in another day or 2. The only alterations I made were 1 inch longer in the back and 1 inch shorter on the sleeves...
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Sharp looking jackets all around. That Hero is a great jacket too, Hector.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

sharkboy wrote:Thanks guys! My jacket is a 38R. It fits very true to size, so if you want a sleek fit go with your usual jacket size.
That's weird, because I feel like the jacket (and I think Andy has said so) is a fuller cut, not sleek at all, which is for the most part, what I see on the screen. My former Tony Nowak jacket was the same.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I would say that after wearing it non-stop for a couple days I can agree with you. It fits high on the waist but boxy around the midsection. I am loving this jacket.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

As noted before, my Liberty HH is way to tight for a 44.
I will be sending mine back, or selling it.
I'll be getting another, just one that fits.

C
medium22
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by medium22 »

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a relic hunter, but wondering. If my chest size is 44 inches, should I go with size 44R or 42R?
Thanks for any help.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

medium22 wrote:Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a relic hunter, but wondering. If my chest size is 44 inches, should I go with size 44R or 42R?
Thanks for any help.
Maybe check the pit to pit measurement of a jacket you like the fit of and see how that compares to the 42 or 44 jacket?

I have a 44 chest and ordered a 44R myself.
medium22
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by medium22 »

zhund wrote:

Thanks for any help.
Maybe check the pit to pit measurement of a jacket you like the fit of and see how that compares to the 42 or 44 jacket?

Thanks for the info Zhund.
How is the fit on you? Is it snug fit or baggy fit?
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

medium22 wrote:
zhund wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the info Zhund.
How is the fit on you? Is it snug fit or baggy fit?
I don't have it yet, but the measurement is supposed to be 24.5 pit for the 44. Andy said it was a relaxed fit. I have other jackets at 25-26 that have room for a layer, so I think I'm safe with 24.5.
medium22
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by medium22 »

Thanks zhund
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Relic Hunter ordered! Hawaii style. Clock ticking...
I can't wait!
medium22
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by medium22 »

Congrats Bartram! I also just pulled the trigger and ordered a relic hunter myself. "Cairo" style. I took a risk and ordered a size 42R with no adjustments for my
44 inch chest. Just hoping the fit will be good. Now the wait begins. Thanks to everyone in this thread as I read through it three times along with looking at all the pics. I can't wait till it arrives.
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

I got a tracking # on 4 Nov, anyone know transit time to east cost from their experience? Last update is when it left Greece shortly after shipping, crickets since then...
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

My turnaround time to NYC was about 5 days from Greece to arriving in NYC. Doesn't seem terribly long so hopefully you'll hear something in the next couple days. Unfortunately I had no luck getting updates until it arrived in US.