Aldens 405's fit

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Aldens 405's fit

Post by Michaelson »

Try them without first, then decide if you even need them.

I don't have any in mine and they're extremely comfortable 'as-is'.

Regards! Michaelson
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dorian.jedi.master »

Michaelson wrote:Try them without first, then decide if you even need them.

I don't have any in mine and they're extremely comfortable 'as-is'.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks Michaelson! As always you're a well of knowledge! After all you are THE "Knower of Things" :TOH:

Thanks again for the info!
Last edited by dorian.jedi.master on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :M: :tup:
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I like the Powerstep 3/4 insert. It's a stiff orthotic-type. And you keep all the room in the toe-box. Lots of support and they last forever.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Illinois James wrote:I like the Powerstep 3/4 insert. It's a stiff orthotic-type. And you keep all the room in the toe-box. Lots of support and they last forever.
Thanks Illinois, I just checked Ups the boots are almost here! I'll try out those insoles if needed.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Illinois James wrote:
Please don't take this post as telling anyone 'You're doing it wrong!' It's just what I'm thinking because I have worn so many ill-fitting pairs of shoes in my lifetime. Alden shoes have basically 'fixed' my feet.

The Brannock device should get most people very close. And a half-size down to me is not out of the question. It's tough to size yourself to a brand when there aren't any retail locations close by.

Also, consider that the boots may just not be right for you. But most people can be fitted with them, I think.

Also, believe it or not, on the Brannock, measure BOTH feet. I'm told one foot is almost always larger than the other. Ususally the left foot is bigger. My left foot is just a shade over 12 D, and my right is just a shade over 11.5D. So, when you receive any shoes or boots in the mail of any brand, try on BOTH shoes before you return them for being too large. Just a thought.

Hope this helps! :TOH:
You're absolutely correct, I just got my first pair of 405's and I have to say they're the best fitting boots/shoes I've ever owned! I have had problems my entire life finding well-fitting shoes/boots. These 405's form very well to my weird shaped feet, they're awesome

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... cud9jt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been wearing the boots since receiving them, and I have to say they support my feet in the right places, and really don't need insoles, even after standing and lecturing all day. Great boots! Thanks COW members that helped me find the correct sizing :TOH:

Dorian
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Cool.
I have a pair of 405s and the 405 cromexcel natural tans.

My back has never felt better after a hard days work. I have to wear a thicker pair of wool socks for them to fit my foot better but it's ok.
I love them. I will say that I can guarantee they were made better in the past because I can't see the uppers lasting more than one resole.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

I'm glad to hear about the members here who are getting dialed-in on sizing. It really isn't easy through the mail if you don't know how the brand runs in size.

The Brannock really does get most people close. I was at a Cabela's about 6 months ago and noticed a frustrated mom trying to size up her son for a pair of boots. I told her to use the 'metal thing' and it would get her close. They began to try to use it, then I had to show them how. (There's a left heel and a right heel! LOL!) They chose the size he measured out at.

While the 405 is made by an expensive factory shoe manufacturer, they really are sized on a last that is roomy, like a work boot should be (I think). Back in the day that meant room for a work sock. If you wear dress socks with no inserts or anything in these you very likely could be swimming in them. I do. But I can't deal with a thin dress sock for more than a short while anyway, as my work has always demanded socks robust enough to last in construction and industrial maintenance.

But you pay a lot for them and want them to last, so it makes sense that many people will want to make them last as long as possible and use them as dress/street shoes. I think those guys often wear their thinner socks with them, and I think that's where MOST of the 'downsizing' camp comes from.

The length of the boot often throws people off. They seem long compared to other shoes of the same size. But it's deceiving, because your foot gets positioned relative to the ball of the foot. And consider how the back of the heel quarter hugs the ankle, which helps positioning and stability over that big orthopedic heel. It's a work boot, after all. It IS big.

Anyway, Aldens were manufactured with the use of the Brannock device in mind for sizing. But some of their lasts are very different from others, and in many cases, you just have to check them for fit, which, again, through the mail is tough.

For my first pair of 405's, I did what many guys said and did order a half-size down, and I regretted it. At the time, there was a member here who worked for an Alden retailer less than an hour away from me. I drove over and he set me straight. So I got lucky! That's why I preach about the Brannock, instead of going by 'I wear this size in this brand, so what size Aldens do I buy?'

My $.02!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well said, IJ. :TOH:

Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I guess. But for me it was the exact opposite. I had to go to the smallest Alden offers. 6D

I have worn size US 7 in just about all shoes I have ever worn or bought since my feet quit growing. With thin socks.

No way on earth I would fit into a size 6.5 D in my current trail running shoes.

But with Aldens the 6D are very roomy without the thicker wool socks I wear.

Guess different strokes for different folks. :mrgreen:
Gambit242
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Gambit242 »

Glad to find this thread. Was thinking about ordering some Alden 405's but didn't realize they ran large..

You guys saved me some grief and floppy shoes.. HA!

Philip
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I would use the brannock devise and go from there. I found they run extremely large but that's me. Others say they don't find them to run large. The truth has to be somewhere in the middle.
In any case, Alden shop if sanfransciso has an excellent exchange policy so if they don't fit the first time they will ship your new pair out even before you ship your ill fitting pair back to them. At least this was my experience.
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

It's funny that now they are breaking in they no longer feel 'a little bit bigger' than when they were new. Perfect fit by ordering just a half a size smaller.
dorian.jedi.master
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I'm wearing my 405's pretty regularly, trying to break them in, and they feel better every time I put them on! Initially, I thought these boots would be great for work, but they're made so well, I'm actually wearing them when I go out, (Never thought these boots would fall under the "hipster" style, as I got complements from some girls today...strange?! :-k ) As far as debate goes for the sizing on these, it's best to follow Illinois advice, get both your feet measured at go by that, these boots are very roomy around the heel and ankle area. Other than that good luck!

Dorian

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... yvt91i.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chenricy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by chenricy »

dorian.jedi.master wrote:I'm wearing my 405's pretty regularly, trying to break them in, and they feel better every time I put them on! Initially, I thought these boots would be great for work, but they're made so well, I'm actually wearing them when I go out, (Never thought these boots would fall under the "hipster" style, as I got complements from some girls today...strange?! :-k ) As far as debate goes for the sizing on these, it's best to follow Illinois advice, get both your feet measured at go by that, these boots are very roomy around the heel and ankle area. Other than that good luck!

Dorian

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h32 ... yvt91i.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No kidding on the compliments! Go good with a dark pair of jeans.
wild_weasel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wild_weasel »

Hello,

I had my feet sized at the Alden Store in Washington DC and measured 9.5D on their "Brannock Device", the sales lady said that would be a 9D in the Indy boot, since the Indy boots are designed to accommodate an orthotic. Without an orthotic the size 9D boots fit my feet correctly. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
W-W