Back into a Wested!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indydawg

Back into a Wested!

Post by Indydawg »

Well...I've gone and done it. I'm going to try a Wested again. Found one on their clearance page that was just a GORGEOUS Italian cowhide, warm russet coloring, just beautiful in the pics...size 42...hope it fits alright! Probably will be just a TAD large, but I can live with that with this leather...wish me luck, guys!!!

Just FYI...full review and pics have been added :TOH:

Cheers!
ID
Indydawg

Re: Back into a Wested!

Post by Indydawg »

I would post some pics from the website, but I've never been very good at that...but, here is the link to where it was on the site...

http://www.wested.com//raiders---conker ... 3317-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See what I mean? Just mouth-wateringly beautiful...not screen accurate, but if this baby fits well enough, this just MIGHT be the end of my Indy jacket buying days... :shock:

Now where have I heard THAT before :roll: :lol: ;)
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

She's a real beaut! Love the color.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

That hide really is gorgeous! I had something similar to that a number of years. If that's anything like the hide I had I think you'll be very pleased.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Thanks, guys! I'm super-excited, and can't wait to get it in hand!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I'm definitely interested in how it's going to look wearing it. The leather reminds me of a leather smoking jacket I had years ago. I can't wait to see how it looks Dawg :TOH:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Wow! Good looking hide! This one should truly be unique! Anxiously waiting (with you) on this one! I look forward to seeing it when you get it! W>
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Looking forward to it! :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Thanks, gents! It actually reminds me, in colour, anyway, of the first FS Expedition I had...it was a russet cowhide, and had a really nice salmon coloured lining...this Wested seems to be a little deeper brown than that one was.

Anybody know what current typical delivery times are from order?

Yep...the "dang I wish it would hurry and get here" feeling is starting to set in ;)
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

My Wested went from England to California in about 3 days. Pretty fast! But then I was slapped with a high DHL import fee (can't remember, but it was like $70 or something around there).
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Bet that color would go well with the Alden #8 cordovan Indy Boots.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Looks similar in color to the USW Roo hide. Which is to say I really like it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Tracking says delivery TOMORROW! Man, was THAT fast! 8)
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Now we want pictures of you in the jacket!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, this might not be good...

Just to see where the jacket was in the delivery process today, to see, perhaps, when I could expect it, I went to DHL and tracked the jacket using the number Wested had sent me associated with the order number.

Well...when I tracked it...it had already been delivered...to someone in GERMANY named Stephen! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

:clap: Wested...just...wow.

Soooo...I called DHL to see if I could figure out what in the world happened...and, sure enough, the tracking number they gave me was sent to the address on the order...nothing they can do.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I asked her to see if there were ANY shipments coming to my post code today from Wested...and there IS a shipment from Wested scheduled for delivery today :roll: :roll: :roll:

So, now...I have NO idea what I am getting. If the jacket I ordered is actually the jacket that was shipped to Germany, then what am I getting? Stephen's jacket? :-k Or did they just screw up the email notification?

Sigh...Needless to say...I'm not looking forward to this any more.

:-({|= :-({|=

Scheduled for delivery before the end of the day, so...I guess we'll see.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

What a buzz kill. Hope it works out in the end.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
bookman60
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bookman60 »

Bummer :cry: Good luck :tup:
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Here's hoping it's just the wrong tracking # that was sent to you. :shock:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

It's a leap of faith my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I get USPS priority mail tracking numbers sometimes that don't exist when I go to the USPS site. Packages just show up. Just had this happen with a pair of Indy boots from Unionmade.

When I get a DHL delivery here in Germany from Wested, I have to search for it. I get my US mail on base. I will look at the tracking and it will say delivered and my name as signing for it even though I am at work. Have to go door-to-door with several of my neighbors to find it.......
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, that sounds like a little adventure every time you order something :lol:

No sign yet...tracking doesn't give any indication it's left Atlanta yet...

Stay tuned, folks... :roll:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

It's with the "delivery courier" as of 12:40...given the nearly 4 hour drive time from ATL, I'd say around 4:30-5PM today, the mystery will be revealed...

Do I have the jacket I ordered, or do I have Stephen's jacket?

If I have Stephen's...I hope he got something cool, and that it fits... :shock: :twisted:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I once received a package from Wested that turned out to be a black leather hunting waistcoat rather than a goatskin Indy jacket. Needless to say I was less than amused! Hopefully, in your case it really is just a case of them sending you the wrong parcel number. #-o ;)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That was just Gemma giving you a hint that you NEEDED a hunting waistcoat! ;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well, folks...she is here! And, yes, she's the one I ordered, so they must have just sent me the wrong tracking number... :[ whew!

