New WPG bags?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New WPG bags?

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Have you guys been to the WPG site lately and seen the upcoming improvements to thier Indy bags? Looks very promising indeed...
http://www.whatpriceglory.com/mkviibag.html
Corbin
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Corbin »

I have a lighter WPG bag right now, but I'll have to think about investing in one of those new ones when they are available. The photo looks pretty darn good to me!
Last edited by Corbin on Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Interesting about the new bag, but is this old news or did I miss it posted somewhere else? The link also mentions: “Coming Soon To This Website”: The Indiana Jones Shirt, with further details coming later.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Wow!!

I'm pretty interested in these new bags indeed!! :D I just hope that they aren't "too" much money. Also, I am VERY interested in hearing about this new Indy shirt!!
Jerry at W.P.G. seems to be taking "screen-accuracy" seriously, so this will be interesting to watch as things unravel in the upcoming weeks. Thank you for posting this info and for the heads up! :D

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I have an old WPG as well- I'd be in for a new WPG if I can't get a hold of an original MKVII in good condition soon.
Looks like they also got the Chicago screws right on this- but the leather strap looks a bit odd.
I prefer a leather strap that is dark on the other side as well- this one looks very light.

I wonder if the disc is any different on this one...

Anyways- it's a huge improvement! :-)
They are a good bag indeed.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

This looks good - I often wondered why the WPG bag came with such a naff leather strap in the first place!

But I'm happy with my 'old' WPG bag and Keppler strap, so I'll be sticking with that (until it gets burned up by sankara stones or something).

A man should only have so many bags I feel. :wink:
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

Looks great!
Has anyone asked them about the small loop of string that they left off of the lower left side (If your looking at the front side)of the bag?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I prefer a leather strap that is dark on the other side as well- this one looks very light.
On my WPG strap of the lighter kind I found it pretty easy to darken the other side using shoe cream. (Sounds like something from a horror movie...)
Just let the shoe cream soak in and then seal it with Pecards and I think you'll be happy with it.

Or: http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7171

Regards
Swindiana
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I just hope those odd ornate snap covers are gone. I never understood those.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Hemingway Jones wrote:I just hope those odd ornate snap covers are gone. I never understood those.
They are an attempt to look like the original "wavy pattern" kind of snaps:
I agree though, I like the flat ones better to be put on the replica. Luckily, they can quite easily be replaced with brass snaps from your local hardware store. :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

You know, Swindiana, thanks for showing me that. Now I understand.

But I must say instead of replicating the original wavy pattern, as you described, they look more like the buttons off of my old school blue blazer :-k
Maybe it's just too much Catholic school prejudices me against these buttons. :D
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Yes! Now here's going to be another $50 down the drain to INdygear!
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

I prefer my old, lighter color, but that new strap looks much better than the old. Even looks like it has a silver buckle. But, I think I'll stick wiht my old one, and just refurbish the strap.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Which snaps are more screen accurate?? I always thought Indy had the snaps with the little designs on them.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

IndyBlues - as they used authentic WWII bags in the production, the buttons would have been the originals as shown above (with the lesser 'pattern' or ridges).
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

ob1al wrote:IndyBlues - as they used authentic WWII bags in the production, the buttons would have been the originals as shown above (with the lesser 'pattern' or ridges).
Possibly, but I have a mint unissued bag from 1942, with the designs on the snaps, and I have an unissued W&G bag1943, without the design, just smooth buttons.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yes, they do come in all colours and shapes... almost. :wink:

Regards,
Swindiana
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Swindiana your expert knowledge on these bags never ceases to amaze me! A pic for every occassion!

IndyBlues - interesting, I didn't know that! I would have assumed all the buttons were standard - now the question is, can anyone find a still from Raiders close enough to see the design of Indy's buttons? :?
mechinyun
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mechinyun »

Hey guys, im thinking of getting a MK bag from whatpriceglory.com, does anyone have one of the NEW bags? Is material quality and workmanship IDENTICAL to the original? I like the darker green color, but im on the fence until i get more opinions and more info on the funky leather strap.

Thanks guys!!!

post away!
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

mechinyun wrote:Hey guys, im thinking of getting a MK bag from whatpriceglory.com, does anyone have one of the NEW bags? Is material quality and workmanship IDENTICAL to the original? I like the darker green color, but im on the fence until i get more opinions and more info on the funky leather strap.
Mechinyun:

My first Mark VII was an authentic offering from http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk. It was a bit more pricey, but IMHO, aside from the fact (and probable personal bias) that it was my first Mark VII, it's still better than a new WPG bag. Real WWII British militaria, and in my personal case, used by a real British soldier, complete with his serial number. Color? Close enough for me. I even felt bad removing the original webbing strap to install the leather one. Maybe it's just the sentimental historian in me, the person who enjoys touching (and smelling) history.... :roll: OK, enough musing. Swindiana...your thoughts on the matter?

Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Henry Jones Sr. wrote: OK, enough musing. Swindiana...your thoughts on the matter?.
I agree with you there. I haven't cut a single strap yet though but have always removed the stitches in order to be able to restore it later. I really feel the history of these bags when I hold one and sort of like that musty smell you get with it. I never did wash my unissued bag and can't bring myself to do it, yet. On the other hand, these bags are very functional and should be used I think. A bag in itself is not of much value when it comes to being an antiquity and it still is fairly easy to get hold of one if you want to. They do become pricy on eBay or when they get that "Indiana Jones" label on them. That put aside, they are still only old war material. For me, they have a far greater sentimental value than a monetary one. And I just love them, in a not totally too insane kind of way I hope. :wink:

I'd say I'm with you all the way, HJ Sr. 8)

High regards,
Swindy
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

It appears that the new edition bag is available. I'm going to go ahead and post the link to the ebay auction. Since it's not really an auction and people aren't bidding, I think it should be okay. However, if the link is deleted by the mods, I'll understand since it's not my listing. The picture looks good and the strap is much better. The color of the bag is almost exactly the color of one of the unissued bags I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Shishak wrote: The color of the bag is almost exactly the color of one of the unissued bags I have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
I wish there were more pix of the new WPG bag. I think it looks too green, much greener than the olive drab that I am used to seeing. It could be just the lighting, picture, or other factors that make it apper more green. As Kermit once said, "It's not easy being green."

Indy N. :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I think it looks too green, much greener than the olive drab that I am used to seeing.
If it's anything like my canvas map case (which is somewhat of an Indy bag) then all you have to do is use it. After a while, the sun will naturally fade it and the green won't look so, well... green. :wink: bink
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I mentioned in my earlier post that I have an original, unissued MKVII bag that is almost exactly the same shade of green as the one that WPG is currently offering. As stated here already, this bag should fade with use and have the more distressed look as in the movies.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That is good to know. I've never seen one that color of green either, but now we know there IS a prototype MKVii out there, so we're good to go! Thanks! :tup: High regards. Michaelson
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Michealson,

I hesitated for a couple of seconds before posting the link, but then realized that this isn't really a link to an ebay "auction". The price is fixed and there can't be any bidding wars going on. I figured this would be an exception and people would be interested in seeing the new bag. I guess I figured correctly. The only problem now is that they may be all gone before I can get mine :)
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

If I do get one of these, I will try to post some comparison pictures.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Maybe it's me, but I like my "old" WPG MKVII. I don't think it clashed at all, sometimes I think it worked better than the actual movie prop (color wise). I am having my doubts on the new WPG, and I think after Shishak post some comparison pix, I would be convinced that it would be out-with-the-old, in-with-the-new for WPG. I really wish they had other Pix on the WPG site in "natural" light.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's what I carry, IndyN. I had no problems with the old color, but I can totally understand folks wanting one that looked like the screen version, without having to pay the current premium price for one. It would be nice if he offers both versions for a while, but I'd be surprised if he does. Oh, don't worry about them running out anytime soon. He had a 1000 made this round, and will more than likely make more when those are gone, considering how well this item has sold for him over the past 3 years. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

You got a point, Michaelson.

Indiana Blizzard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Blizzard »

Well thanks alot guys for all of the so called"expert" advise, now I went and had to order one of those darn bags!!!just like you guys to ruin all my anticipation by making me get more gear...well guess I need to hang in the jacket section now(I dont have one of those)....yet.... :lol:
I will let you know what I think of the bag when it arrives.
Indiana Blizzard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Blizzard »

I cant believe I had the last post here, well I got my bag today, I thought it would be bigger for some reason? are the dementions correct for this bag? if someone could go to the website and let me know I would be gratefull, it just seems small to me, anyway the color is great, when it fades I suspect it will be perfect.the pockets inside look abaut right but I can only compair to pics mind you, the stiching is really good the bag feels really sturdy, the material is thicker than I expected which is good,and the strap is real leather but the color is a little off .well thats all for now. :D
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

The dimensions of my new Greener WPG bag are the same as my lighter (1st generation) repro and the same as the two original bags I have. When I got my first original, I thought it looked small too. But it's not.
McFly
Scoundrel

Hmmmm...

Post by McFly »

Well, I know there has been some dispute about the color of the MkVII shown onscreen, and I know that both colors, khaki and green have been shown in screenshots. I don't mind either color, and personall prefer the khaki, like mine, but I think it's good that now we've got more of a choice - those wanting green can get a green... and those wanting khaki can bribe those with older WPG bags for theirs! :wink: :lol: Anyway... I'm glad they've improved on the strap... the ugly orange and brass one really doesn't float my boat... or carry my ark... or fly my plane... or even blow up my flying life raft... Okay, that's enough. :roll:

In Christ,
Shane
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SHARPETOYS »

Well, I know there has been some dispute about the color of the MkVII shown onscreen, and I know that both colors, khaki and green have been shown in screenshots. I don't mind either color, and personall prefer the khaki, like mine, but I think it's good that now we've got more of a choice - those wanting green can get a green... and those wanting khaki can bribe those with older WPG bags for theirs! Anyway... I'm glad they've improved on the strap... the ugly orange and brass one really doesn't float my boat... or carry my ark... or fly my plane... or even blow up my flying life raft... Okay, that's enough.

In Christ,
Shane

I just got mine last week and i called Jerry to see if he had any old stock left which he doesn't. I guess i'll look for that one now.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

A little comparison pic... here's the new WPG next to my M&Co. original:

/SJ
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

You can never have enough comparison shots. :tup:
I guess the snaps are still the same, with the larger "waves"?

Regards,
Swindy
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Swindiana wrote:
I guess the snaps are still the same, with the larger "waves"?

Yep... :?

Before that, he wrote:
I like the flat ones better to be put on the replica.
Couldn't agree with you more. That heavy pattern doesn't look quite right.

/SJ