Pecard brown in Europe?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Pecard brown in Europe?

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Does anyone know where to get Pecard's brown leather dressing in Europe? Been looking it up but can't find any online. Only on ebay and all in the US but the shipment costs are just crazy. I can only find some of the brand Rapide here in Belgium but is it almost the same? I'm not sure. So if anyone can help me out would be fantastic.

Stay healthy & keep smiling! DJ
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pecard brown in Europe?

Post by Indiana Jeff »

A complaint of our non-US membership since forever. I don't think there are international vendors.

I know alternate products have been discussed. This is from the Pecard website and I think the closest the can be found to the actual list of ingredients.
Product Description

One of our most popular products. A neutral colored blended paste that cleans, conditions, preserves and weatherproofs all smooth oil-tanned leather to keep it supple, strong and beautiful. This specialty formulated blend of waxes and USP Grade Petroleum products help repel dirt and water from entering the leather where they cause the greatest damage. The oils in the dressing lubricate and plump up the fibers so that they can move smoothly against each other without binding and abrading. Our products contain NO animal fat or tallow, mink oil, lanolin, or neatsfoot oil. May darken leather a shade but not significantly. Not recommended for Suede or NuBuck leather.
The main thing to consider/avoid (though many people will argue to the contrary) are products containing animal fats/oils. Generally those ingredients will attract critters to your leather. Beeswax and petroleum oils should be the only ingredients.

Taken from the David Morgan website
Pecard Leather Dressing
We recommend Pecard Leather Dressing for care of your fine leather goods. Pecard Leather Dressing, quietly manufactured in Wisconsin since 1902, is the unrecognized jewel among the many leather dressings on the market. It is based on a petroleum lubricant similar to vaseline, with additions of selected waxes including beeswax. It is a dressing which penetrates the leather, allows the fibres to bend and move without chafing and breaking, coats the fibres to inhibit oxidation, and helps maintain a desirable level of moisture in the leather. It is chemically neutral, carrying neither salts nor harsh solvents, and does not decompose to form damaging chemicals. With low volatility it is long lasting. It is an economical dressing - there are no volatile carrier agents such as water or kerosene to dilute the lubricant. Pecard Leather Dressing is the dressing used by the knowledgeable collectors of leather items and museum conservators. We offer Pecard Leather Dressing in five convenient sizes: 6 oz. tub, 16 oz. tub, 32 oz. tub and case lots of 6-32 oz. tubs.

The majority of leather dressings are based on tallow or neatsfoot oil. Tallow, even kidney fat, contains salts which build up with repeated dressing and attack the leather fibres. Neatsfoot oil compounds, long recognized for damage to sewing, also weaken and blacken the leather. Both these animal fats provide a culture for the growth of bacteria and fungus, and turn rancid, resulting in further attack on the leather. The more liquid formulations also evaporate quickly, leaving the leather dry and open to rapid deterioration by oxidation and mechanical break down.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

thanks for the info buddy. I ordered a brand online called Rapide. Read some good reviews about that stuff so will try that when it arrives.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Gave my LC Wested a first coating of the Rapide brown leathercare earlier this afternon. Looks great already. Now it's drying outside. Posted a pic earlier on my instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEdxn0SK2ir/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SR5150
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SR5150 »

Give this one a bump...I'm about to order from these guys in the UK.

https://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.u ... olshop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wish me luck. :D
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

SR5150 wrote:Give this one a bump...I'm about to order from these guys in the UK.

https://www.antiqueleatherdressing.co.u ... olshop.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wish me luck. :D
Those guys are the best! Incredibly polite and helpful. Ordered from them twice. They investigated all kinds of shipping methods to find the cheapest. :clap:
SkauneJohan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SkauneJohan »

Doctor_Jones wrote:Gave my LC Wested a first coating of the Rapide brown leathercare earlier this afternon. Looks great already. Now it's drying outside. Posted a pic earlier on my instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEdxn0SK2ir/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
can vouch for rapide leather grease myself, use it both for my forest walking boots and indy boots, great stuff! (only use the clear one though)