My First Jacket Purchase

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My First Jacket Purchase

Post by CalMusquez »

Picked it up off eBay for a pretty reasonable price. It's an older licensed jacket from I think either the late 80s or early 90s. Someday I will inevitably upgrade to a wested or US Wings or something, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it :) it's my first jacket purchase and a fine addition to my college student budget Indy costume. I love the natural distressing that's happened to it over time. Also, not that it matters, but it has a surprisingly pleasant smell. :TOH:

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: My First Jacket Purchase

Post by Adventure Dog »

What a great find! Don't forget to clean and condition it well, I've found that most second hand jackets have never been "properly" taken care of.

And as long as it doesn't smell like mold, clorox, or cigarette smoke, I think you're in the clear!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Great find!

Can you provide a picture of the tag? It's likely a Cooper made jacket, I believe they held the license for that time period.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Can you show a close up of the armhole seam please? Does it have facings inside the zipper?
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

I'll post those pics later when I get home from work.
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Here's the tag.

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If it's anything like the one I had, that is a great jacket! Wish I still had it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's a Cooper for sure. GREAT find! These were built like tanks and sold at Disney parks and the like.

If you've been doing any reading around here, Cooper became USW's, so you essentially already HAVE a USW's jacket! ;)

USW's still has the Disney contract, by the way.

TOTALLY agree with the recommendation of giving it a good leather treatment like Pecards to put some moisture back into the leather.

Otherwise, just enjoy it. You found a real gem there!

Congratulations!

Regard! Michaelson :M: :tup:
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Good to know! Yeah I'm pretty new to the indygear scene. Been reading up on the hat for a couple years now but didn't really start looking at the rest of his outfit until I decided to put together a costume for Halloween.

I'm most definitely going to give the jacket a good cleaning and treatment. Picked it up for about $60 so now knowing the maker and how well it fits that seems like an even better deal.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Very cool! Very cool, indeed! Superb find, my friend :TOH: ! You look great in it! W>
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

CalMusquez wrote:Picked it up off eBay for a pretty reasonable price. It's an older licensed jacket from I think either the late 80s or early 90s. Someday I will inevitably upgrade to a wested or US Wings or something, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it :) it's my first jacket purchase and a fine addition to my college student budget Indy costume. I love the natural distressing that's happened to it over time. Also, not that it matters, but it has a surprisingly pleasant smell. :TOH:

Didn't realize Matt Damon was a member here... :TOH:
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Tibor wrote:
Didn't realize Matt Damon was a member here... :TOH:
Well that's a new one.
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Holy Smoke Dr. Jones...seeing that jacket takes me back. That was my first Indy jacket purchase shortly after starting at Disney. They sold them at the Adventure Outpost (Disney-MGM Studios) and Avigators (Pleasure Island) for the princely sum of $350 in 1992. Even though I got a 35% discount it still seemed like an extravagant purchase but that is literally what I bought first with my first Imagineering paycheck.

Great Find and Enjoy...it's like jacket archeology.

Ride Guy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

See there, CalMusquez? I TOLD you that you found a winner! :clap:

Using a cost of living calculator, that jacket that cost $350 in 1992 would cost you in bracketed 2016 dollars around $546.00 to $965.00 to purchase the same jacket today! :shock:

Not too shabby! ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I bought the same jacket back in 1994... didn't realize how much money that was back then. Sheesh. I still have the jacket though! :TOH:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I remember when that jacket came out and the price tag looked like it might as well have said $965.00 Michaelson :lol:

Great find CalMusquez!!! :clap:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzTBEO6R2fY

It must have been posted here before.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

This was the one on ebay right? I was very interested in this one. Its GREAT that the Cooper ( original TofDoom) ended up with one of us!

ENJOY
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

So I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but oh wise ones you know better than I. Would it be recommended to use regular pecards, or with a brown tint? Or some specific pecards product I'm not aware of?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Regular Pecards will be fine. The brown tint will change the color slightly so if you want to darken the jacket a bit.

The regular may darken the jacket initially, but generally the leather will 'fade' back to its original color once the dressing soaks in.

The key to Pecards is to not drench your jacket right out of the gate. Apply a layer, give it time to soak in (generally overnight to 24 hours) and buff off any excess (there may not really be any excess depending on how dry the leather is). Give it at least a month and then if the leather still feels dry, try another application.

Applying a heavy application or multiple applications in quick succession does nothing to help the leather and will only leave a sticky residue on the surface of your jacket that will need to be buffed off anyway. The leather can only absorb so much dressing and any extra will sit on the surface.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I personally favor their product they call 'leather cream', which is actually regular Pecards, but thinner due to less bees wax. More of a consistency of Vaseline. Soaks in faster too.

Regard! Michaelson
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

Michaelson, is this the stuff here?

Pecard Leather Lotion? I can't find any Pecard "Cream" anywhere. I'm wondering if there's a difference... :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pecard-Classic- ... 0179371970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope, though that's good stuff.

This:

https://www.pecard.com/product/cream-dressing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards! Michaelson
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

You all were right about pecards. Wow is all I have to say. This stuff is magic. Just put some on the jacket and it looks/feels amazing. I'll post some pictures later :p
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
CalMusquez
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by CalMusquez »

Halfway through application vs finished. Please ignore my toes peeking through the bottom of the pictures.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

She's coming back perfectly! :clap:

Regards! M
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Terrific! Looks so much better. Based on my experience with pecards, the jacket might fade back to its original colour, and it might not. You never know, and the process could take a week or two
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's true, but at least the moisture will remain in the fibers which is what you're really after when treating a dried out jacket like that one.

Regard! Michaelson
lorne73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lorne73 »

CalMusquez wrote:Picked it up off eBay for a pretty reasonable price. It's an older licensed jacket from I think either the late 80s or early 90s. Someday I will inevitably upgrade to a wested or US Wings or something, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it :) it's my first jacket purchase and a fine addition to my college student budget Indy costume. I love the natural distressing that's happened to it over time. Also, not that it matters, but it has a surprisingly pleasant smell. :TOH:

Very nice jacket, CalMusquez :tup:
Does anyone know how the cooper fits in sizing?(compared to a Wested jacket for example?) Small or tall?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

That is a gorgeous jacket! Many congratulations on the find. :clap:
giantthugee86
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by giantthugee86 »

isn't this the jacket they used to sell in Star Wars Insider magazine?
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I remember seeing a similar jacket at Tokyo Disneyland around 2006 or so. It looks like yours has already been on an adventure or 2 :)