Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Bill Kelso's Relic Hunter

Post by Texan Scott »

Has anyone tried to sell a RH lately? What are they selling for?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Texan Scott wrote:Has anyone tried to sell a RH lately? What are they selling for?
Generally speaking, half of retail or so seems to be the price that most Indy jackets sell used pretty briskly.

I paid nearly the same as retail when orb sold me his, mostly because it was perfectly my size, brand new, and it was a moment in time I had the money and didn't feel like haggling when it could have gotten picked up by someone else. ;)
ltfoley
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ltfoley »

Hey guys, i'm thinking about selling mine. HF size, 40, distressed grainy lamb. i maybe taking offers soon... Anyone interested?
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Pulled the trigger on one of these after all the great recommendations.

This is the first time I have paid over 800 dollars for any clothing item....... :|
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Glenville86 wrote:Pulled the trigger on one of these after all the great recommendations.

This is the first time I have paid over 800 dollars for any clothing item....... :|
You won't regret it!

It's a gorgeous jacket

Congrats
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yes, and I'm sure it's personal taste, but Kelso's smell fantastic- very rich leather smell. Oh so nice :TOH:
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Glenville86 wrote:Pulled the trigger on one of these after all the great recommendations.

In my opinion, the Kelso is the best replica Raiders jacket ever made. $800 is a stupid amount of money for a jacket, but once you get over it (and you will), you won't hesitate to wear it nearly everywhere you go. Also, as to price, keep in mind there are other high end niche market leather shops, like Aero and Good Wear, that have really jacked up their prices these last few years, well over the thousand dollar mark. Kelso's workmanship and leathers are every bit as good.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

One of the biggest things I love about my Relic Hunter is the quality of the jacket in terms of how well it seems put together. I have had Flightsuits and other high end makers who are known for their durability and Kelso leathers are right up there. I cannot explain it but just feels very well put together especially when bunched in with my other jackets.....
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

My BK Relic Hunter in striated lambskin came today. Just had a chance to try it on at lunch before putting it in the truck and going back to work. My very quick observations is the length is good and the leather is very nice. I have big upper arms and the jacket upper arms and smaller armholes are a snug fit. Not tight but snug. A thin shirt will be needed with the jacket. This is the same with my Wested Hero Jacket. Will get more of a chance to look it over later.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Glenville86 wrote:

My BK Relic Hunter in striated lambskin came today. Just had a chance to try it on at lunch before putting it in the truck and going back to work. My very quick observations is the length is good and the leather is very nice. I have big upper arms and the jacket upper arms and smaller armholes are a snug fit. Not tight but snug. A thin shirt will be needed with the jacket. This is the same with my Wested Hero Jacket. Will get more of a chance to look it over later.
Cool. Looking forward to your impressions. Hope the fit works out. :TOH:
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

After wearing the jacket a couple days and getting used to the fit, I like it. Fits in the shoulder area like a suit jacket but has seemed to relax some after wear. Have already received compliments from a couple of friends who immediately identified the jacket as being upper end. It is a keeper and given the price will get buried in it to get the ultimate wear out of it. ;)
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Just picked up this Kelso South America 1936. This is the Raiders jacket! So happy :TOH:

Drifter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Drifter »

That looks so much better on you than me! What a great fit!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

My grandparents had a table like that, with the swoopy legs. Those are leaves that pull out from the sides, right?
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

Digging the green cords! Funny, I just picked up a pair yesterday thinking how good they'd look with some Aldens and an Indy jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Bogie1943 wrote:Just picked up this Kelso South America 1936. This is the Raiders jacket! So happy :TOH:

That jacket looks terrific on you. Congrats! :TOH:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Thanks guys! I really love this jacket. I've hardly taken it off haha. This striated lamb is very impressive. Perfect weight and drape. The texture is soft with the perfect amount of striation for my taste.

Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

davidd wrote:My grandparents had a table like that, with the swoopy legs. Those are leaves that pull out from the sides, right?
Yes it does have leaves! We got a great deal on it. Perfect for our little kitchen. My wife's decorating skills are top notch!

Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

BTW, Bill Kelso is now offering a new model of the Relic Hunter: the "Prototype" AKA Bantu Wind jacket.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Interesting. The Bantu Wind sequences were the first shot after all. That one is certainly part of the jacket mythos.

Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Perhaps the folks at Bill Kelso could post some pics of this new Bantu Wind jacket here?

Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Bogie1943 wrote:Perhaps the folks at Bill Kelso could post some pics of this new Bantu Wind jacket here? Image

I got the first one they made. Give me some time and I'll post a few :TOH:
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

I'm not a jacket expert by any means, but after 4 jackets (2 of them BK) this is the perfect one for me: drape, fit, color et all

According to Bill Kelso info:

Bill Kelso Relic Hunter "Bantu Wind"

Size 40
pit to pit 22.5
shoulders 20
back 23
sleeve 25.5

The differences with the regular Relic Hunter are:

-Lower yoke seam
-Different construction action back pleat
-Two piece underarm gussets
-Smaller size (TYPE A-2 size) pockets, placed higher
-Different shape pocket flaps
-Different construction side straps
-Different stitching details
-Improved screen accurate side strap buckles.

As mentioned the prototype jacket was the first one made for the movie.

It is the same one distressed by Deborah Nadoolman.

It was worn by Harrison Ford in the first scene of the movie shot i.e. the boarding of m/v Bantu Wind and later by all the stuntmen in other scenes. It also formed the basis upon which they designed and made the jacket for the Temple of Doom movie.

It is a jacket of historical significance and is very much appreciated by all Indy fans.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

A little easier to see the details here.

TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

So this jacket you have is the "Bantu Wind" jacket correct? Because it looks like the standard jacket, not the Bantu Wind one.

Or is yours the standard Relic Hunter?

Looks like you had the waist tapered too, which looks good.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

TheExit148 wrote:So this jacket you have is the "Bantu Wind" jacket correct? Because it looks like the standard jacket, not the Bantu Wind one.

Or is yours the standard Relic Hunter?

Looks like you had the waist tapered too, which looks good.
The lower yoke, and the lined up yoke/sleeve seam are unique (in Raiders' terms) to the Bantu Wind jacket.
Paul_B
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Paul_B »

This jacket looks amazing! A bit out of my price range however...
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I'm about to order a RH in goatskin and wanted to ask you guys who have jackets a question or 2. Do these have a similar cut like the Hero where the collar hangs away from the neck? And are you guys ordering the back length any shorter than you normally do because of this? How much customization has anyone given them as far as specs, or is none needed? My only possible alterations would possibly be back length and sleeve length - 25.5" on a size 40R is a bit long for me I think ...
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The back of the collar on the BK Relic Hunter does not hang back as dramatically as it did on my Nowak Raiders. I typically like a 25 inch back length on my standard jacket, and my Relic Hunter has a 24 inch back length and seems just perfect. So, maybe shave an inch off the back length from your usual measurement. My jackets are size 38, by the way. I'd be excited to see a goatskin Relic Hunter!
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Thanks for the reply! I don't have any experience with Nowak's, I missed the boat on those. Is there anyone who can compare a Wested Hero to a RH? I actually still have the Hero here, so I'd like to hear how the RH would be/fit differently...

Also, if anyone could commen on the flying squirrel effect, or if the jacket comes up around your ears if you raise your arms, or the lack of these strange phenomenon, that would be of tremendous help!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

As an owner Wested, Nowak and BK, I can tell you that the BK is every bit the jacket the Nowak is. As for the Wested Hero vs BK, go with the BK. The Wested doesn't even compare.

:TOH:

Kyle
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Of all the RH owners, only 2 replies? Positive or negative, let's hear what you guys have to say! BTW, thanks to you who did offer their opinions...:)
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have both. A hero in goat and the BK. The BK is a better jacket by far but it should be better considering the price difference. Funny thing is I like my S&J SL jacket as much as the BK.

My BK does not have a flying squirrel effect. When I ordered it, just gave them my normal chest, arm and back length. It came out fine but is slightly long in the back. I would rather have slightly longer than shorter. I like the backs on my jackets to be 2-3 inches below my belt. Really nice leather they use on the Relic Hunter.

If you were only going to have one or two Indy jackets, the BK is excellent. I have many jackets (S&J, Wested, BK, G&B) and rotate them. No chance any of them will get worn out in my lifetime. I am also not really hung up on SA that much. I have jackets, Alden boots and too many fedora hats but don't go any further with gear.

So IMHO, if you are not going to end up with a bunch of jackets like me, the BK is a solid buy and looks great.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Once again, thanks for replying. What's everyone's opinion on their standard sizing as far as sleeve and back length? Did you find that they were good as is, or did to need to add or subtract to their measurements? Andy from Kelso Mfg. told me that a 40R has a back length of 23" and a sleeve length of 25.5". I normally order a back length of 24" & sleeves 24" or maybe 24.5". Altering their standard measurements makes the jacket non-returnable, so I'd like to be sure that I should be adding to the back length before doing so. Has anyone found that adding made the back too long? And to long to be SA or too long in general. I'm actually not all that obsessed with SA, so I'd actually like it a bit longer than what's seen in the films...
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Tyrloch wrote:Once again, thanks for replying. What's everyone's opinion on their standard sizing as far as sleeve and back length? Did you find that they were good as is, or did to need to add or subtract to their measurements? Andy from Kelso Mfg. told me that a 40R has a back length of 23" and a sleeve length of 25.5". I normally order a back length of 24" & sleeves 24" or maybe 24.5". Altering their standard measurements makes the jacket non-returnable, so I'd like to be sure that I should be adding to the back length before doing so. Has anyone found that adding made the back too long? And to long to be SA or too long in general. I'm actually not all that obsessed with SA, so I'd actually like it a bit longer than what's seen in the films...
My jacket is actually getting altered as we speak. I sent it back to Andy @ BK and I'm having him shorten the sleeves and narrow the width of them. Other than that, I think the measurements are good as is.

:TOH:

Kyle
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Does the jacket come with an inside pocket?
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Canasta wrote:Does the jacket come with an inside pocket?
Yes it does :TOH:

BTW I have a few Wested & BK RH and the Relic Hunter is better by far. Belongs to another league ;)
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Thanks, Duck.
I am getting ready to purchase one in their Liberty HH.

C
Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Duck9000 »

Canasta wrote:Thanks, Duck.
I am getting ready to purchase one in their Liberty HH.

C
My pleasure! :TOH: You won't be disapointed with BK ;)
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Just read through the whole thread; are there any pictures/reviews of a Relic Hunter in goat? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for outdoor and camping use. Any thoughts of yay or nay on that?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

If 23" is standard on the size 40 BK Relic Hunter, I vote for adding the extra inch in back. The fellow I picked up my Relic Hunter from added an extra inch in length when he ordered it, and I'm glad he did. I'm 5' 10" and I find the 24" back length suits me perfectly.
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Just got me a new Kelso. This striated lambskin is unbelievably soft, strong and just absolutely beautiful! Thanks Andy :tup:

Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Just got me a new Kelso. This striated lambskin is unbelievably soft, strong and just absolutely beautiful! Thanks Andy :tup:

Hey Bdgsi11, your Kelso looks fantastic! I was just curious: How long did it take for your order to be completed? Thanks!
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Photoss wrote:
Hey Bdgsi11, your Kelso looks fantastic! I was just curious: How long did it take for your order to be completed? Thanks!
Thanks, Photoss. I placed the order on November 24 and didn't receive it until today, March 14. Trust me, it's worth the wait. ;)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

:clap: :clap:

Perfect fit! No other Indy jacket needed for you, sir! Has the strap hardware changed?
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Ugh I want to get a Kelso Relic Hunter so bad, but the CDN to Pound exchange is terrible!
May need to sell my Nowak Raiders jacket again to come up with the funds.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:The back of the collar on the BK Relic Hunter does not hang back as dramatically as it did on my Nowak Raiders. I typically like a 25 inch back length on my standard jacket, and my Relic Hunter has a 24 inch back length and seems just perfect. So, maybe shave an inch off the back length from your usual measurement. My jackets are size 38, by the way. I'd be excited to see a goatskin Relic Hunter!
I absolutely hated the way the back of my collar hung back on my Nowak. It's not so much that it does, but the crease pointed backwards too. My wife was like, "When it rains, the water is going to go straight down your back." I said something about having a fedora on. But in the end...as always...she was right. I worried incessantly about it on the BK Relic Hunter, and mailed Andy so many times, I think he started getting impatient. In the end, I went with off the shelf measurements, no tweaking...(especially with the back length!) and I couldn't be happier. The jacket is the real deal.

I have two! One in Victory horsehide, and one in striated lamb. I have no Indy jacket lust, any longer. The problem is, I now have Bill Kelso jacket lust...
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Forrest For the Trees wrote::clap: :clap:

Perfect fit! No other Indy jacket needed for you, sir! Has the strap hardware changed?
The buckles have changed slightly.....

Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Ooh. I like the new buckles. That's the only thing I don't like about my Kelso jacket, those wide buckles. Probably no practical way to switch them out, huh?
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Baldwyn wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:The back of the collar on the BK Relic Hunter does not hang back as dramatically as it did on my Nowak Raiders. I typically like a 25 inch back length on my standard jacket, and my Relic Hunter has a 24 inch back length and seems just perfect. So, maybe shave an inch off the back length from your usual measurement. My jackets are size 38, by the way. I'd be excited to see a goatskin Relic Hunter!
I absolutely hated the way the back of my collar hung back on my Nowak. It's not so much that it does, but the crease pointed backwards too. My wife was like, "When it rains, the water is going to go straight down your back." I said something about having a fedora on. But in the end...as always...she was right. I worried incessantly about it on the BK Relic Hunter, and mailed Andy so many times, I think he started getting impatient. In the end, I went with off the shelf measurements, no tweaking...(especially with the back length!) and I couldn't be happier. The jacket is the real deal.

I have two! One in Victory horsehide, and one in striated lamb. I have no Indy jacket lust, any longer. The problem is, I now have Bill Kelso jacket lust...
I'm with you. The back of the collar on the Nowak Raiders hung back way too far. The Kelso jacket gets it just right.