My DM Akubra Adventurer

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

My DM Akubra Adventurer

Post by ninman »

Hi guys,

So I recently bought a DM Akubra Adventurer, just wondering what you think. I've put in the Raiders bash, including the turn, but the one thing I'm noticing is that my hat is much more "dome" shaped compared to the Indy's hat. Indy's hat seems to have much longer straight sides and appears to be a lot flatter on the top.

Here's a couple of pics, let me know what you think.

Screencapped
Vendor

Re: My DM Akubra Adventurer

Post by Screencapped »

Looks pretty good to me. Can you post a photo of it from the side/profile? I think maybe your side dents need to go back a little further. :TOH:
ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninman »

Yes, here's a side shot.

Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Did you try pushing your side dents a little further towards the back? See what that does. :TOH:
ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninman »

anindyjones wrote:Did you try pushing your side dents a little further towards the back? See what that does. :TOH:
I'm too scared to do that in case it messes the hat up.
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Those hats are built like a tank. Reshaping/bashing the hat will not mess it up. I have one that I've bashed in various styles hundreds of times. Just spray a little spring or distilled water on it and go to work. Trust me ;)
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

Btw, your side dents need to go back about an inch further at the top. This will change the crowns appearance noticeably. :TOH:
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

And down closer to the ribbon.

I echo the relative impossibility of messing up an Akubra. I have 11 of them. The oldest is 35 years old. They're tough as nails and one of the best factory hats available. Unlike several other "name" brands even steam doesn't phase them. :TOH:
RJR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by RJR »

Agreed,you can't hurt it.
ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninman »

Hi guys, sorry for not replying sooner, just been on holiday.

So I've taken your advice and adjusted the bash a little bit, pushing back the side dents a good inch or so and moving the pinch closer to the ribbon. The problem I've having is that the left hand side (i.e. without the bow) still looks slightly tapered and dome shaped, while the right hand side looks fine. I'm really struggling to get them to match up. Any advice, or just leave it?

adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

Looks much better, did you followed John Penman's video on doing a Raiders bash??
ninman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninman »

adiemilio wrote:Looks much better, did you followed John Penman's video on doing a Raiders bash??
No, I just did it from looking at photos of Indy's hat online.

Can you give me advice on how to make the side without the bow look a bit straighter like the other side?
adiemilio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by adiemilio »

ninman wrote:
adiemilio wrote:Looks much better, did you followed John Penman's video on doing a Raiders bash??
No, I just did it from looking at photos of Indy's hat online.

Can you give me advice on how to make the side without the bow look a bit straighter like the other side?
First I would recommend starting with this video as a guide, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJKQVCgeZ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From your first pictures it makes me think you started with the sides instead of the crown, for the right side of the hat it seems it's too long back, take a look of the dents from above the hat and compare them, the line of the dent is also in a 35 degree angle, they are usually more like in a 50 degree if i'm not mistaken.

I just rebashed an AB fedora to add a little bit more turn, and I like to take it slow, making sure I verify the details before putting them on the hat, I spray cold water and only on the spot i'm working onm but that's just me, everybody has his way of doing things.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would always suggest putting in the center crease in first then anything else. Once in place make sure in the front the center crease is at 4 1/2 inches and around 4" in the back depending on the brand. Then lightly put in the front punch. Then each side one by one. Tweaking as you go. The big mistake most make is putt the side creases too high. Video should make things clear.
HJJr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HJJr »

BendingOak wrote:I would always suggest putting in the center crease in first then anything else. Once in place make sure in the front the center crease is at 4 1/2 inches and around 4" in the back depending on the brand. Then lightly put in the front punch. Then each side one by one. Tweaking as you go. The big mistake most make is putt the side creases too high. Video should make things clear.
The https://www.facebook.com/video/video.ph ... 196&ref=mf is a huge help. Thank you.