ELASTIC BANDS SEWN INTO THE BACK?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

ELASTIC BANDS SEWN INTO THE BACK?

Post by chenricy »

I know that the back flap tends to flair out and this is a problem that most guys here have to deal with. I also hear that the movie makers sewn some kind of elastic bands inside to prevent this.

This is from the film:

And this is the problem I am having (using Holt's pic as reference):

My question is has anyone hear attempted to sew in any of these elastic bands, did it work and what advice do you have?

Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: ELASTIC BANDS SEWN INTO THE BACK?

Post by Michaelson »

These have been standard in historic jackets for decades, particularly popular with Navy flight jackets during WW2.

You'll find them standard in G&B Expeditions, as well as USW's jackets and have always been there. Wested usually does not, but I believe Wested will add them if asked. You might be able to have them added by Wested as it shouldn't be too big a problem.

Keep in mind, the original Raiders jackets were originally made as costume jackets. They were NEVER an 'off the shelf' creation at the time, and were NEVER meant to reflect 'real life' per se, so those bands were never included in that design. They were intended to be worn, then tossed.

Here's an old post from November 2013 with that added information about what Wested does and does not do regarding the strap:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ps#p836006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I locked the old topic so new posts are not added to that 3 year old thread, causing that information to be lost in the shuffle.

Regards! Michaelson
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

The Belstaff Indy jacket has these also
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Ditto Nowak CS

Peter at Wested might be able to have this done for you by request.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

My G&B Expo has the elastic straps, but I've had a couple of USW Legends and they did not.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Interesting, Jeff. With the exception of my cloth USW, all mine have, and do. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:Interesting, Jeff. With the exception of my cloth USW, all mine have, and do. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
From what I gather on the older post it seemed that a lot of the recommendations were to just 'break the leather in' to eliminate that "flying squirrel" look. Since you guys have the straps, are they worth the effort to have them added to a jacket you already have IYHO?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They are worth the effort, yes. There's nothing to break in when they're installed.

Regard! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I stand corrected, I double checked my Roo Legend and there is a band.

If you are thinking of getting a band installed, check with Arrow Fabricare. They have a great reputation and did a bang-up job on a jacket for my Bride at a very reasonable cost. Installing the bands shouldn't be that big of a job so I'm sure they would give a fair price.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

All my Westeds had the elastic band, both OTR and custom. I actually installed 2 additional bands in my last one. From memory I unpicked the stitching on the liner at the bottom of the back panel to allow access, stitched in two additional tighter bands down the length of the back and slip stitched the liner back to the leather. Job done and the pleats looked better. Any competent alteration shop should be able to do it.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Another way to get into the lining on a Wested is to turn the jacket inside out and examine the seams on the sleeves, one of them is stitched on the outside, this is where it was originally open, jackets are constructed inside out.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

hovitos loincloth wrote:All my Westeds had the elastic band, both OTR and custom. I actually installed 2 additional bands in my last one. From memory I unpicked the stitching on the liner at the bottom of the back panel to allow access, stitched in two additional tighter bands down the length of the back and slip stitched the liner back to the leather. Job done and the pleats looked better. Any competent alteration shop should be able to do it.
Do they go vertical underneath the shoulder blades and connect to each other? When you say down the length of the back that sounds horizontal and I am wondering how that works.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:They are worth the effort, yes. There's nothing to break in when they're installed.

Regard! M
That's what i wanted to hear! Mucho appreciated!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Image :tup:
Ride Guy
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ride Guy »

Does the BK Relic Hunter have these?

Ride Guy
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

No.

As an accurate Raider's repro, they shouldn't. Maybe Bill Kelso Mfg can do them by request?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's the question you need to answer yourself....do you want a screen accurate jacket, or a functional jacket. =;

You can get either, but.....choose wisely. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:That's the question you need to answer yourself....do you want a screen accurate jacket, or a functional jacket. =;

You can get either, but.....choose wisely. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
](*,)

See this is the killer lol!

Ok, I get the screen accuracy obviously, but what are the functionality aspects that I am sacrificing to get that accuracy?

Is the jacket going to be uncomfortable just to have a look that no one outside this forum would even notice? Or is it nothing substantial?

#-o
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I did not like the band on my G&B; I felt like it was always rubbing against my back, reminding me that it existed. I ended up returning the G&B and getting my Kelso for the same price.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

chenricy wrote:
See this is the killer lol!