I promise a FULL review with pics tomorrow...for now, I can say a few things with absolute certainty.

1) this is, without a doubt, the coolest and most amazing leather I have ever seen out of Wested! More on this later, believe me =P~

2) this is, without a doubt, also the best Wested I've had cross my path since the very first one I ever got from Michaelson twenty years ago. Again, more on this later.

Initial thoughts, though...

The leather is surreal...wilder in person than in the pics...crazy grain that mimics some of the leathers I've seen in the Nowak jackets I've owned, but softer than you would imagine...and softer than it seems. Light in physical weight, but not thin or flimsy at all...very tough and rugged feeling, in fact...yet, nice enough in finish that I wouldn't feel out of place wearing it out at the nicest restaurant in town or to the office, either.

The colour? It's like a dark bourbon mixed with honey and a hint of milk chocolate. I absolutely love it...

And, of course, there's the Wested leather smell... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

It's not a perfect fit, either...but it's pretty darn good, especially for a clearance rack find!

This leather is so nice, I might venture a custom fit and custom model in it...if I was making the "last Indy Jacket" for real, there are a few niceties I'd like...extra inner pocket maybe, and some slight adjustments to the details...again, more in the full review with pics and fit pics.

For now, I'm just glad she's here, that she's the one I actually ordered, and that it's a solid fit I can wear and enjoy for a good, long while!

Stay tuned for the full review!!! ;) :whip: :TOH:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Can't wait for the review Dawg :tup:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

+1
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Glad the right jacket arrived.

Have to think Stephen is sitting in Germany right now breathing the same sigh of relief.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Indeed, Jeff ;)

I promise the review is coming...just can't seem to take it off long enough to get pictures :lol:

Some time after lunch...really :whip:

Later!
ID
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Okay, all...here goes!

Now, those of you who know me, know that I give as thorough and objective a review as possible, meaning I go over the good, the bad, and the ugly. I hope that no one takes anything I have to say personally, as I never mean to insult...I just have always felt like an objective review is the best way I can help my fellow gear-heads and friends here make educated decisions about the jackets they buy, and from whom they buy them.

With that caveat, for all its shortcomings, this jacket has quickly become one of my favourites in the closet, hasn't really been off my back in the last 24 hours very long, and is, as I said before, honestly the best Wested I've ever seen...with the possible exception of the very first one I ever owned...but that great white whale has eluded me since 1998...and I won't bemoan that loss here...you're welcome, M :lol: 8) !

The leather, as I noted before, reminds me of a dark bourbon, poured up neat, with a little honey, and, perhaps a couple of tablespoons of chocolate...and when I look at it, not only do I want that drink in my hand, I get the sense that if this leather had a taste, it would taste like that drink, too!!! :H:

I am thrilled with the grain, too...it's truly reminiscent of some of the Italian cowhides I've seen in some of the Nowak jackets I've had the good fortune to see in person. Wrinkled and cracked looking, it has the character of a 50 year old jacket, but the finish of a new one...and, again, would not look out of place in any setting, really...except, maybe, black tie :[

And crazy-soft, too...but not so soft you get the sense you have to be careful with it...as it's a light-weight cowhide, and drapes extremely well, but certainly doesn't feel weak.

And the construction is spot-on, too...only a couple of instances of slightly straying stitch lines, and those are on the inside facings along the zipper, so you don't really notice them...might be why it was on the clearance page? :-k

In short, I'd have to have one in the exact same leather, in pretty much the same size, with pretty much the same measurements--AND that corrects the few shortcomings I'm about to hit on--to really replace it...

The cut of the jacket is too full. It's tagged a size 42, and I wear a 40-42 depending on the cut of the coat I'm wearing...but, one of the design "flaws" that Wested incorporates (at least, it's been this way with every 42R I've owned, and I had hoped they'd have corrected it by now) is the building in of too much extra material in the chest...the chest on this jacket measures 24" from pit-to-pit...which makes the jacket really more like a 48R in the chest. BUT, the shoulders and waist all fit fine...which makes the jacket, when you put your arms out to the side, turn you into something that resembles a flying squirrel. Again...not necessarily a HUGE issue, and it certainly makes layering a good bit easier...BUT, my other 42s have, at most 22" chest measurements...and, so, this is an area I'd like to see Wested address on their off-the-rack jackets, and not just in custom orders.

