Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Baldwyn »

The Victory horse is dark seal. It's lightened up over time. The color is quite red in sunlight. Don't get a horsehide Indy jacket if you're worried about screen accuracy, though. It doesn't have the same drape, and stuff. But it's an awesome jacket. I'll take some more photos soon.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Dark seal...you see, they only offer the goatskin in regular seal, not dark. I think this is the way to go for me, not all that concerned about SA or drape, just the cut. Might need to start saving quite a bit more....
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That is beautiful!
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Baldwyn wrote: Image
That thing is pure art! More historically accurate too! I bought my goatskin for functionality and as a beater jacket, but seeing your jacket, I might just have to add another in that amazing victory horse.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Agreed! I was thinking goatskin for its durability, but horsehide is even more so. Not all at too concerned with drape, especially at the cost of strength & longevity. Plus I love that so dark almost black but not quite coloring..
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Thanks Baldwyn, really beautiful. The drape looks pretty decent, really. All in all, I think the ideal jacket for being dragged by a truck. :TOH:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Really nice jacket. Horsehide is my favorite leather for jackets and boots........
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I took a deep plunge and ordered amother Relic Hunter. Went with the Cairo version this time in striated lamb with little to no straitions. Authentic brown with some slight adjustments on the sizing. This should be in some skin that is slightly thinner than that first version that I have. Looking forward to it as I know Bill Kelso will do an awesome job......it shows in this thread. Now to go sit by the mailbox...... :Forrestal:
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Gorak wrote:I took a deep plunge and ordered amother Relic Hunter. Went with the Cairo version this time in striated lamb with little to no straitions. Authentic brown with some slight adjustments on the sizing. This should be in some skin that is slightly thinner than that first version that I have. Looking forward to it as I know Bill Kelso will do an awesome job......it shows in this thread. Now to go sit by the mailbox...... :Forrestal:
Congrats, Gorak! One can never have too many Kelsos, they're such awesome well made jackets! Just curious though, what adjustments in the sizing did you make?
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Photoss wrote:I received my goatskin Relic Hunter a few days back, and it's great! Shipping only took a week from Athens to San Diego. Pics to follow after I work this weekend, and charge my camera! (I don't own a smartphone.)
By the way, I'm still looking forward to seeing those pictures of the jacket being worn, Photoss
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Bdgsi11 wrote: By the way, I'm still looking forward to seeing those pictures of the jacket being worn, Photoss
I am too... :Forrestal: I'm planning on taking some full-gear shots outdoors early next week. (I was planning on an excursion into the wilderness this weekend, but it's 100ºf 'round here!) I'll try to get some quick pics today though!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Bdgsi11- I just added an inch on the back (for 24 inches)and sleeve length at 24 1/2. While my first RH is still great, it sat at 23, and while that is SA, I found that I was just more comfy and happy at 24.....all my Westeds are 24 that I have kept and like. The sleeve legth on my first RH is 25 and after wearing it for so long, I think I need to scale down on it alittle. They are at 25 AFTER being scrunched up and distressed. I wasn't going to ever get another but then they came out with this thinner leather and, being in South Texas, every little bit helps! I have a Wested in the VERY thin lamb that I love but the skin on those Kelso''s are just too scary SA to me!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Yep, my size 38 Kelso was ordered with a 24 inch back, too, and it makes a big difference. I had a Nowak with a 23 inch back and it sat a little too high for my taste. Can't wait to see your Cairo version, Gorak.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Just want to inform our friends that the new batch of leathers is the best we ever had.
It's the right thickness, rich and deep brown, a bit darker than all the previous batches and with the right amount of striations.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

You speak of only the lambskin I presume, how are the colorings/darkness on the latest goatskin and horsehides? I've sent you an email, but I haven't received a response of yet. I continue to wait patiently as its only been over a full day...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

afalzon wrote:Just want to inform our friends that the new batch of leathers is the best we ever had.
It's the right thickness, rich and deep brown, a bit darker than all the previous batches and with the right amount of striations.
As far as thickness, how does it compare to the first batch used to make the original Relic Hunters?
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