Ok, I get the screen accuracy obviously, but what are the functionality aspects that I am sacrificing to get that accuracy?

Is the jacket going to be uncomfortable just to have a look that no one outside this forum would even notice? Or is it nothing substantial
It's horizontal across the back, I have one on my first jacket, that's about 10 years old. It's not intrusive, to be honest I didn't realise it was there till a couple of years after I got it! I put it over a barstool seat (like you sometimes do) and noticed the band, and went: Ah ok!

#-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The function of the strap is to keep the action pleats closed when your arms are at your side. You're sacrificing nothing at all!

As you asked about in your very first post, the pleats tend to 'blow out' (to use another oft used phrase here) when you wear a jacket without one, and stay in that position when not in use, as seen in your last photo. These pleats tend to also catch on things when open too.

They serve the very useful function in keeping the pleats pulled closed, but allow them to function as designed when you're moving around.

A truly useful item in the design, and like I said, one incorporated by the military YEARS ago for the very same reason described above....to keep the pleats closed and out of the way when not in use.

As with KT, I had no clue my G&B even had them until one day I was applying Pecards to my jacket and felt it through the lining. I started doing the research, and discovered the history of the strap, as well as the fact all makers who produce mil-spec jackets already PUT these in the jackets as standard design.....and like KT, I did a :shock: #-o

As has been said by others, you can live quite well without them and go on, but you asked the question 'how', and that's the answer.

:TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I occasionally feel the band while wearing my G&B, but not to discomfort nor distraction.

I never noticed the band in my USW which is why I erroneously thought it wasn't there at all.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I like the pleats to blow out on the Raiders jacket. One of the things that is so endearing about the design is it is less tailored and takes on a lot of different character throughout... Sometimes it's pulled up close to the neck and looks short, sometimes in looks droopy in the shoulders because the collar opening is loose, sometimes it drapes, sometimes it billows in the wind. Admittedly some of it has to do with the different jackets used during filming, but that's the look I like... Not military tailored.

I think the straps work better in the LC or CS jacket as those jackets behaved themselves on screen more. My overall impression of the TOD jacket is of a poor, beaten down, ready for the dumpster jacket (but I still like it).

All that said, I think of straps like a refit of a starship, a classic design made a bit tighter for functional reasons... but I like the original better.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:The function of the strap is to keep the action pleats closed when your arms are at your side. You're sacrificing nothing at all!

As you asked about in your very first post, the pleats tend to 'blow out' (to use another oft used phrase here) when you wear a jacket without one, and stay in that position when not in use, as seen in your last photo. These pleats tend to also catch on things when open too.

They serve the very useful function in keeping the pleats pulled closed, but allow them to function as designed when you're moving around.

A truly useful item in the design, and like I said, one incorporated by the military YEARS ago for the very same reason described above....to keep the pleats closed and out of the way when not in use.

As with KT, I had no clue my G&B even had them until one day I was applying Pecards to my jacket and felt it through the lining. I started doing the research, and discovered the history of the strap, as well as the fact all makers who produce mil-spec jackets already PUT these in the jackets as standard design.....and like KT, I did a :shock: #-o

As has been said by others, you can live quite well without them and go on, but you asked the question 'how', and that's the answer.

Regard! Michaelson
You always make the most sense, thank you my friend.

I will have to see if I can find anyone reputable enough that I trust my jacket to!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

chenricy wrote:
hovitos loincloth wrote:All my Westeds had the elastic band, both OTR and custom. I actually installed 2 additional bands in my last one. From memory I unpicked the stitching on the liner at the bottom of the back panel to allow access, stitched in two additional tighter bands down the length of the back and slip stitched the liner back to the leather. Job done and the pleats looked better. Any competent alteration shop should be able to do it.
Do they go vertical underneath the shoulder blades and connect to each other? When you say down the length of the back that sounds horizontal and I am wondering how that works.
Horizontal from pleat to pleat. The one across the shoulder blades wasn't doing enough to close the pleat properly to my satisfaction.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Think I discovered something in the Indy "bible" (the complete making of Indiana Jones coffee table book). On page 79 there is a pic of the Raven fight and I could swear I see the bands through the back of the jacket.