The only other flaw is in the construction details, and it deals with exposed leather edges. Every other Indy jacket company I have owned a jacket from folds all the leather edges under before stitching. Pocket flaps, side straps, everything that comes to an edge, has the edge folded before stitching. It's neat, clean, and looks good. Not Wested...why? How hard is it? Really? Pocket flaps...the top piece of leather that forms the flap is folded under...why not the bottom piece? Where the side straps attach? Check your other Indy jackets...folded before stitching, I guarantee. Why not with Wested? It's a little thing that makes ALL the difference.

All shortcomings aside, though...unless I do decide to go with a custom jacket in this leather, and request the corrections above, and perhaps some additional niceties like a map pocket or red silk lining or something (this would look GREAT with that salmon coloured lining Aero uses for their M422 =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ ), I imagine this one will stay with me a good while! I'm going to have to sell off my US Wings Collector's Edition to cover the cost of it, but I think the jacket actually fits me a little better than the Wings does, anyway, so...win-win, and someone gets a shot at a half-price deal on a GREAT Wings jacket. Be watching the classifieds here ;)

And, here are some pics of just the jacket to whet your appetite...fit pics later when my wife gets home...oh, and I included a shot of the Wings CE for colour comparison...keep in mind it's cloudy as all get-out today here, so the natural light conditions are not 100%...and the Wings has had ONE coat of Pecards since I got it back in the early Fall...so, it's a little darker than it might normally be.

Enjoy, folks! I know I'm enjoying this one!!! Now, maybe one of those honey-chocolate-bourbon thingies... :-k

:TOH:

http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Wolf-D ... s%20jacket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!
ID
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Wow! That is some jacket! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Allow me to =P~
You said that it feels rugged, you mean like it is not going to scratch with the first thorn bush you accidentally brush by rugged or like you could slide on ice on the sidewalk , roll and get up like you meant to do that without a scratch rugged ? Just curious. I am envious.
I also wonder if it would darken a tiny bit with a coat of Peccards too- a little more dark chocolate to the bourbon?
Anyway, I am happy that you have such a great jacket.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Great write-up! Please don't Pecard that beautiful hide. It is a gorgeous leather, and yeah, not screen accurate but just a fantastic jacket in the theme of...

I appreciate your comment on the unfinished edges of leather on the pocket flaps, etc. I totally agree. Wested never used to do this but for some reason began in the past couple years. It really annoys me.

Really a beautiful jacket though. Congrats!
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well...good questions!

I'd wear it in the woods and not be too worried about a briar scratching the leather...and a fall on the sidewalk...yeah, would probably put a nice abrasion on the surface...but, isn't that what we're all trying to emulate anyway? :lol:

So, to answer your question...I'm not intending to baby her...and no Pecards until she needs it, Tibor 8) Thanks, man!!! And I don't know. My brother has a Wested from the late 90s that has the exposed leather on the straps and pocket flaps. Seems they've been doing it as long as I've been getting jackets from them. But it is...lazy.

And thanks to you, too, Whipcracker! I appreciate the envy! It's a really nice one!

Oh...and the fit pics have been copied to the slideshow :TOH:

Cheers!
'Dawg
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

But, hey...you know what, Tibor? I found some old pics of a goatskin Wested LC jacket that I had some years back...maybe eight or ten...and you know what I see in the pics? FOLDED POCKET FLAPS AND STRAPS....

Check it out, man...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_3857.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...this IS just something that's apparently hit or miss...SOMEONE at Wested does it right...

So, now the question becomes...do I try this one last time, and really get the jacket I want with the pockets and all done right? Do I let this one go, along with the Wings, to try and get the great white whale...the elusive perfect Wested?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Old friend, you're chasing a shadow. ;)

Another fine jacket , by the way. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I still have my very first Wested Raiders (circa 1998), and it has the exposed edges on the reverse side of the pockets and side adjustment straps. My beloved Wested CS has the exact same raw edges, but I always considered that detail one of the defining features of the classic Indy jacket. The unfinished parts also neatly match the unfinished inner facings of the Alden boots, which I immediately noted from day one. Granted, a folded-and-sewn edge is aesthetically neater, but I never considered the raw edges defective or lazy on the part of the manufacturer. It's all gravy to me. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I agree with M, leave well enough alone. You're going to attempt to spec out a custom order with Wested and most likely will still not get exactly what you want. You have a beauty there with the leather texture and color. A bit big in the chest, but like you said, allows for layering.

I checked my Indy jackets. My Wested (c2000) and USW roo hide both have similar raw edges on the pockets and straps. Only the G&B has folded over, finished edges. As another data point, I got a W&G A2 (c1980s according to the listing) for Christmas and the pockets have the folded finish on the flaps.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Aye, you're most likely right, M and Jeff...chasing shadows, indeed.

But the quest...maybe the thrill really IS in the chase :-k

Time will tell, of course...and, really, thanks for all the affirmation :H:

She really is a beaut! And wearing in nicely already...already developing the tell-tale bunching on the sleeves that will slowly wear down the surfaces over the years, exposing the lighter brown underneath...that lovely patina of age...rather like its owner, more and more...grey hairs, M...can you believe that!? :lol:

Thanks for joining me on the quest all these years, guys...you all are REALLY the fun part!

:TOH:
'Dawg
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I've probably ordered 10-12 jackets directly from Wested and picked up another half dozen second hand. I may have just lucked out but only saw this unfinished flap stuff fairly recently. The other odd thing are these brown/bronze/brass colored zips. Often they don't extend to the bottom of the wind flap either.

Just seems like the details drift a bit over time. I guess it depends on your patience or budget as it seems a bit like whack-a-mole; you'll hit one set of details and then find that the yoke and sleeve seams have been lined up, or the collar has grown too big, or the pocket proportions have gotten off.

I truly like Wested, but it's not a good place for the overly obsessive. :D

I think you wear the new one and let it break in nicely over time. That leather is awesome. :TOH:

Indydawg wrote:But, hey...you know what, Tibor? I found some old pics of a goatskin Wested LC jacket that I had some years back...maybe eight or ten...and you know what I see in the pics? FOLDED POCKET FLAPS AND STRAPS....

Check it out, man...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_3857.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...this IS just something that's apparently hit or miss...SOMEONE at Wested does it right...

So, now the question becomes...do I try this one last time, and really get the jacket I want with the pockets and all done right? Do I let this one go, along with the Wings, to try and get the great white whale...the elusive perfect Wested?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I truly like Wested, but it's not a good place for the overly obsessive. :D
You can say THAT, again, buddy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And, although I'm not too worried about it getting worse to the point of the pocket flap falling off...sigh...right cargo pocket flap stitch popped at the corner nearest the zipper edge...just popped, and the stitching started coming loose...the top stitch has held, so I really don't think it will come off...but, seriously? On a brand new jacket?

Pics here...
http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Wolf-D ... p%20damage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...anyone know what kind of needle I'd have to buy to re-stitch this? I can't see sending it anywhere to have just this fixed, but, I don't want to just leave it like this indefinitely...

](*,)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Tibor wrote:I truly like Wested, but it's not a good place for the overly obsessive.
That's the secret of their success! :lol:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Indydawg wrote: And, although I'm not too worried about it getting worse to the point of the pocket flap falling off...sigh...right cargo pocket flap stitch popped at the corner nearest the zipper edge...just popped, and the stitching started coming loose...the top stitch has held, so I really don't think it will come off...but, seriously? On a brand new jacket?

Holy cow! That's unacceptable! :shock:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah...it's definitely a bummer, Jeff...I have ordered some leather needles from Tandy leather company...the curved kind like you might do stitches with...so, I'm going to try to match the thread, and see if I can stitch this baby back up.

We'll see...

But, yeah...definitely not cool. :x

And they really ought to fold the edges of the leather before they stitch...I know I'm harping on that, but, really...if you can fold the top half, you can fold the bottom half. It's that simple...and it just doesn't look professional.

Okay...off the soapbox.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indydawg wrote:...I have ordered some leather needles from Tandy leather company...the curved kind like you might do stitches.
In the trade, those are called 'undertaker's needles'. I'll leave the 'why' to your imagination. ;)

Regard! M
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

No imagination necessary...I had a buddy who interned with an undertaker in high school...I got invited to "ride along," so to speak on one of their heavy work nights...and I worked with my uncle in his vet office helping with surgeries, too...same needle...for the same purposes ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Been there, done that too.....decided on a different career path. ;)

Regards! M
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:lol: :lol:

Yes, sir...literary scholarship, and the quest...always the quest.

It sure has been a fun ride. :whip:

:H:
'Dawg