It's thinner, more screen accurate.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

When did you guys start using this new batch of leather? I think mine is made from the new batch. To me, it looks and feels perfect!
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Still waiting on those jacket being worn pics, photoss...
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

no jackets from the new batch have been delivered yet
BountyHunter666
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by BountyHunter666 »

I just placed my order on Friday the 10th and received my conformation number for my order. Hopefully it will be made from this new batch of leather. It's going to be a long summer.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

:lol:
I hear ya.....I just ordered and now to just forget and pretend I have ordered nothing ....
BountyHunter666
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by BountyHunter666 »

That is a great idea I will forget and pretend I did not place an order that way I can order another jacket .
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Here's two quick pics of my goat RH, to give a rough idea of what it's like. More to come at some point.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

That jacket looks really nice! I like the cut and the overall look of it. Then only thing I'm not crazy about, and it's probably just me, is the color: I would rather a much darker brown. Do you think it would darken up an appreciable amount if hit with leather dressing? I'm on the fence between the goatskin and the account-breaking horsehide at the moment, and would like to hear they I can get the shade of leather I want without spending nearly $1200..
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Tyrloch wrote:That jacket looks really nice! I like the cut and the overall look of it. Then only thing I'm not crazy about, and it's probably just me, is the color: I would rather a much darker brown. Do you think it would darken up an appreciable amount if hit with leather dressing? I'm on the fence between the goatskin and the account-breaking horsehide at the moment, and would like to hear they I can get the shade of leather I want without spending nearly $1200..
Probably not, imo, unless you distressed it quite a bit. I tested a small bit of pecards on mine (undistressed), and none of it 'took' and I just wiped it all off 12 hours later with no discernable difference. On a related note, I know S&J recently sourced some very dark brown (almost black) merino, so maybe that might be a better bet.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Thanks, but it's either goatskin or horsehide for me, lamb or sheep is just not tough enough...
Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harold Steele »

Hi! Can you kind folks please help me better understand the differences between Bill Kelso's South American and Cairo Relic Hunter jackets? I'd like to buy a Bill Kelso in authentic striated lamb. This would be my second Indy jacket (the first was a Wested, which I love.). I'm really impressed by what I hear about the company! I'd love your advice on picking between the two main Kelso offerings.

I know the differences are subtle and mostly focus on the collar and the scalloping of the pockets. But are there also cosmetic differences in the appearance of the lamb on each jacket, i.e., the Cairo's leather is intentionally selected to appear more striated?

And, regarding the collar, what are your thoughts on how to decide? Does it just come down to aesthetics and which scenes of the movie you like best? Or are there any functional/fit differences that you've noticed? For instance, don't get the South American if you don't want a collar--which is taller and maybe more stiff (?) than the Cairo collar--brushing against the back of your neck on a consistent basis.

As for my frame of reference, I own a Wested standard (non-Hero) ROTLA authentic lambskin that I customized with Hero pockets and gussets. I assume--but correct me if I'm wrong--that the jacket I have from Wested features Wested's version of a Cairo-style collar.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on choosing between the South American and Cairo Relic Hunters and how you decided which to get. (Maybe you got both!). Thank you.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Harold Steele wrote:Hi! Can you kind folks please help me better understand the differences between Bill Kelso's South American and Cairo Relic Hunter jackets? I'd like to buy a Bill Kelso in authentic striated lamb. This would be my second Indy jacket (the first was a Wested, which I love.). I'm really impressed by what I hear about the company! I'd love your advice on picking between the two main Kelso offerings.

I know the differences are subtle and mostly focus on the collar and the scalloping of the pockets. But are there also cosmetic differences in the appearance of the lamb on each jacket, i.e., the Cairo's leather is intentionally selected to appear more striated?