Tried to take a pic but doesn't come out good enough so I'll have to scan it at work but if anyone has the book I think they will see what I am talking about.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It might be. I'm looking at my copy and I can see the two tell tale horizontal lines you're referring to. That's the right location for them to be.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'll have to check my copy of the book. I tried looking at the screen caps on http://movie-screencaps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and man is that scene dark. You can't see anything in those.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You can definitely see the lines in the photo mentioned in the book.

Regard! M
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:You can definitely see the lines in the photo mentioned in the book.

Regard! M
Wasn't sure if it was one or two so I'm glad you guys see it too.

Definitely helps!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

You can't actually see the band itself here, it seems about an inch wide, but you can see the effect it can eventually have on the leather in the pleat.

chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Wow that's awesome, thank you for the pics. How long have you had that?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here's a scan and crop of the picture from the Complete Making book. I don't see any indication of the elastic band, either across Indy's back nor in the way the pleats are stretched.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Seriously, Jeff? :shock:

I can plainly see the line across the back exactly mid way down, approx. 7 or 8 inches above the side strap. You can even see a slight 'hump' where it pushes the leather outward at the middle crease. That's one of them. The other is more subtle, higher up, and can't be seen in your scan. I can see it in the actual photo in my book, though.

That strap is in the exact same location as the lower strap in my USW and G&B jackets.

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I see marks you mean, I'm not convinced they are due to an elastic strap. Looks like the effect of wrinkles, distressing and lights/shadows. Especially since Indy's jacket flairs throughout the movie.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Indiana Jeff wrote:Here's a scan and crop of the picture from the Complete Making book. I don't see any indication of the elastic band, either across Indy's back nor in the way the pleats are stretched.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
THAT'S IT!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I see marks you mean, I'm not convinced they are due to an elastic strap. Looks like the effect of wrinkles, distressing and lights/shadows. Especially since Indy's jacket flairs throughout the movie.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree this time, Jeff. I find it AWFULLY coincidental those 'lines' are located in the exact same place as straps located in both USW's and Expeditions. I see a strap. I can even see a shadow where the strap is in the middle of the back where the jacket is pushed outward by the strap, not inward as would be seen with a wrinkle. There has to be something physically located under the hide in order to make such a straight shadow line on a smooth surface in that area. You can also see high lights from distressing where that area is higher on the hide than above or below it close to the seam starting on the left hand side above the side strap all the way across the back at that angle.

Just say'n :TOH:

Regard! M
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

chenricy wrote:Wow that's awesome, thank you for the pics. How long have you had that?
No problem, it's now 11 years since I stared out on this addiction.... :)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I'm with Jeff on this one... I see the marks you're describing but the jacket doesn't behave like it has straps. My own theory is that the back panel was of a somewhat thicker piece of hide and the side panels were of quite thin pieces and that seems to have more impact on how the jacket behaves.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree this time, Jeff.

Regard! M

And I'm pretty sure his fedora is grey. ;) :?

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He's wearing black socks and jockey shorts too........ [-(

:Plymouth:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You see a strap........listen to my voice.....ignore that Jeff guy.....you see a strap.....

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hmm, weird. The more I look, maybe, just maybe...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Jeff wrote:I see marks you mean, I'm not convinced they are due to an elastic strap. Looks like the effect of wrinkles, distressing and lights/shadows. Especially since Indy's jacket flairs throughout the movie.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree this time, Jeff. I find it AWFULLY coincidental those 'lines' are located in the exact same place as straps located in both USW's and Expeditions. I see a strap. I can even see a shadow where the strap is in the middle of the back where the jacket is pushed outward by the strap, not inward as would be seen with a wrinkle. There has to be something physically located under the hide in order to make such a straight shadow line on a smooth surface in that area. You can also see high lights from distressing where that area is higher on the hide than above or below it close to the seam starting on the left hand side above the side strap all the way across the back at that angle.

Just say'n :TOH:

Regard! M
I think it's the two light-colored bumps on the right side that goes against the folds that (to me) clearly shows something underneath the leather. It even seems like there is a pinch on the left side near the middle that would coincide with the location of the 'strap' just like Templar's pic.
cybertrek
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by cybertrek »

I added the Elastic straps to my Hero Wested. Here is what it looks like turned inside out with the first strap
almost done. I used vice grips to hold the band in place while I stitched them between the
the gap where the over lap of the seams met.

once finished the vents no longer blow out.
jim
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and there you go. :clap:

Regard! Michaelson
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

wow...great job there! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist