My new Stetson Stratoliner

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My new Stetson Stratoliner

Post by Mark Brody »

I was lucky enough to get a Stetson Stratoliner Premiere on my last birthday. I've only just now gotten around to taking pics of it. Time will tell how well the hat holds up. Stetson's been kind of a mixed bag since I got into hats, but this one sounds like it might be a winner, based on the words of other owners here and at TFL. I was on the fence between Caribou (grey) and Cornhill (tan). I really like the Caribou hat, but I usually wear browns. It looks like the Caribou might be a grey that would work well with brown, but it's hard to tell from online photos. In any case, I've had a hole in my hat collection since I sold both my light brown/tan hats years ago (which, coincidentally, were both vintage Stetsons). My wife told me I should stick with the Cornhill, and I can't say it was a bad decision. Anyway, here are the pics...

...because unboxing is apparently a thing
When I first got the hat, I put it on without shaping it at all, and asked my wife what she thought of it. She wasn't impressed.
And finally, I decided to keep the side bashes shallow and put a teardrop in this one - a fairly deep teardrop, too. I may tweak it a little more, but for the time being, I like the shape.
IndianaDan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: My new Stetson Stratoliner

Post by IndianaDan »

Nice hat! :clap:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Good looking hat and your bash is superb! W>
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

I have that hat from their recent collection...I put a slightly wider band on it and we using it as a beater hat but my wife liked it the way it looked so much that I now use it as a most days hat. Very tough and holding it's shape great after being crushed several times and drenched in rain. Good buy!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Nice looking lid! I've been seriously thinking about adding a Stetson to my collection, because a hat shelf isn't complete without a Stetson. After seeing these photos and reading that you are satisfied with the quality, that Stetson buy is getting even closer.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

The rebash makes it look a whole lot better, the style really looks good on you :tup:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

That is a fine looking lid. It looks good, mate!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

That color looks really nice. I think you made the right choice. I've owned Caribou Stetsons, and while it does lean toward an earthier gray, it tended to work only with specific browns. That Cornhill looks like a nice versatile color!