And, regarding the collar, what are your thoughts on how to decide? Does it just come down to aesthetics and which scenes of the movie you like best? Or are there any functional/fit differences that you've noticed? For instance, don't get the South American if you don't want a collar--which is taller and maybe more stiff (?) than the Cairo collar--brushing against the back of your neck on a consistent basis.

As for my frame of reference, I own a Wested standard (non-Hero) ROTLA authentic lambskin that I customized with Hero pockets and gussets. I assume--but correct me if I'm wrong--that the jacket I have from Wested features Wested's version of a Cairo-style collar.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on choosing between the South American and Cairo Relic Hunters and how you decided which to get. (Maybe you got both!). Thank you.
As far as I know, the only differences would be the collar shapes and the pocket scalloping. If anyone here owns both, hopefully they'll chime in.

South America = wider collar and more exaggerated pocket flaps scallop shape
Cairo = narrower collar and more subtle pocket scallop shape

I have the South America version, as that was the first released, but I think I prefer the Cairo style. And yes, the standard Wested Raiders jacket has the Cairo sized collar, while Wested's Hero jacket has the South America sized collar.
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

From Kelso's website:

http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.ph ... ew&prod=23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harold Steele wrote:Hi! Can you kind folks please help me better understand the differences between Bill Kelso's South American and Cairo Relic Hunter jackets? I'd like to buy a Bill Kelso in authentic striated lamb. This would be my second Indy jacket (the first was a Wested, which I love.). I'm really impressed by what I hear about the company! I'd love your advice on picking between the two main Kelso offerings.

Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Photoss, your jacket looks great! I think the color is spot on, but you got to go with what's in your mind's eye, Tyrloch.

My Russet BK has started to darken with exposure to the sun. But I don't think these darker leathers would do the same.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Anyone in the U.S. considering a Kelso (or Wested or Aero, for that matter), the exchange rate is the lowest I've ever seen... Now's a good time to buy... :-
Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harold Steele »

Which style of jacket is Indy wearing in Raiders when he pursues the truck carrying the Ark--the Bill Kelso "Cairo"-style or the "South America"-style? And is the jacket-style Indy wears while hanging from the grille in front of the truck the same style he wears while being dragged from the truck from behind?

I had assumed it was the Kelso-"Cairo" in all these scenes, but, after reviewing old forum threads here and elsewhere which debate the issue for many pages, I am now uncertain. Maybe, with the benefit of the Blu Rays having been released for a long time, there is greater consensus regarding which jacket Indy is wearing in which scenes--or maybe not! Please let me know (and, if you think an old post definitively answers the question, please point me there). Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Harold Steele wrote:Which style of jacket is Indy wearing in Raiders when he pursues the truck carrying the Ark--the Bill Kelso "Cairo"-style or the "South America"-style? And is the jacket-style Indy wears while hanging from the grille in front of the truck the same style he wears while being dragged from the truck from behind?

I had assumed it was the Kelso-"Cairo" in all these scenes, but, after reviewing old forum threads here and elsewhere which debate the issue for many pages, I am now uncertain. Maybe, with the benefit of the Blu Rays having been released for a long time, there is greater consensus regarding which jacket Indy is wearing in which scenes--or maybe not! Please let me know (and, if you think an old post definitively answers the question, please point me there). Thank you.

You'll find some interesting info here: http://www.indygear.com/igjacket-rotla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Harold Steele wrote:Which style of jacket is Indy wearing in Raiders when he pursues the truck carrying the Ark--the Bill Kelso "Cairo"-style or the "South America"-style? And is the jacket-style Indy wears while hanging from the grille in front of the truck the same style he wears while being dragged from the truck from behind?

Here you'll find a lot of detailed info:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.-
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Just was told my RH is in town! Gotta go pick it up!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2orezu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Cairo'on top
'South American" on bottom
zhund
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zhund »

Awesome jackets Gorak!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We know you're good for more pictures, so I'll let the single shot of your jackets hold me over...
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I'm working on it, I'm working on it......
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Your photos are always awesome. No pressure, though...

I really like the smaller Cairo collar, especially since that is the style seen in most of Raiders.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Gorak wrote:http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2orezu.jpg

'Cairo'on top
'South American" on bottom
Is your jacket made with their new striated lambskin?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Ok, my schedule has not been cooperating but here's what I have so far.......
While waiting for this jacket I read through this entire thread and what I discovered at the end was that there is not much new that I could say about the Relic Hunter that has not already been said. In my opinion it most assuredly is the most definitive Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket that one can acquire. Much debate has gone on about the cost but it is well worth it. The marriage of the Nowak pattern with the leathers that Kelso uses and quality with which they produced these jackets makes it worth every cent for a person seeking the Raiders of the Lost Ark jacket.
I have a third off the assembly line South America jacket when Bill Kelso first began producing Indiana Jones jackets. It is a size 40 with no modifications and I just distressed the #### out of it and love it very much. I was intrigued with the Cairo version mainly because of the thinner leather. I live in South Texas where it is hot and humid most of the year and I purposefully wear my jacket as much as possible so I need the thinnest available leather to be able to get my money's worth out of these jackets. When both jackets are together I can definitely tell that this new leather is thinner than the original .....it is slight but you can feel it. I added an inch to the already 23 inches in the back and had the arms brought down to 24 and am very happy with the fit. My first jacket was a 23 inch back and while that is screen accurate it really does feel kind of short so this new one is at 24 and feels much more comfortable to wear. It is extremely soft and buttery right out of the box with pronounced Grain on certain areas but not all over the jacket which is what I like. Here are some quick pictures I took but the jacket has not been distressed in any way and I like to flip the side straps facing forward and just have not had the time to sit down and do that.
This jacket is amazing and I highly recommend even saving up for it as it is very much a treasure.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... fevmzn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ez8whf.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... skdamw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... ge4gbm.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... 2orezu.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe the first and last links have the Cairo and the South American versions together to show the major differences. As always, questions, concerns and criticisms are always welcome......I am havin a busy time right now so please excuse me if I don't respond right away but I will! Enjoy.....
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That jacket and leather looks really good. You're absolutely right, when it comes to the Raiders jacket, it doesn't get any closer than a kelso ;)
Harold Steele
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Harold Steele »

Indiego Jones wrote:

Here you'll find a lot of detailed info:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.-
Thank you for pointing me to this thread. In it, Yojimbo does an excellent job explaining how the Hawaii/South America 1936 jacket was indeed worn by Indy during some of the truck chase scenes, including when Ford is in the truck cab. The photographic evidence seems conclusive: one can clearly see Ford wearing the Hawaii/South America collar in the Cairo scenes--and the jacket matches up with the one he wears in Hawaii/South America.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

The one I ordered in goat came in today. Pretty sure they sent me a striated lambskin - pretty positive since I have never heard of striated goatskin. :lol:

I am not complaining.........Nice leather and much lighter than the previous SL I bought from them. Nice dark brown and feels like a comfortable heavier shirt.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Hey, Gorak, looks great! What's your opinion of the Cairo vs the South America style? Which do you think you like better? The extra inch in length makes a big difference. The new hardware on the straps looks better, too.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Beautiful jackets, Gorak. Which hat are you wearing in those pics?
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I think I really like the Cairo over the SA mainly because if the collar.....I love the flat collar cuz it reminds me so much of those opening scenes and my first imprint of Indy but there is no denying that the Raven Bar collar is so freaking cool looking.
The hat is the Hebert Johnson Steele & Jones Project.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I find the South America jacket is a little exaggerated looking, both the collar and the pocket flaps. And yes, it's the Raven bar that defines the look of the Cairo jacket for me too.