Safair leather wear -- anyone?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Safair leather wear -- anyone?

Post by WConly »

I received the following in an email advertisement for the 'latest and greatest' of all adventure jackets. I am not going to say anymore regarding this, other then I am certainly glad that it is at such a reasonable price point :- ! W>

From Cockpit: https://www.cockpitusa.com/men/new-arri ... 45a688daf0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Safair leather wear -- anyone?

Post by CM »

No thanks - the ostentatious fake distressing makes it look completely try hard to me. I think waxed cotton might look better a la Barbour jackets of a similar design.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

CM wrote:No thanks - the ostentatious fake distressing makes it look completely try hard to me. I think waxed cotton might look better a la Barbour jackets of a similar design.
Agreed on all counts. Yuck.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Yes, it truly leaves one's imagination going, does it not? To me, it looks as though they took a designer concept suede jacket and then took it to a mechanic's garage and rubbed it around in the oil spills on the floor and then had the audacity to market it with a rather high price point! However, I am not making any kind of judgement call here. Oh, to heck with it -- this is truly not cool...not, cool at all! W>
indymassilia
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indymassilia »

..battle 2 world war damaged jacket..maybe to much distressing .. :cry: !
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

It ain't all that bad... though what's up with the giant camouflage lining? :-0
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I love the Barbour/Belstaff motorcycle jacket style, as well as the M42 jump jacket; there's nothing like a classic jacket with useable pockets. But the distressing on that thing is making my eyes bleed! Maybe at half the price and none of the... no, never mind, just too much wrong with it.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

The style is nice. The distressing looks like you've be leaving little flakes of leather everywhere you go.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I just can't imagine choosing this over a real Barbour jacket.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Oh my.

Looks like my dad's old welding leathers.....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oddly enough, we have folks paying BIG bucks for faded and completely ripped up blue jeans all the time. I see this falling right in the wheel house for that same crowd. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Well, can't say much about the leather safari jacket but I do have a nice Flying Tigers horsehide A2 that I got from Cockpit/Avirex way back in 1994. I love that jacket!! I also have a cotton A2 that is hanging on my coatrack in my office right now since I wore it today!!! I like that jacket as well. Very comfy for this time of year...
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson wrote:Oddly enough, we have folks paying BIG bucks for faded and completely ripped up blue jeans all the time. I see this falling right in the wheel house for that same crowd. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Is it not so? W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Charybdis wrote:Well, can't say much about the leather safari jacket but I do have a nice Flying Tigers horsehide A2 that I got from Cockpit/Avirex way back in 1994. I love that jacket!! I also have a cotton A2 that is hanging on my coatrack in my office right now since I wore it today!!! I like that jacket as well. Very comfy for this time of year...
Oh, I am in no way knocking Cockpit and (most of) their products -- it is just that this one was a bit over-the-top in my mind, both in the over-distressing and the price point. Cockpit has some truly outstanding, well made products.... just not to fond of this one. :TOH: W>
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

WConly wrote:
Charybdis wrote:Well, can't say much about the leather safari jacket but I do have a nice Flying Tigers horsehide A2 that I got from Cockpit/Avirex way back in 1994. I love that jacket!! I also have a cotton A2 that is hanging on my coatrack in my office right now since I wore it today!!! I like that jacket as well. Very comfy for this time of year...
Oh, I am in no way knocking Cockpit and (most of) their products -- it is just that this one was a bit over-the-top in my mind, both in the over-distressing and the price point. Cockpit has some truly outstanding, well made products.... just not to fond of this one. :TOH: W>
I wouldn't say Cockpit are an outstanding maker of leather goods. They are a decent, mass produced product but do not come close in pattern design, build quality and fit (it's all in the patterns) compared to, say, Aero Leather or Johnson Leathers. If people want a special Adventure-style jacket I would recommend that path rather than this one.