Steele and Jones VS. Kelso Relic Hunter?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Steele and Jones VS. Kelso Relic Hunter?

Post by Bartram »

It's time to buy THE Raider's Jacket and I've have narrowed my search down to the Steele and Jones HERO in Ribby Merino and Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter "Cairo". I'd love some input from the community on the pros and cons of both options (aside from the obvious price differential).

And, if there's anyone who has both and could offer side by side comparisons with pics, all the better!

So, what do you think? Which one should I go with?

I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks,

B
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Steele and Jones VS. Kelso Relic Hunter?

Post by Glenville86 »

I have both and they are excellent jackets. I think the S&J fits me better but it was a more custom made jacket.

You will not go wrong with either jacket.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

I don't have a Kelso I can't compare the two, but I can tell you I have no complaints with my S&J Raiders jacket.

Great customer service, great fit and looks awesome. I did email Kelso first with some questions but didn't get much more than one word answers where Diego went out of his way to make sure I had everything answered and loved my jacket before I got it.

The jacket was the last thing I got to complete the outfit and it REALLY brought it all together, more than I thought it would.

If you go S&J you can't go wrong.

Good luck either way and send us those pics!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have both and they are both in a league of their own......I will do my best to get you some side by side picks today if I can squeeze it in! Right off the cuff, the Kelso is VERY well made, feels well-made and looks well made....
Steele & Jones are very well designed, have many options, and superb customer service from actual fans of the film who understand all the nuances that we torture other jacket makers with...
Both are extremely screen accurate and comfortable and while Steele&Jones can definitely be custom fitted, the Relic Hunter feels custom-fitted!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Here are the photos I took today...excuse the messiness, it was just a quick spur of the moment photo shoot to quickly answer the question....
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ozev0j.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... aty06d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ldzx6g.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried to keep them on the same side as they are in the first pic of them on the ground.
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

It's difficult to decide what color I want in the S&J Raiders Hero . I think I'm going with the "Darkest Brown" but, it would be interesting to hear what color owners of this jacket have bought and why. My limited dealings with Diego have also been great and I have great confidence in him providing superior product.
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

image wrote:It's difficult to decide what color I want in the S&J Raiders Hero . I think I'm going with the "Darkest Brown" but, it would be interesting to hear what color owners of this jacket have bought and why. My limited dealings with Diego have also been great and I have great confidence in him providing superior product.
The jacket Gorak show is our first Merino batch.
Our current Merino is being revisited.

I'm waiting an answer from the tannery, in order to get a batch closer in color to our first offering.
I'll let you know ASAP.

Kind regards.-
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

First, off: thanks to everyone for replying. It was crickets for a while there, so thanks.

I'm on my phone right now, And want to examine these pics on my laptop in full size.

Speaking of size, Gorak, how was the fit between the two jackets. It looks like S&J is a more custom experience, but I don't have a very unusual build. What has your experience been?

Again, thanks everyone!
B
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

The fit was great considering how far away these guys are.....unfortunately I have put on a little weight since then and now it's a little snug! ;) but they took lots of measurements and, even with their hats, they pretty much hit the nail everytime!
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Gorak,

These pics are so helpful. Thanks!

Would you say the scallop in the pockets is more true on the Kelso? It looks that way to my eyes.

Also, what jacket are you wearing in those full gear shots in your photobucket? It looks fantastic? Is that a Kelso or S&J?

Thanks for the advice indeed.

B
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Bartram wrote:Gorak,

These pics are so helpful. Thanks!

Would you say the scallop in the pockets is more true on the Kelso? It looks that way to my eyes.

B
Gorak's jacket it's 3 years old.
We corrected our pockets pattern since then, to make it more accurate.
Cheers.-
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Diego,
Do you have any recent pictures?

Thanks,
B
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »