FEDORA DISTRESSING

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

FEDORA DISTRESSING

Post by chenricy »

So here is the problem:

I have a BEAUTIFUL Penman fedora that looks awesome brand new. But I have an upcoming comicon and want that 'distressed' look.

My question is how do I achieve that look without altering the hat itself. In otherwords; how do I get that distressed look but only temporary??
Cajunkraut

Re: FEDORA DISTRESSING

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not aware of an easily reversible method. The short answer is a good dusting/detailing with Fuller's Earth. The long answer is that it'll never get completely clean without professional attention.

:TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

chenricy wrote:So here is the problem:

I have a BEAUTIFUL Penman fedora that looks awesome brand new. But I have an upcoming comicon and want that 'distressed' look.

My question is how do I achieve that look without altering the hat itself. In otherwords; how do I get that distressed look but only temporary??

Fullers earth in a sock and take it outside and beat the hat with the sock. Most will brush off but not all. I can clean the rest.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

BendingOak wrote:
chenricy wrote:So here is the problem:

Fullers earth in a sock and take it outside and beat the hat with the sock. Most will brush off but not all. I can clean the rest.

Finally got the Fullers Earth and trying it out, love how it's coming out so far so thanks for the advice!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You are welcome. I'm always around to help.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

And FYI... Fullers Earths is basically cat litter (or vice versa.)
So if you don't have a hollywood SFx makeup shop handy, and can't wait for Amazon super saver shipping...
go to your local Pet Smart! :TOH:
(But make sure you get the unscented stuff, otherwise you 'll have the entire neighborhood following you! :shock: )
JohnnyD97
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by JohnnyD97 »

Dalexs wrote:(But make sure you get the unscented stuff, otherwise you 'll have the entire neighborhood following you! :shock: )
Cats... Why did it have to be cats?
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

If ya really wanna get in the weeds with it, take a cotton swab or small brush and detail around edges of the hat band with the stuff. Screencaps and the below thread may help.

http://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lost-ark-1981/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ro#p866711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

If your interested in getting some real close screen accuracy, do the soft paintbrush thing with the Fuller's Earth while freeze framing the film.....it will really look awesome!
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Dalexs wrote:And FYI... Fullers Earths is basically cat litter (or vice versa.)
So if you don't have a hollywood SFx makeup shop handy, and can't wait for Amazon super saver shipping...
go to your local Pet Smart! :TOH:
(But make sure you get the unscented stuff, otherwise you 'll have the entire neighborhood following you! :shock: )

Oh god, as if worrying if my cat will sharpen her nails on the hat was bad enough!
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Cajunkraut wrote:If ya really wanna get in the weeds with it, take a cotton swab or small brush and detail around edges of the hat band with the stuff. Screencaps and the below thread may help.

http://movie-screencaps.com/raiders-lost-ark-1981/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... ro#p866711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome pics, thanks for the input!! :TOH:
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Gorak wrote:If your interested in getting some real close screen accuracy, do the soft paintbrush thing with the Fuller's Earth while freeze framing the film.....it will really look awesome!

I have started to use the earth and one thing I noticed is that it looks chalky white. The other pics I have seen has a darker look, do you mix something else with it or is it a different fullers earth color?

Thanks
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I used the regular earth I received from Todd's. That one is slightly greyish.....I don't know if they come in different shades. But either way, it tends to eventually just blend in for me. At first it might seem like over kill but then take some pics of yourself and see what it looks like on film. You can always just brush out what you think mught be too much.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

Gorak wrote:I used the regular earth I received from Todd's. That one is slightly greyish.....I don't know if they come in different shades. But either way, it tends to eventually just blend in for me. At first it might seem like over kill but then take some pics of yourself and see what it looks like on film. You can always just brush out what you think mught be too much.

Oh man I was so hesitant until I saw how easy it was to brush off and start again, love this stuff.